PDA

View Full Version : PIN Messages

thehammer123
01-05-2009, 12:57 PM
It is much discussed on the web that PIN messages are not encripted, so if intercepted they could be easily read. My question is, how easy is it for them to be "intercepted", and could just anyone intercept them? Would it have to be someone in an IT department, or could someone that knows what they're doing get my messages on their blackberry? For example, if someone had access to my BB, is there a way for them to set it up to where they are cc'd on my PIN messages without me knowing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

CO_BBTechie
01-05-2009, 01:12 PM
It is much discussed on the web that PIN messages are not encripted, so if intercepted they could be easily read. My question is, how easy is it for them to be "intercepted", and could just anyone intercept them? Would it have to be someone in an IT department, or could someone that knows what they're doing get my messages on their blackberry? For example, if someone had access to my BB, is there a way for them to set it up to where they are cc'd on my PIN messages without me knowing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PIN messages ARE encrypted if they are sent & received within your own BES community. i.e. to another BlackBerry on the same BES as you.

Outside the community, even if sent to another BlackBerry, I'm not certain that they are encrypted..

Your PIN message never really leaves the RIM infrastructure however, but it can be seen/logged/backed up/restored, etc... by anyone who manages any of the routing equipment your message hits.

Just get yourself a secure point-to-point email account if you're so concerned about privacy. And put a password on your device so you won't have to worry about anyone changing your settings.