PDA

View Full Version : Desktop won't Recognize 8820

VentureForth
01-06-2009, 09:25 AM
As mentioned in another thread, I had a Curve that was stolen twice in one week. A compassionate IT friend gave me a surplus 8820.

I have DM 4.6 on my Vista PC. I hope it still has all my contact information from the last time I synced my 8310. However, whenever I plug my 8820 into my USB port, I get the requisite blips stating that the computer knows that something is plugged in. Even once, I got a message that says "New Hardware - Blackberry... Installed".

I don't ever get a message on my BB asking if I want to connect via "media mode" or to the DM. After hooking up, there is no more communication between the PC and 8820.

Other threads I searched recommended removing DM and clean installing everything. I wouldn't mind, but I would sure like to preserve my contact list that lurks on my PC somewhere.

Somehow, I need to be able to open a line of communication between my 8820 and PC so I can upgrade the OS from 4.2 to 4.5.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

jsconyers
01-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Uninstalling DM should not remove your backup files. Is there an IT policy on the device? Options > Security Options > General Settings > IT Policy Name = ???

VentureForth
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
IT Policy Name:Default

Should I clear it?

krisdee73
01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Clearing the default policy won't do anything unless the actual policy implemented is called "default" as coming from a BES. You seem to have a PC problem but check the prerequisite troubleshooting, your connecting cable to the PC, the USB port (you stated your not getting a recognition beep), port on the actual BB (connect to another PC), etc. You might have a dirty port on the BB or PC, I've seen this in the past and it has caused the issue you speak of. Let us know..