PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Blackberry/IMAP/Exchange questions

ScaldedDog
01-09-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Storm - my first smartphone - despite my employers preference for WM devices. I plan to simply IMAP my mail directly from my employer, who supports IMAP on their Exchange 2007 servers. (Huge corporation, with *no* support for anything outside the norm.)

1) Can I use IMAP without BIS? Any downsides to that?

2) If I get a meeting request, can I accept it and have it added to my calendar?

3) Are phone numbers in messages linked so that I can dial them directly, without typing the number?

Thanks,

Mark

skyman84
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
1) Can I use IMAP without BIS? Any downsides to that?
No,
You must use BIS to connect to your works exchange server, but there should be no issues with that. You'll need a BIS data package to use the internet/email functions anyway.

2) If I get a meeting request, can I accept it and have it added to my calendar?
Yes, but remember that your calander wont sync wirelessly, so you'll have to be careful if you're going to be using deksotp manager to sync.

3) Are phone numbers in messages linked so that I can dial them directly, without typing the number?
Yes, just like a webpage the numbers appear as hyperlinks, you can just select it and dial.

Hope that helps!

ScaldedDog
01-09-2009, 02:11 PM
It sure does!! Thanks man!

Mark

ScaldedDog
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
One more question:

4) Will I be able to use Google Maps interactive on a Storm? In other words, has VzW screwed up the GPS on Blackberry's like they have on the WM phones?

Thanks,

Mark

SteveO86
01-09-2009, 10:55 PM
FYI, VZW has 2 different data plans, one for 29.99 which is for BIS and another which is 44.99 (I think) which is BES so if you planning to go on a BES you will need the expensive plan.