PDA

View Full Version : Problems with ALERTS on Blackberry Messenger

Don Henry
01-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi fellow forum members,

I did search this forum before posting this - and I am fully familiar with setting alert tones for different profiles and applications - but this problem is a real hair puller. A friend of mine with the same AT&T Curve and O/S version is experiencing the identical issue - so we believe it is not "operator error"

At&T Curve 8310, with O/S V4.2.2.170

I am trying to set alerts for Blackberry Messenger so that I receive an audio alert when PINGED - however, with everything I have tried, I DO get the audio alert, but once the conversation is opened, I also get the audio alert with EVERY MESSAGE RECEIVED WITHIN THE CONVERSATION!

Profile settings are as follows (note all are same for IN and OUT OF HOLSTER):

Level 1 messages:
Tone
Volume - medium
LED flashing
Number of vibrations - 2

Messenger Alert
Tone
Number of beeps - 3
Volume - medium
LED flashing
Number of vibrations - 2

Messenger - New message
Tone
Volume - medium
Number of beeps - 3
LED flashing
Number of vibrations - 2

I have tried setting Messenger - New Nessage to NONE (no tone) and have also tried setting Volume to MUTE - but then I DO NOT get the audio alert when PINGED. I also tried selecting a "quieter" tone on New Message and setting volume to LOW (so at least the constant alerts would not be so onboxious) - but then the "quieter" tone and lowered volume is what I get for ALERTS.

For what it is worth - this problem also exists in the LOUD profile as well.

What I am trying to accomplish: get an audio alert ONCE when PINGED, and/or ONCE when a new conversation is opened (if not first being PINGED by the sender) - but NO AUDIO ALERT OR VIBRATION WITH EVERY MESSAGE RECEIVED.

If anyone can help with this, we would be very, very appreciative.

John Clark
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Your OS is out of date. You might try updating it and see if the problem still exists. Check the sticky thread in the 8300 forum for the latest OS for your specific device.

Heavy Fluid
01-24-2009, 08:27 PM
What I am trying to accomplish: get an audio alert ONCE when PINGED, and/or ONCE when a new conversation is opened (if not first being PINGED by the sender) - but NO AUDIO ALERT OR VIBRATION WITH EVERY MESSAGE RECEIVED.

If anyone can help with this, we would be very, very appreciative.

I don't think that this is possible, unless there is a third party application out there. You cannot set it to just alert you once the conversation is started, it will alert you every time you receive a message from that person.

John Clark
01-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Agreed. I misread it. What you're trying to do is not possible. You get alerts for either all messages or no messages.