PDA

View Full Version : What *can* I do with no ATT data plan?

hoosier_puck
01-30-2009, 04:13 PM
It looks like I might have screwed up! I'm a BB newbie, and I thought the BB would be like other devices where a WiFi connection would allow some of the basics (Web, email). I'm coming to the conclusion this might not be true.

With my ATT 8320, can I actually:

- Browse the web? My only options are MediaNet and Hotspot Browser. Even when I have a Wi-Fi connection, the message I receive is "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later"

- Get email - the only email options are "I want to use a work email account with a BES server" or "skip email setup"

Am I missing something in the setup or did something get disabled/minimized by ATT?

Thanks in advance.

jjmach
01-30-2009, 04:29 PM
To get your e-mails pushed you need a blackberry data plan, there's a few things you can do without a data plan, I think on the FAQ section are some information about it. Just search a little bit

Regards

CO_BBTechie
01-30-2009, 04:31 PM
You *can* view the FAQ's;

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F)

Damaged7
01-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Wirelessly posted

You *can* post a thread and have a discussion about it.

Wait no you can't people will just post you a link.

jsconyers
01-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Wirelessly posted

Yes, the link is an FAQ (Frequently Asked Question). Why have another thread on something that has been asked frequently?

That just clutters the forums and makes it difficult for others who actually use the search feature.

akosnitzky
02-01-2009, 07:10 AM
Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

You can also use the device as a paper weight.

rambo47
02-01-2009, 10:40 AM
You can whip it out dramatically, appropriate scowl on your face, type furiously as if you're actually responding to an urgent email pushed to your device, then put a triumphant look on your face as you sent the reply, appearing confident that you just saved the day for your company. You'll know, of course, that without a Blackberry data plan you're just playing around, but others around you just might buy it. Chicks did important guys. :)

Damaged7
02-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Wirelessly posted

Might as well shut down the forums and put some more FAQ sites up.

Sometimes people want to hear it from someone else or they want to discuss it. You can't talk with a FAQ that may or may not even contain the answer you're looking for.

jsconyers
02-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Wirelessly posted

Sometimes people want to hear it from someone else or they want to discuss it. You can't talk with a FAQ that may or may not even contain the answer you're looking for.

Or, you could search the forums (that you wish were shut down) for the same topic that has been discussed hundreds of times. There is a purpose for FAQ's. There is nothing wrong with posting a link to an FAQ that has the answer to the OP's question.

In this case the FAQ did contain the answer that the OP was looking for. Regardless, we are off topic. The OP's question was answered in the FAQ link. This thread is going nowhere. We will just have to agree to disagree.

rambo47
02-01-2009, 02:50 PM
When people get a Blackberry and don't use the data plan, that's cool as long as they knew what they were getting into before buying. More power to 'em!

What frosts most folks here is when some tool buys a Blackberry without having a clue what he's getting, probably just for the "bling effect", and then comes looking for ways to get the data plan services without getting the data plan. "But....but....but....I want email. Waaaaaa!"
http://homepage.mac.com/rseijas/.Pictures/faceslap.gif

TroyDBrown
02-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Wirelessly posted

http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/99353-8320-without-data-plan-what-you-can-can-t-do.html

kaylus
02-01-2009, 03:19 PM
It looks like I might have screwed up! I'm a BB newbie, and I thought the BB would be like other devices where a WiFi connection would allow some of the basics (Web, email). I'm coming to the conclusion this might not be true.

With my ATT 8320, can I actually:

- Browse the web? My only options are MediaNet and Hotspot Browser. Even when I have a Wi-Fi connection, the message I receive is "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later"

- Get email - the only email options are "I want to use a work email account with a BES server" or "skip email setup"

Am I missing something in the setup or did something get disabled/minimized by ATT?

Thanks in advance.

What you can do without the blackberry plan is send recieve sms/mms texts and make calls and snyc it with your pc. Thats all.

TroyDBrown
02-01-2009, 03:21 PM
What you can do without the blackberry plan is send recieve sms/mms texts and make calls and snyc it with your pc. Thats all.

Not totally true. Follow the link I posted above. You can web browse, use Wi-Fi enabled apps, etc.

digitaldazz
02-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Actually you can get push email, full bb browser, ota installs, google maps, google sync, google mail - pushed to ur phone, instant messaging, BBweather.

In fact just as much as a data plan but at a fraction of the cost!

You can do all this using a pay as you go sim aswell - no contract!!

you can get a payg data option for $10 which will give you 200MB data per month.

Micropitt
02-01-2009, 06:09 PM
The AT&T Data plan only is $15/month per line (on family plan). I'm not sure how much it would be on a individual plan.

tsac
02-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Actually you can get push email, full bb browser, ota installs, google maps, google sync, google mail - pushed to ur phone, instant messaging, BBweather.

In fact just as much as a data plan but at a fraction of the cost!

You can do all this using a pay as you go sim aswell - no contract!!

you can get a payg data option for $10 which will give you 200MB data per month.

Wirelessly posted

To digitaldazz
First , Save yourself some time and look into the low end data plan as a start

To Damaged7
If you bothered to read the posts in this forum you might have understood the suggestion TroyDBrown made to read the fAQ. It does offer a lot of information and detail that would otherwise take a lot of time to retype...got it!:x

Johnny909
02-02-2009, 08:43 AM
The AT&T Data plan only is $15/month per line (on family plan). I'm not sure how much it would be on a individual plan.

I do not think AT&T will allow their $15 per month plans to be used on a Blackberry. Perhaps you can, but almost 99.9% certain AT&T will require you to rent their standard BB plan.
Go to your local AT&T super store, chat up the rep, and see what they say.
Later gator
:smile:

CO_BBTechie
02-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Wirelessly posted

Well of course you may have a discussion about it. As was suggested by others, when someone posts an FAQ link, it typically has most or all of the information the OP was after. If, after reading the FAQ, the OP had questions, I would have certainly taken the time to answer or otherwise discuss the subject further, as would many other members here. The FAQ has more in-depth information than a quick post might afford.

Would you have us go into the FAQ and cut and paste the contents, or regurgitate everything we know on the topic? Makes sense to me to give the OP some base knowledge on the topic via a link to information someone has already taken the time to lay out, then let them inquire further, to what they do not understand, or need more information on. Flaming someone for posting a link is just counter productive and off-topic IMO.

rambo47
02-02-2009, 11:26 AM
I do not think AT&T will allow their $15 per month plans to be used on a Blackberry. Perhaps you can, but almost 99.9% certain AT&T will require you to rent their standard BB plan.
Go to your local AT&T super store, chat up the rep, and see what they say.
Later gator
:smile:

Correct. MEdia Net will not get you Blackberry data services like email or BB Messenger. You need the $30/month BIS plan or greater.

betterlate1
02-02-2009, 11:38 AM
It's actually $35/mo with a discount of $5/mo when piggybacking on a qualifying voice plan.

PS: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

digitaldazz
02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
You can get wap push email using the funambol website without a data plan.
funambol will push email accounts straight to your google mail app.

usblues1965
02-03-2009, 01:43 PM
You can whip it out dramatically, appropriate scowl on your face, type furiously as if you're actually responding to an urgent email pushed to your device, then put a triumphant look on your face as you sent the reply, appearing confident that you just saved the day for your company. You'll know, of course, that without a Blackberry data plan you're just playing around, but others around you just might buy it. Chicks did important guys. :)

Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!! I spit pepsi out of my nose on that one!!!!
I think I may try that too.....hmmmmmm.

jacobsaa
02-03-2009, 01:51 PM
make calls and tell time

jonnn21
02-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Story: I like the blackberry for the PDA fact. I used to carry a PDA and a phone around.
I like them for the durability. I lost mine in the snow, rain, mud and frozen ice for 4 months. washed it off blew out the dirt and it works like a champion. Thats why people buy them. I would like to just view the web on the phone. I dont think I should have to get a data plan for that. Screw email, I dont use the phone for that. Yeah I know what a crime.

Also, maybe unlike yourself, some people cant afford the data plan. Some people arent that rich!

Let the flamming begin!!