PDA

View Full Version : why is this even on my phone??

Echounit
02-05-2009, 06:27 AM
I dont know why this comes up on my screen every time my phone is locked...

"Research in motion LTD.
This BB has Blank IT policy on it written by John Clark from blackberry forums" I had to leave out the dot com so I can post this...

When I unlock my BB it goes away...Why is it there and how the heck can I make it go away for good??

Thank you for your time...

ezrunner
02-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

It is on there because at some point there was a security policy on the device! There is a procedure to remove the policy that was created by John Clark one of the moderators here.
What device are you using? I am on via wap and cannot tell. If it is a newer device load the 4.5 software download JL_CMDER and use it to restore to original state and it will remove any ITpolicy remnants as well as mr clarks fantastik solution to the IT policy

Dreskills
02-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Wirelessly posted

That's not true just go to. Options>Owner and change that info to what you want it to say on the screen when its locked.

Echounit
02-05-2009, 06:49 AM
I am using the 8130 and have the v4.5.0.89,how would I get the download JL_CMDER ? Edit...Dreskills ..I did what you said and it worked...I dont understand how it got there and honestly pretty PO'd so what else can someone just decide to change on my BB..

ezrunner
02-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

There is info and a link for jl_cmder in the FAQ section. Dreskills is right but that blank policy is still there. Jl_cmder will set the device to its factory settings

Echounit
02-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Ok cool,I will check it out..

So I would still like to know how the heck it got there..lol.

JSanders
02-05-2009, 07:48 AM
"Someone" didn't just put it on there, but you or you allowed someone to remove the IT Policy on the device, or perhaps before you purchased it.

Either way, your BB has not been violated. That message lets you know the IT Policy has been removed.

All you need to do now is go to Options > Owner and enter your own information there and SAVE.

John Clark
02-05-2009, 08:47 AM
I am using the 8130 and have the v4.5.0.89,how would I get the download JL_CMDER ? Edit...Dreskills ..I did what you said and it worked...I dont understand how it got there and honestly pretty PO'd so what else can someone just decide to change on my BB..

You're PO'd???? As stated by others at one time your device was connected to a BES (or BB Unite!) and got an IT policy applied to it that may have restricted it's functionality, i.e. disabled the camera or required a password, and/or more.

I wrote a post here on how to remove it (actually, adds a blank, unrestrictive policy.) You can find it here. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/67224-remove-policy.html) Method #2 is the blank IT policy method that was used on your device. With OS 4.5 you can now remove the policy completely by using method #1 in the same post.

The reason I put my name in there and where to find me is because without it you would never know that there is actually a blank policy on the device instead of no policy. It allowed you to come here and find info about it. Now you even know that besides being able to remove it from the "Owner Info" you can even remove the policy completely. It would seem I've done you a big favor by putting that info in there. No reason to be PO'd.

John Clark
02-05-2009, 08:50 AM
There are even repair shops and places that refurbish thousands of devices a year that have used my Remove IT Policy thread. I've seen refurb'd devices come with that blank policy on it.

JSanders
02-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Echounit, perhaps, EVEN a "thank you" is in order.

Take off your mad pants and put on your glad pants! :)

Shaun
02-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Take off your mad pants and put on your glad pants! :)

Don't forget step two. I did before, and it got me in a lot of trouble at work.

Echounit
02-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Well now that I see it differently I guess,lol...I would have to say thank you..I havent noticed anything else on my BB,everything seems to be working just fine..I only noticed that I cannot remove the Real Tone Jukebox icon..I deleted it from my apps but the icon wont go away,lol..Thats the only thing thats odd so far I have seen...

I was only upset that some dude I had no clue who he was "you" had access to my BB,lol..I have no clue what the BES (or BB Unite!) is... I dont know if it happened when Alltel updated my BB or I downloaded the Y Weather app..

So I am sorry to rant and rave but I was concerned for my personall things on my BB...I have an airsoft forum and I have to worry about using certain javascript codes or the writer can gain access to my forums...I was worried the same was going on here on my BB...

John Clark
02-05-2009, 09:24 AM
The Jukebox icon is a service book. You can delete it but your carrier will push it back out again. Just hide it and forget about it.

It's possible that when Alltell updated it the policy got applied. The policy MUST be removed from the computer after it's applied to the restricted device, otherwise EVERY device that's connected will get the blank policy.

jsconyers
02-05-2009, 09:30 AM
<deleted> JC's too quick....

Echounit
02-17-2009, 12:05 AM
By every device,is that every Blackberry...Or everything including my Ipod,wifes MP3 player etc?? I read the instructions but holey smokes did I end up dazed and confused,lol..

I havent connected the BB to my PC yet and not sure I even need to at this point actually..

JSanders
02-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Every device = every BlackBerry.

You will want to rid yourself of the policy off your PC so that you can do a backup of the BlackBerry from time to time.

Ricky-Ray
02-17-2009, 12:52 AM
It's interesting the last few devices that I have received for new activations on our BES server at work. The people have bought the devices new from either the AT&T store or the T-Mobile store and have come with that same line too. I wonder if it's something AT&T or T-Mobile is using also.

takeshi
02-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Are these actually new BB's or "new" refurbs?

Echounit
02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Brand new actually..I didnt have the message come up at first but then 2 days after the purchase I noticed I wasnt able to do MMS picture messages so I went into AllTel they said I needed a half hour update and about and hour or so later I get my phone back get home and this was on there,lol..It cannot be that I downloaded it or anything cause I still was new to the BB and didnt even know I could yet..The guy behind the counter downloaded a google maps thing for me and then I realized I had a mini freaking computer in my hands,lol..

JSanders
02-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Apparently the Alltel service center use the remove IT policy thread here to remove an IT policy off your device....

CO_BBTechie
02-17-2009, 05:29 PM
JC... you should've copyrighted your policy file! You'd be rollin' in the dough by now!