PDA

View Full Version : BIS Email Push Times Slow

Nivisec
02-05-2009, 11:00 AM
So I got a new Curve from Sprint and I really love the phone, but my only problem is the extreme time it takes to get an email pushed to it.

Personal email is ok to have a 2 to 15 min push time, but my work email I need to be better. Right now it auto set-up to use Outlook Web Access, with no easy way to change it (Sprint doesn't allow manual setup I guess). I called them and they said they could change it to IMAP over the phone, but I'll have to get IMAP publicly available from IT.

My question is, will using IMAP make my email push in faster? Or is the 2 to 15 min lag there regardless of how it gets the email? I was asking my iPhone toting friends and they just said "It just works" for their settings, so I looked it up and it uses ActiveSync to get their emails instantly. I'm guessing no way to do this on the Blackberry...

No I can't use BES. Sprint wants an additional like $20 or $30 a month to enable it and the only other person in our company that has a Blackberry right now uses the free BES license anyway (the company president) with 0% chance of them buying one for me.

I love this phone, but with the crappy push times on my work email, it cuts the usefulness in half.

Dubdub
02-05-2009, 11:49 AM
BIS polls your email servers every 15 minutes. If mail is found then it is pushed tothe device straight away and will repoll in 2-3 minutes. If mail is found then, it is pushed and the repoll will occur again in 2-3 minutes, until no mail appears. At which time, RIM reverts to the 15 minute cycle. This is how it works and the only way to speed it up is to use BIS, or perhaps forward to Gmail or maybe Yahoo.

Personally, I have never found the 15 minute delay to be a real big deal. Some mail takes 15 mins, others come quicker. I gies sit is what you get used to. As a company VP and now CEO, it is all I use. If you really need instant email, then go with a hosted BES or maybe back to Win Mobile. Or just evaluate your need to stay in touch in real time.

Nivisec
02-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the input, it is reassuring to know that there is the 2-3 min time between polls on concurrent emails (which is acceptable to me). That makes it easier to deal with because most of my issues was the perceived potential up to 15 mins when I'm having an ongoing conversation via email.

I guess bothering the IT guy to set up IMAP isn't going to help things, so that makes life easier too.

Believe me, there's no way I want to go to a windows mobile device :) We have developed some apps for it and the stability isn't remotely close to what my Blackberry is.