PDA

View Full Version : South Korea and BB Messenger

Stoo06
02-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi...

I have a kid about to move to Korea to work for a year. Can anyone tell me if he picks up a BB over there, can we communicate for free using BB Messenger?

I text with a friend in Australia, but get dinged .15 per message for international messages...

Thanks~

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 09:49 AM
BlackBerry works there, but it is very difficult to get BlackBerry service from the local providers there.

Your best bet is to sign for the unlimited international BlackBerry data plan from T-Mobile USA (I do realize you are in Canada) and put the SIM into an unlocked Bold or 8707g.

Stoo06
02-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks dc/dc. Nothing is ever simple is it? ;)

S

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks dc/dc. Nothing is ever simple is it? ;)

S

Unfortunately no.

Despite South Korea (and Japan as well) being extremely advanced, they are not reliant on mobile e-mail.

takeshi
02-06-2009, 10:36 AM
BB Messenger has no additional charges. Doesn't matter where you are in the world (as long as you have BB data). It's like any other data. They don't charge you extra for international data packets. ;-)

Now, if you're roaming internationally without an international BB data plan and using any data services you'l pay your carrier's international data roaming rate.

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 10:39 AM
BB Messenger has no additional charges. Doesn't matter where you are in the world (as long as you have BB data). It's like any other data. They don't charge you extra for international data packets. ;-)

Now, if you're roaming internationally without an international BB data plan and using any data services you'l pay your carrier's international data roaming rate.

Right. Hence the reason I recommended T-Mobile's unlimited international BB data plan. :)

Stoo06
02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks folks. He is leaving in a couple of weeks, so we'll look into the t-Mobile thing. We're only 45 minutes from the border and often cross to ski in NYS...

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks folks. He is leaving in a couple of weeks, so we'll look into the t-Mobile thing. We're only 45 minutes from the border and often cross to ski in NYS...

Please do note that none the of the devices T-Mobile sells will work in SK. As I mentioned above, you will need an unlocked Bold or 8707g/h/v.

CSO
06-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Just for clarification, does the first paragraph above mean what it says: if both parties have a BB data plan, then there's no charge to message back and forth internationally via BB Messenger?

the last paragraph seems to contradict this, no? I would appreciate clarification. Thanks

ifonline
06-15-2009, 12:54 PM
BlackBerry Messenger doesn't incur per message fees like SMS/MMS does. BBM does require a data plan, however, and when roaming internationally, you will need an international roaming plan to avoid the carrier dinging you for roaming charges.

So, if you are in the US, and your BBM contact is visiting Japan on a US phone, for example, then as long as you have a US data plant and your contact has a data plan that doesn't charge international roaming fees, then there is no additional charges for using BBM. If your contact doesn't have an international roaming data plan, then he will be charged by the carrier for any data used while roaming (which can get very expensive).

Trimix
06-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Let us know how it goes. I was under the impression that Tmobile only had an international email-only (not full on data) plan, but I could be wrong.

onehoon
06-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Wirelessly posted

I am using BB9000 in south korea
SK Telecom is selling BB9000 now
I think there is no problem using BB9000 and BB messenger with BB9000 in south korea