PDA

View Full Version : LTE Question

jarodl
02-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Since AT&T and Verizon have adopted LTE as their 4th generation of technology does that mean that we will finally be able to have the same phones? Will all of the bands be the same so we can use an unlocked AT&T phone on Verizon and vice versa?

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Not necessarily, but I would certainly hope so.

jarodl
02-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Care to explain?

Arcangel
02-06-2009, 09:59 AM
I am assuming so, I have friends that are techs for both companies and it seems that the answer will be yes. There might be more exclusivity deals on certain phones, but being that the LTE standard that they are adopting will be global and that they both use SIM cards on LTE all be it next gen SIM. The phones will be able to be used on both and then eventually T-Mobile as well. Only Sprint will be exclusively locked down per se, because they are switching to WiMaxx

rachamphetamine
02-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Care to explain?

Well, AT&T and T-Mobile both have 3G, but they are not compatible because they are different bands. I think this is what dc/dc was trying to get at.

Arcangel
02-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Well thats not an equal comparison. The 3G was chosen by T-Mobile to be different on purpose. It's even different than there own 3G in germany! LTE will be the same standar/frequencies worldwide. That's why VZW chose to join AT&T on it so they can compete globally with them.

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Care to explain?

As far as I know, Verizon has been discussing deploying LTE in the 700 MHz frequency they recently purchase, a space that I do not believe at&t or carriers in the rest of the world have.

That said, since all of the phones will be using the same technology, it wouldn't be that hard to add all the frequencies in use, but I'm afraid we'll end up with the same situation we have now, where even within the GSM world, companies tend to sell phones that work on their bands only. For example: the Nokia E-Series phones are sold in two versions. One works on GSM and UMTS/HSDPA 2100, while the other works on GSM and UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900 for the US. This makes it difficult for people like me that want 3GSM everywhere in the world like I get on my Bold and iPhone. It is entirely possible to put all 5 UMTS bands (850/900/1700/1900/2100) onto a phone, but manufacturers won't do it because the carriers won't allow it.

Arcangel
02-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Actually that 700MHZ that VZW and other Carriers bought into, HAS to be OPENED as per government mandate when purchased. So they can not use that for LTE

rachamphetamine
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Well thats not an equal comparison. The 3G was chosen by T-Mobile to be different on purpose. It's even different than there own 3G in germany! LTE will be the same standar/frequencies worldwide. That's why VZW chose to join AT&T on it so they can compete globally with them.

Ah, nevermind then. That was only me taking a shot at explaining anyway since I haven't kept up with LTE discussions.. well, at all. Either way, I learned something new today. :-)

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM

That's not correct. At all.

T-Mobile put HSDPA onto the bands they did because that is where the FCC allowed them to do it, not because they wanted to be different.

LTE probably will NOT be on the same bands worldwide as they are in the US because the FCC and the regulators of the EU and other countries may not have the same frequencies open.

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Actually that 700MHZ that VZW and other Carriers bought into, HAS to be OPENED as per government mandate when purchased. So they can not use that for LTE

Sure it can. Any technology can be deployed on any frequency. The openness only refers to the devices.

Arcangel
02-06-2009, 10:27 AM
dc/dc what you are stating is alot of probablies and speculation!! I am telling you what the 2 technical engineers I know have been telling me. This move was made to fall into a global move. Just as AT&T uses the same GSM/3G frequency all over the world so will they use the same LTE. The reason verizon went wth LTE is Because Vodafone is going LTE so they will use the Same LTE frequency all over the World!!!!

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 10:37 AM
dc/dc what you are stating is alot of probablies and speculation!! I am telling you what the 2 technical engineers I know have been telling me. This move was made to fall into a global move. Just as AT&T uses the same GSM/3G frequency all over the world so will they use the same LTE. The reason verizon went wth LTE is Because Vodafone is going LTE so they will use the Same LTE frequency all over the World!!!!

That's great that you know two engineers. I AM a wireless engineer, and I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that LTE will NOT be deployed in the same radio bands worldwide. The technology, LTE, will be the same worldwide, but the radio bands on which it is deployed will not.

Further, at&t does not use the same GSM/3G frequencies as the rest of the world. They use 850/1900, while the rest of the world uses 900/1800 for GSM and 2100 for UMTS/HSDPA.

Arcangel
02-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I see what you are saying but Att phones carry the bands that are used both here and globally. So in the same respect so will verizon's lte.

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I see what you are saying but Att phones carry the bands that are used both here and globally. So in the same respect so will verizon's lte.

Not all at&t phones have the world 3GSM bands, neither will all at&t or Verizon phones have the world LTE bands.

Arcangel
02-06-2009, 10:53 AM
well if thats the case i call that stupid. I mean wouldnt the ability of the same LTE make more seance??

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 11:00 AM
well if thats the case i call that stupid. I mean wouldnt the ability of the same LTE make more seance??

Yes, it would make more sense, but the reality is that not every country in the world has the same radio spectrum available. So it isn't really stupid, it's just reality.