PDA

View Full Version : new to Black berry and have questions

wdillon
02-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi All

Thanks in advance for your advise.

So, I'm new to the black berry family. I've installed desktop manager on my Vista computer, it has all of the updates from mircosoft installed. Anyway, it works, but when I close the program I get an error message that it has quit responding.

Also, I see that a newer OS for the Blackberry is available. Should I upgrade?

And one more question, can I access the web from my laptop throught the blackberry hooked up to the USB. Another words, use my provider as my ISP?

Thanks again
Bill Dillon
Bend, Oregon

jrice8002003
02-06-2009, 11:21 PM
1. there are a number of reported problems with vista and desktop manager. have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling desktop manager? if that doesn't work, many members here would recommend using XP for right now if at all possible

2. what OS are you currently running? there are probably a number of threads listing all of the new features that the latest OS has to offer, so you could judge for yourself if it is worth doing

3. no experience in this area, not sure how to do that. until someone else responds, try using the "search" on this site to see if anyone else has had that question. typically, any blackberry question you can possibly think of is on this site in some form

wdillon
02-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the info

The version on the BB itself is 4.2.2.148 and desktop manager is 4.2.2.12. I've looked on Blackberry's web site and notice that the latest desktop manager is 4.7

I know what you mean about vista - I kind of hate it and have other issues with other programs too ;-((

Bill

jrice8002003
02-06-2009, 11:51 PM
since this is your first blackberry, you might want to wait a little until you get used to your device and get your desktop manager issue resolved. when you feel comfortable, i would highly suggest upgrading. html e-mail and docs to go were the big selling points for me when i upgraded to 4.5 on my 8330. it wasn't that hard to do, as long as you do it right. see this thread for info on how to update your device:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/174712-latest-os-8830-4-5-0-177-4-5-0-127-multilanguage.html

HalconNocturno
02-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8320)

Upgrade the OS is a simple process, once upgrade to OS 4.5 you will get new features like video recorder, which version of desktop manager do you use? Try 4.7

wdillon
02-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi All

Thanks for your posts. I did update to Desktop Manager 4.7 and it seems to play well with Vista. I'm still new enough that I'm going to wait on upgrading the BB OS.

Thanks again
Bill