PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the 8700G sidewheel

Sycotroll
02-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I had my 8700G for about 4 months and the sidewheel started acting up. The icon'd skip all around the screen. I couldn't use the 'Net or check email without a LOT of hassle and aggravation, so I decided that it needed a bit of cleaning.

If you decide to go this route, you need to get the spray that (A) Leaves no residue, & (B) is NOT labeled "Tuner Cleaner (it contains a lubricant, you want the stuff which will evaporate completely, leaving NOTHING behind).

Remove all power from the 8700G (battery and recharging cord).

Let it sit for about a minute to discharge any remaining power from the capacitors.

Spray the wheel in several places and immediately rotate it several times (short bursts, don't saturate the thing). This gets the cleaning solution over all the contacts, washing out the crap.

Spray again and rotate it.

One more time.

Wipe off the excess and stand your BB up vertically (I just leaned it against the computer).

Let it sit for about 5 minutes and drain all the junk out.

Power it up.

You may notice a clouding of the screen (this part threw me and pissed me off, I thought I damaged the screen). It looks like it has actual fluffy, white clouds on it (kinda pretty, really).

Keep the light on for a few minutes (the small amount of heat generated, along with the heat from your hand will evaporate the remaining liquid on the screen).

Your 8700G is now ready to go.

NOTE: This should work with other models (except the touchscreen type).

jeremyckitching
02-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Is there a spray that you recommend?

Sycotroll
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
I just went to "The Incredibly Expensive Electronics Store Found In Most Malls" (I was in a rush) and picked up a decent-sized can of "Precision Electronics Cleaner" (actual name) for about eleven bucks. Use it sparingly; expensive crap. Most "old school" electronics techs (I'm one of them) generically call it, "board wash."

Just a very small, "Pffft" of spray on either side of the wheel should do the trick.

Crumcake
03-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm having the same problem. Do you have to taka apart the Blackberry to clean the track wheel or do you just spray the solution into the side? I don't have the tools to take the Blackberry apart and I don't want to destroy it.

Sycotroll
03-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Lay the BB flat with the screen on top (or hold it in your hand with the screen on top) and give a few squirts to the top and the bottom. Rotate the wheel and repeat a couple more times.

Let me stress that your display WILL looked like it's about to crap out on you. :? The first time I did it, I almost freaked out. Make SURE that it's the stuff that leaves NO RESIDUE. If you use the right cleaning stuff, it'll clear up in a few hours.

$tockmarket
03-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Great thread - mine stopped clicking. I bet a good clean would clear that up.

leabola
03-19-2009, 06:36 PM
i also have a problem with my track wheel and side buttons. all of them stopped working. when i click on them nothing happens. Anyone with the same experience?

Sycotroll
03-20-2009, 05:57 AM
The clicking you hear when you spin the wheel is a very tiny ball bearing held in place by a spring. I'll bet the wheel spins freely now. This means that the ball bearing has fallen out. If you have trouble turning the wheel, the spring is in direct contact with it.

My money is on the ball bearing dropping on the circuit which governs your side buttons, thereby rendering them inoperable.

Call the place you bought the BB to see if it's still under warranty.

No amount of cleaning will fix your particular problem.

Sycotroll
03-20-2009, 06:17 AM
I misread the above, sorry.

The wheel bit holds true. If you shake your BB gently, you might hear the ball jiggling around. It shouldn't cause too much trouble, but if your BB's still under warranty, pay the 10 bucks for shipping and they'll probably send a new one.

As for the side buttons not working, I'll bet the circuit is fried. The only thing to do is have it fixed.