PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Tethering, the bottom line!

planetzpmq
02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I need a straight answer cause there have been thousands of different views, opinions, etc. on what I'm about to ask:

I am a customer with AT&T tethering with a Blackberry Bold 9000 with an unlimited 3g plan. That said, will I occur extra charges tethering whether I use 1MB or 1TB (Terabyte) of bandwith?

TroyDBrown
02-07-2009, 06:30 PM
No extra charge because Unlimited in the wireless world means Capped at 5GB

I need a straight answer cause there have been thousands of different views, opinions, etc. on what I'm about to ask:

I am a customer with AT&T tethering with a Blackberry Bold 9000 with an unlimited 3g plan. That said, will I occur extra charges tethering whether I use 1MB or 1TB (Terabyte) of bandwith?

planetzpmq
02-07-2009, 06:47 PM
No extra charge because Unlimited in the wireless world means Capped at 5GB

Meaning if I watch a couple of Movies on Netflix, after about three or so, BOOM my 3g internet on my blackberry is done until the next month?

TroyDBrown
02-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Meaning if I watch a couple of Movies on Netflix, after about three or so, BOOM my 3g internet on my blackberry is done until the next month?

Whatever 5GBs is in terms of a Netflix movie yes. You also risk service disconnect under fair use terms.

planetzpmq
02-07-2009, 08:02 PM
is there an answer to why service providers do this? is there any wireless service provider that supplies unlimited?

braambo
02-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I tethered a T-Mobile Motorola W490 with my PC grant it I only got 20 to 30kb/s download speed with full signal but they did not tell me about any 5GB limit, not that I could ever reach 5GB at that speed anyway. I looked on Sprint, Verizon Wireless and AT&T sites, they all say about limited to 5GB...but T-Mobile didn't limit me, I'm not sure how they are now though...hope this helps a little

braambo
02-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I imagine you are looking for higher speeds then that though.

mgerbasio
02-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Can't give you a straight answer because there doesn't seem to be one. What AT&T can do and what it actually does are two different things. Technically, if you go over the cap they have the right to charge you something around $500/gB over (they charge by the kB). They also have TOS clauses giving them the right to cancel your service if your use it for streaming, hosting, etc.

You can go to forums.cingular.com or howardforums.com to get real world information.

Also, if your tethering plan is new then you're soft capped at 5gB. If you have an older plan, AT&T didn't have the 5gB cap. You have to read the fine print to find out.

They shouldn't be allowed to call it unlimited if it has a cap, writing TOS that forbid just about everything except browsing, and charging you when you don't have any way to check how much data you used or warning you when you are approaching the limit. To then be allowed to impose a fee equal to 50 times what your being charged for the base contract isn't reasonable. Would you buy electricity the same way?

It's corporate policies like this that make us keep class action lawsuits around.

Regards-Michael G.