PDA

View Full Version : One year prepaid blackberry

PresidentLogan
02-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi All,

A friend of mine showed me a flyer today that was created by some wireless service reseller that I never heard of.

The flyer offered the latest blackberry models with one year of service.

A bold, for example, was $1700 with one year of service, afterwhich I'm guessing you can sign on for a new plan?

I'm just curious because I know if the main carriers that you can get service from, but I've never heard of this company, and I've also never heard of pre-paying for one year.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of getting my gf a BB and was wondering if this would make a good gift.

Thanks in advance...the info you guys provide on this site is great!

PL

rambo47
02-07-2009, 07:51 PM
I pay $90/month with AT&T for my minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited BIS data. That's $1080/year. That would make the Bold on that plan cost $620.

If this firm fails, which is not entirely unlikely, then what happens to the money you paid? You *might* get it back, or some of it back, but I could see losing whatever you paid. Interesting concept, but this seems like a bad deal.

Daveftw
02-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Wirelessly posted

Not only a bad deal, an expensive deal!

PresidentLogan
02-07-2009, 08:37 PM
The device is actually unlocked BTW. I'm mainly curious. Can anyone with a business plan and a few dollars setup and become a service provider?

monkeypaw
02-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Doesn's sound like that good a deal. For prepaying a year you would expect a big discount, but it sounds like over $90/month for service after covering the phone. Even if that's Canadian dollars, it still seems a bit high.

Note that with resellers you're signing a contract with the provider and pay the provider directly after signing up. So there's no problem if the reseller goes bankrupt or skips town. In this case who are you giving the money to, the provider or the company in between?