PDA

View Full Version : New Model Blackberries in Hong Kong?

Wanchaiman
02-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Anyone know when the Curve 2 (8900) and the Storm will be launched in Hong Kong?

HK Was one of the first places to get the Bold and they are selling like hot-cakes, so I don't know why they are taking so long to launch here.

Maybe they are trying to set up "exclusive carrier" deals like they did with the iPhone?

Any info greatly accepted as my hands are getting very itchy for an upgrade!

Godzilla07
02-08-2009, 10:17 PM
The Storm is a Vodafone exclusive outside of the U.S. and Canada so that's why the Storm isn't releasing on your carrier. I don't know about the 8900. Perhaps because the carrier doesn't want to release a device with 2G in the year 2009.

penpower
02-09-2009, 12:11 AM
The Storm is a Vodafone exclusive outside of the U.S. and Canada so that's why the Storm isn't releasing on your carrier. I don't know about the 8900. Perhaps because the carrier doesn't want to release a device with 2G in the year 2009.

FYI, HK Smartone has closed relationship with Vodafone, pretty much like the relationship between Vodafone and Verizon.

Check it out SmarTone-Vodafone (http://www.smartone-vodafone.com/jsp/english/index.jsp)

pin
02-09-2009, 12:31 AM
FYI, HK Smartone has closed relationship with Vodafone, pretty much like the relationship between Vodafone and Verizon.

[/url]

sorry new to this board, however the info is not quite correct.

the smartone and verizon relationships are not the same.

vodafone is a 45% shareholder in verizon wireless.

while the smartone relationship is a partnership agreement.

monkeypaw
02-09-2009, 03:32 AM
Is there a GSM version of the Storm coming? Otherwise aren't all the Hong Kong networks GSM?

Wanchaiman
02-09-2009, 04:18 AM
Funny though... Smartone-Vodaphone is still pushing out Press releases under the joint name & selling Vodaphone branded devices..

Unfortunately not the Storm or the 8900 :(:(

dc/dc
02-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Is there a GSM version of the Storm coming? Otherwise aren't all the Hong Kong networks GSM?

All versions of the Storm have GSM radios, but the Storm 9500 is exclusively GSM/UMTS.

Wanchaiman
02-09-2009, 06:47 PM
All versions of the Storm have GSM radios, but the Storm 9500 is exclusively GSM/UMTS.

I am sure the Storm they released in the UK can work here on the 3G / HSDPA systems.

According to a friend in the industry they are also rolling out 4G here (whatever that is) but the release date for the new BB models is a closely guarded secret :(:(