PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new phone...

AndrewKent
02-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum (so hello first of all!). I thought I would have a look round here in the hope of getting a bit of advice.

I've been a Sony Ericsson owner for the last few years however I've decided to look for a new make of phone since I became disillusioned with the P1i (great phone at first but the stylus became annoying after the novelty wore off). So with my O2 contract up for renewal, I'm looking at two types of phone. Firstly the latest iPhone, and secondly, O2 are doing the Blackberry Bold.

I quite fancied the iPhone but it's a bit expensive for the contract I want and I am worried about buying another phone on my usual "that looks a cool gadget" approach.

So there's the Blackberry Bold. Now, can anyone answer the following questions for me...

What's the Firmware like? (I know network providers have an annoying habit of putting their own on and I'm hoping O2 don't) How easy/hard is it to Sync the Bold with Outlook 2003 on my laptop?
Speaking on syncing, I'm presuming the Bold comes with software allowing for a direct connection and via Bluetooth?
I read somewhere that you can Sync a Blackberry to iTunes? Is this true and if it is, does it retain your playcount when listening to music on the Blackberry?

...I think that's all the questions I have for now, hopefully someone can enlighten me before I go and tie myself into another contract.

Many thanks,

Andy

ndub33
02-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the forums!

The link below provides some excellent reading on the Bold, and BlackBerrys in general:

BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_FAQ)

Alos, as a consumer myself, I have always found a lot of value in visiting retail stores and getting "hands-on" with the devices I'm considering.

rambo47
02-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Blackberry's don't "sync" email like the Palm devices of antiquity. Instead, BIS or BES delivers the email to your Blackberry without altering how your ISP delivers it to your Outlook client. The two processes run independently and parallel to one another.

Firmware for Blackberrys always has some carrier branding, but it's minimal. The cool thing about the ultra-stable Blackberry OS is that it's carrier-independent. You don't need to use O2's version - you can load on the latest OS no matter who released it. Generally speaking, the OS you install doesn't restrict any features.

Although I don't use my Blackberry with music, there are solutions for syncing iTunes with your Blackberry. Remember - songs with DRM will not play on anything but your authorized computer and iPod. Lots of folks wonder why they can't play all their songs on their Blackberry, and it's because of the copy protection.

kjjb0204
02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Firmware (OS) is device specific, not carrier specific, with the exception of carrier themes and possibly a few additional apps they choose to add. If you get a Bold, you can run an OS from any carrier that offers the Bold.

Music - rambo is correct, you can't add DRM itunes music to your BB, unless you use software to strip the drm protection, which is illegal. itunes is now offering almost all music drm-free and you can upgrade any previously purchased drm tracks for a fee as well. It won't remember play counts.

AndrewKent
02-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Hey thanks for the info guys,

Yeah I had read that DRM tracks weren't playable, thankfully I won't have that problem. Although will iTunes MPEG4 (ACC) format be compatible? And that's a shame about the playcount, although I'm sure there are apps out there for that?

Hmm I will have to read up a bit more about BIS or BES, however with my P1i at the moment I have my Outlook calendar and contacts sync'ed with my phone, is this possible with the BB?

Sorry for the naive questions!

Andy

alb123
02-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Wirelessly posted

Yup. I have my BB sync'd with Outlook. I don't use BES, but my BIS with push email works awesome!

AndrewKent
02-10-2009, 04:46 AM
Wirelessly posted

Yup. I have my BB sync'd with Outlook. I don't use BES, but my BIS with push email works awesome!

I'm starting to sway more and more towards getting the Bold, although I know need to look up the terms BES and BIS as I've not heard of these before.

AndrewKent
02-18-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks for your help in this post previously. I have ordered a Bold after reading serveral reviews. Thanks again!

batterypack99
02-20-2009, 02:45 PM
The Bold is definitely the way to go. I got a Blackberry Bold in December, and I have fallen in love w/ my phone. I love its capabilities to read/edit microsoft office documents. My friend has the iPhone and he is unable to edit Word documents. It has come in really handy.

MigsatBB
02-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Don't even worry about BIS and BES, as it will become obvious to you later. If you have an exchange server for e-mail its BES and if you use your personal e-mail its BIS. Either way it works the same.

stanley.zhuge
02-21-2009, 06:17 AM
bes is better than bis,bes is more expensive than bis....