PDA

View Full Version : SAVING and OPENING a powerpoint attachment

brvid
02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I've been trying to figure out two things related to powerpoints and my Blackberry CURVE 8301...

#1 - I need to be able to send powerpoints via conventional email to my blackberry, open and SAVE them to the blackberry's internal memory or the storage card that I've got installed. I CAN send them, open the attachment PPT file, and play it, but there doesn't appear to be a way to SAVE the attachment to the internal blackberry memory or the storage card. Saving just the email with the attachment isn't sufficient as my company (which administers the blackerry) archives emails over 30 days old and so I can't indefinetly keep the powerpoint as an attachment to the original email. So is there a way to save the attachment powerpoint to the internal memory or memory card of the blackberry?

#2 - If I use blackberry desktop manager to place the powerpoint file directly on the internal or external memory card, there doesn't appear to be a way to open that powerpoint. Powerpoint isn't an actual program on the blackberry that you can open...it just seems to work such that if you email a powerpoint file to yourself as an attachment, it recognizes it as an attachment that it can open. But if it's just a file on your blackberry, I can't seem to find a way to open that powerpoint.

Any help with these two items would be appreciated. I'm trying to create a system whereby I can email powerpoint instructional sequences to field operations personnel, and have them keep the powerpoint on their blackberrys for future reference, so I'm trying to avoid any additional software that might have to installed as it would potentially have to be loaded or installed on 100's of users blackberrys.

However, purchasing software that would make this work that would only need to be installed on my blackberry or desktop is viable.

Also, it's not really necessary that the attachment actually be a true powerpoints. My "powerpoints" are actually powerpoints, but I've created them by producing a powerpoint presentation of slides, and then while working inside the powerpoint interface after having created the presentation, I capture each page as a single still using SNAP Z PRO X or a MAC's internal screen capture utility. This has the advantage of capturing all layers of each page, as I've notices that not all layers and elements of a powerpoint will playback on the blackberry if you have multiple elements on a page. So I then create a new powerpoint presentation which is composed entiretly of one single still on a page, which is a composite of the elements making up the page...which makes it load faster and displays all the elements on the page.

However, I don't necessarily need to be making the final product a powerpoint, if there is a way to just send photo albums or photo sequences that you can open, play and save in one shot.

Again, any assistance would be appreciated.

jsconyers
02-10-2009, 10:04 AM
What OS are you running on your device?

If you're running 4.5 and have Docs To Go, you can save and view .PPT files on your device with the free standard edition. If you use office 07, you will need to purchase the full version. The standard edition will not be able to read .PPTX files.

brvid
02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I have V4.2.2.170 running on my 8310.

Docs to Go would involve an installation on every blackberry receipient...right?

jsconyers
02-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Documents To Go is a 3rd party software you install on your device to view, edit, and save Word, Excel, and Powerpoint documents.

jsconyers
02-10-2009, 10:18 AM
If you're interested in upgrading and trying out Docs To Go, follow these steps :
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/170511-latest-os-8310-4-5-0-174-4-5-0-124-english-eastasian.html

Make sure to place a check in the box next to Docs To Go for it to install on your device, it is not checked by default.

brvid
02-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Thank you very much. I appreciate the help.