PDA

View Full Version : Profile Exceptions

thaKing
02-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Let's say I have 5 exceptions (1-5). I want 1 to be associated with Quiet, 2 to be associated with Loud, 3 associated with Vibrate, 4 associated with Normal and 5 with Phone Only. What I'd like to do is when I switch from Quiet to Normal, my exception change from 1 to 4, without me manually switching the exception. Is that possible?

takeshi
02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Profile Exceptions are exceptions to all profiles (i.e. whatever is the active profile). Not sure if a 3rd party app allows for what you're looking for.

thaKing
02-10-2009, 10:56 AM
That's what I thought. No biggie, just sometimes forget the exception as I head to meetings. Thanks!

Serkle K
02-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I thought that's how it was supposed to work also, but I am confused... I have my girlfriend set as an exception so that when my BB rings, I know it's her calling cause of the ringtone I set. But if I set it to quiet or vibrate, it doesn't ring, or it only vibrates. That sounds like it works like it should... meaning if you have an exception, then it will follow the rule, unless you want quiet or vibrate profiles. Make sence?? or is there something wrong? or am I missing the OP all together?

thaKing
02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
It all depends on your setup. Sounds like you have your girlfriend's exception setup to use Active Profile with custom ringtone. Thus, when you select vibrate, that's the active profile for her too.

What I have setup for family members is to use Normal profile. When I sleep I turn phone to silent, and I'll still get family members' calls because of the exception. However, when I go to meetings and I select vibrate, for example, and my wife calls, it comes through with normal ringtone - because she's in the exception list and it applies to all profiles - unless I remember to deselect this exception before meetings.

Serkle K
02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I have...

Use Active Profile Except For:
( ) Important Calls
(x) Calls From [My Girlfriend]

and it still only vibrates when set to vibrate

If I am understanding what you said correctly, it's the same as yours??

thaKing
02-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Go into "calls from my girlfriend" and see what you have selected for "Use Profile:" - I bet it is "Active Profile". Thus, if you select Vibrate as the Active Profile, when she calls, it Vibrates...

On the other hand, I have mine set to "Normal" cause I want my phone to act normally through the night just in case a family member calls (they're the only ones listed in my exception).

Serkle K
02-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I see, yes it does show "Active profile" but it's greyed out, and does not allow me to change that... I tried to look in options, and edit her contact info, but no luck... what am I missing here?

thaKing
02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
So when you select Edit Exception and go into it, you can't highlight the profile and use the menu to Change option (or use the Alt key to show the list)?

Serkle K
02-10-2009, 01:37 PM
right... when I edit exception, and I hit the alt key, i only get the list of ringtones. The cursor wont even change fields, just highlights the ringtone I have for her.

thaKing
02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Hmmm...so, when you highlight "Active Profile", you hit Alt and get a list of ringtones? I get a list of ringtones when I hover over the ringtone portion and hit Alt...

Serkle K
02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
it doesnt let me highlight "Active profile"

thaKing
02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Maybe someone else can chime in and assist then, cause I've offered all I know. :)

Serkle K
02-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Lol, well thank you for your time! (y)

thaKing
02-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Serkle K - I bet you woke up this morning thinking everything is kosher with your BB and here I've introduced you to a "problem" you didn't even know you had. :) my bad...

Serkle K
02-10-2009, 04:06 PM
lol, well I dont see it as a problem... I guess it would be a bigger deal if I relied on the exceptions that much... it's ok. I would like to figure this out though. Lol!

Serkle K
02-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Ok, I think I figured this out...

After some toying around with profiles, and exceptions, I found that if I assign a ringtone through my contacts directly to a person, then by default, the exception will show up in my profiles list, but it will also be set to "Use Active Profile" by default. However, if I Add/Create an Exception by filtering a group, I can then chose to change from "Use Active Profile" to what ever profile I want, for whom ever I want... kinda of a long way around... I am still going to do a bit more testing... I'm not exactly sure this is how it is supposed to work, since this is my first BB

whitecollar
02-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Ok, I think I figured this out...

After some toying around with profiles, and exceptions, I found that if I assign a ringtone through my contacts directly to a person, then by default, the exception will show up in my profiles list, but it will also be set to "Use Active Profile" by default. However, if I Add/Create an Exception by filtering a group, I can then chose to change from "Use Active Profile" to what ever profile I want, for whom ever I want... kinda of a long way around... I am still going to do a bit more testing... I'm not exactly sure this is how it is supposed to work, since this is my first BB

We were working on this too, and another way is to delete the profile exeption and add it again. During that process you can set what profile you want.