PDA

View Full Version : Using Blackberry to secure laptop??

leopoldswu
02-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Can I use my blackberry as a "key" for my laptop or use it to encrypt some files? such as some files can only be opened when laptop is connected to the my blackberry. Is there any software for that?

Thanks in advance.

Jadey
02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Not as far as I know.

bbman911
02-10-2009, 01:21 PM
In theory, if you had a storage card, you could specify a file on the strorage card as a key if you were using something like TrueCrypt which allows you to specify a password or a keyfile to unencrypt files on your computer. I haven't tried it, but in theory it seems like it would work...not sure though.

bbman911
02-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Tested, works fine, but if you change or lose the file on your blackberry storage card, you won't be able to unencrypt those files so be careful.

zduchene
02-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Next challenge...make it read the file via bluetooth so you don't have to carry around a wire... :)

CO_BBTechie
02-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Tested, works fine, but if you change or lose the file on your blackberry storage card, you won't be able to unencrypt those files so be careful.

You could also keep a backup copy on a jump drive. Also you could enter the key into password keeper, to be used to rebuild the file later if needed. Yes you would need to re-enter all the characters of the key manually into a text file but it's better than losing access to the encrypted items.