PDA

View Full Version : Clickwheel and Keyboard Issue

shaf77
02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I have a 5 month old BB 8830 with an issue that just popped up. I haven't dropped the BB and there is no water damage at all. I also don't have a single scratch since i use a skin on the BB.

The issues I have are:

1. I can scroll around (up, down, left and right) but cannot select my selection by clicking down. I can press down but nothing happens.

2. When I press the shift key I cannot get the period, comma, exclamation, etc... I have to press the shift key, let it go and then press the period key to get a period. I was able to hold down the shift key and the period key simultaneously.

I have called Bell (my provider) and they can repair/replace the device BUT it will take 6-8 weeks!!! I use the device for work so It would be hard to work without it... Also, they would send me a refrub even though I bought a new one!! :?

Can i just buy a clickwheel and replace it?

rambo47
02-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Yes, you can. Check out CNN.CN's parts for the 8830: 8830 - NEC, Nokia, Acer, Alcatel, Apple, Sony, LG, Samsung, Mobiado, HTC, Panasonic, Do (http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-8830-c-200_342.html)

shaf77
02-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Wirelessly posted

Thanks. Would that also resolve my shift key issues? The reason I am looking to fix this myself is due to the fact that I don't want a refurb replacement for my new device and that it will take 6-8 weeks to get it back!

rambo47
02-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Hard to tell with the shift issue. It could be the keyboard or something more sinister deep inside your BB. You might also try a firmware update, but that's a long shot to fix it. The plus side is that updating the firmware is free. :)

shaf77
02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Hard to tell with the shift issue. It could be the keyboard or something more sinister deep inside your BB. You might also try a firmware update, but that's a long shot to fix it. The plus side is that updating the firmware is free. :)

Thanks!!! I know where to find the OS software.. where do I find the firmware?

Thanks again for all your help!

shaf77
02-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Wirelessly posted

Anyone know what the cause of the shift key issue is or how to fix it?

rambo47
02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks!!! I know where to find the OS software.. where do I find the firmware?

Thanks again for all your help!

Same thing. I should have called it the OS software. "Firmware" is misleading. :oops: