PDA

View Full Version : What to do 1st - switch device or update OS?

eykhong
02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm eagerly awaiting my 8900 (upgrading from an 8100), and am wondering which I should do first, upgrade the OS on the new 8900 and then do the device switch, or vice versa. Does it have to be done in a given order? Thanks in advance.

Dubdub
02-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Given that the 8900 is a new device, my advice is to use it and get to know it before you attempt to upgrade the OS. You may find that it works for you out of the box, that it isn't broken and really doesn't need to be fixed at all. Why risk bricking it on the first day?

NOTE: I am probably one of only a handful to make this recommendation. And a BTW, I still use OS 4.2 on my 8800 because it works for me and isn't broken.

The first thing I would do would be to read the user guide and play with the 8900 for a few days to make sure you like it. I would also sync it to Outlook or whatever you use, to move calendar and contact info, change the PIN and IMEI in your BIS account so you get email, etc. Use it.

I would then backup the old device and then use the switch device wizard to move the data.

And finally if you really feel it is broken and needs fixing, update the OS if there is an update out there.

Some apps you now have may not work and will need to get updates, so work through that as well.