PDA

View Full Version : tethering without bb desktop manager

bbursley
02-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Wirelessly posted

Is there any other program I can use to tether my blackberry if for some reason I couldn't get the desktop software to install like another pda managing software etc.

StuartV
02-12-2009, 09:45 AM
All you NEED is the Blackberry drivers (USB or Bluetooth) and the Blackberry Device Manager (not the Blackbery Desktop Manager).

Sal_D
03-14-2009, 02:21 PM
All you NEED is the Blackberry drivers (USB or Bluetooth) and the Blackberry Device Manager (not the Blackbery Desktop Manager).

Stuart, I have done a lot of research on trying to use the 9530 as a modem with the tmobile network and I have not been successful. I wasted a lot of time on the phone with tmobile and they can't figure it out either. You keep saying all you need is BB device manager not the desktop manager. You also say to find your previous posts. I cannot find any posts that are helpful from you. What are you supposed to do with the device manager? Can you please post something explaining how to use the 9530 as a modem, using the device manager?

SteveO86
03-14-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure how TetherBerry works but it's a new product you might want to check out.

jimbellows
03-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks im checking out tetherberry!

SteveO86
03-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Post back with what you think about, I've been curious about just haven't had the time to check it out..

(Plus Being with VZW after 2 and a half months will start paying for itself lol)

StuartV
03-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Installing the BB Desktop Manager also installs the BB Device Manager and the USB and Bluetooth drivers for your phone. You need to have all that installed, whether you are using "regular" dial-up networking for your tethering or using TetherBerry.

If you want to use regular tethering, all you have to do is have the USB drivers and Device Manager installed and the use the Windows Dial-up Networking Wizard to create a dial-up connection. Set the dial-up connection to use your BB as the modem.

As for using it with T-Mobile, I can't help you much. The 9530 is setup for Verizon. I have read here that the 9530 will not give you 3G service with other carriers in the U.S.. But, not having 3G doesn't mean it won't do data at all, I don't think. However, what specific settings you need for TMo, I have no idea. I've never had TMo service.

Furthermore, since you won't have 3G speed, I'm not sure I would bother to set up tethering at all. It's going to be slooooow.

Personally, I am using TetherBerry now and it has worked flawlessly now for the 1 1/2 days I've been using it. I called Verizon on Saturday and canceled the tethering add-on to my account and am full-time on TB now for Internet access from my laptop.

TB does still require you to have the BB Desktop Manager installed. But, once you do, you install the TB PC app in Windows, and do the OTA download for the TB client onto your BB. Then, run the TB app on Windows and run TB on the BB, and connect the phone to your PC via a USB cable and you should be on the Internet (assuming your phone has a data connection to the Internet in the first place).

SteveO86
03-17-2009, 08:47 PM
and VZW doesn't have a problem with TetherBerry?

StuartV
03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Several people have posted on the TB forums saying that they called VZW and asked the rep about using TB, and they all say they've all been told VZW will not try to monopolize providing tethering services, and so, they are fine with people using TB.

Personally, I figure VZW won't worry or care until a significant number of people drop VZW tethering and start using TB. Then, they'll probably change the Unlimited Data plan to be more expensive and add a new plan that caps at 5 GB and costs the same as the current Unlimited.

snowwy66
03-21-2009, 05:42 PM
there's also mobi shark and junefabrics (pdanet) program. you have a second cd that comes with vrhapsody and vzaccess. vzaccess is the dialup program. the cd also has usb drivers only selection. i tried the vzaccess but it said something about creating an account. so i bagged that.

as for using windows dial up. anyone know what the dialing number and password is???

if that works. i'm all over it. over buying a program. but boy, for being 3g. it's sure slower then my treo 700wx was on sprint.

125kbps being my download speed. 700 pulled about the same. but web pages were a lot faster. this thing is slower then landline dialup

dc/dc
03-21-2009, 06:40 PM
this thing is slower then landline dialup

That's stretching the truth a little bit habibi.