PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question

davemack
02-13-2009, 06:55 AM
I just bought some cool BB accesories at Amazon pretty cheap. They have a great assortment of screen protectors. But my favorite is a BB charging pod.

I noticed that the charging pod has interior as well as exterior white LED illumination and I was wondering if anyone else here has used such and if they just leave the pod plugged into their charger all the time. It does make it very convinient to come home and just drop your BB into the pod but my only concern was the longevity of the charger being that it is "on" and working all the time even if it is only to keep those LEDs on all the time.

Not a biggy but if anyone knows of early charger failure because of using one of those pods, I would appreciate a heads up. thanks

skyman84
02-13-2009, 07:13 AM
I have the same charger on my bed side cabinate, I leave it plugged in 24/7, I've had it a few months now and no problems.

davemack
02-14-2009, 10:12 AM
It does seem quite handy. I'm sure we're only talking about mili-watts of power to keep it illuminated all the time and what's a charger cost really. I just didn't want to be stuck with a dead charger and a BB with a dying battery, that would suck bad. I suppose getting a spare charger or even a car charger would be the best thing to do.

Shaun
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Same for me. I have one in my bedroom and one in my office. Both are plugged in 24/7 without issue. If I had to unplug them, or even power them down repeatedly, that would defeat their purpose, and I would not have purchased them.

fiffer
02-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Yep they are handy, my gf has one.

SteveO86
02-14-2009, 12:09 PM
So far I've only got 1 charging pod, which I leave my BB on at night. Bedside mode would be nice to have with the chaging pod.

If I could sync the charging pod I would have got a second one near my computer.

davemack
02-15-2009, 11:00 AM
...If I could sync the charging pod...

Since you mentioned it, I had to try it, since I hadn't previously. And yes, while the BB sits in the charging pod, I am able to sync and backup via BT.

This seems a most handy option as I only have to use a cable now to transfer media to my media card. Backup and sync are no more effort than two mouse clicks.

SteveO86
02-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Since you mentioned it, I had to try it, since I hadn't previously. And yes, while the BB sits in the charging pod, I am able to sync and backup via BT.

This seems a most handy option as I only have to use a cable now to transfer media to my media card. Backup and sync are no more effort than two mouse clicks.

I never thouht about BlueTooth, I suppose that does make it easier. (if only one of my three computers had BlueTooth lol.)

takeshi
02-16-2009, 12:17 PM
It does make it very convinient to come home and just drop your BB into the pod but my only concern was the longevity of the charger being that it is "on" and working all the time even if it is only to keep those LEDs on all the time.
I don't see how keeping it plugged in affects longevity. Many electronics fail when power is cycled.

monkeypaw
02-16-2009, 05:21 PM
There are tons of home electronics plugged in and on a constant draw, and the power adapters usually outlast the devices. Well they usually outlast the usage of the device.

Home cordless phones and wifi routers are two typical ones with the hockeypuck adapters. No one worries about those running 24/7 and the draw is a whole lot more than a couple LEDs.

davemack
02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
I don't see how keeping it plugged in affects longevity. Many electronics fail when power is cycled.

Very true!

davemack
02-17-2009, 10:47 PM
I never thouht about BlueTooth, I suppose that does make it easier. (if only one of my three computers had BlueTooth lol.)

None of my computers had it so I got a couple BT dongles on Amazon.com for about $5. each. All you need is an empty USB port and you got it.

There are a couple tricks to get the cheap BT dongles to work with BB's. I think that's been well covered here in these forums. But the bottom line, DON'T install the driver CD that comes with it. Make Windows come up with the Microsoft drivers to run it and your BB will like it just fine.

verwoodspring
02-19-2009, 06:07 AM

Would the battery get damaged, or fail to perform as it should, if it is kept on a continual charge?

davemack
02-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Would the battery get damaged, or fail to perform as it should, if it is kept on a continual charge?

I think the newer batteries and advanced chargers are better suited to long term charging without hurting the batteries. They measure the state of the battery and limit the charging rate to a slight trickle so it won't cook it like old fashioned chargers did. Certain types of batteries are also better suited to constant charging. I'm not sure about these new lithium-ion batteries but unlike the ni-cads or maybe the ni-met/hydrides, lead acid batteries love to be charged all the time. Battery technology is constantly changing and hopefully, they will eventually become so effecient that we'll all be driving electric cars as well.

davemack
02-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Have you noticed that little white LED on the front of the charging pod flickering? It only does it on a rare occasion and I thought it had something to do with the BB receiving data or some message because even while its very rare, when it does flicker, it looks like the data LED on my router.

Or, it could be something getting ready to die, that would be more like my luck.

davemack
02-28-2009, 09:29 AM
I found another charge cradle that not only acts as a pod like we are acustom to but accommodates an addition external spare battery on the back and has a link cable to plug into the side of your BB that will let you use all of the Desktop Manager features.

I am curious as to whether anyone else has any experience with such. You can see one here -> Blackberry Curve/8300 Desktop Sync and Charge Cradle from Overstock.com (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Blackberry-Curve-8300-Desktop-Sync-and-Charge-Cradle/3346244/product.html?sec_iid=33964)

monkeypaw
02-28-2009, 03:01 PM
I found another charge cradle that not only acts as a pod like we are acustom to but accommodates an addition external spare battery on the back and has a link cable to plug into the side of your BB that will let you use all of the Desktop Manager features.

I am curious as to whether anyone else has any experience with such. You can see one here -> Blackberry Curve/8300 Desktop Sync and Charge Cradle from Overstock.com (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Blackberry-Curve-8300-Desktop-Sync-and-Charge-Cradle/3346244/product.html?sec_iid=33964)

I don't think that model is charging through the contacts. I think the usb cable is both the charger and sync connector. So you have to plop the phone down and plug in the cable. If you get a call or email, you've got a cord hanging off it.

Call me lazy, but I love just grabbing the thing off the pod.

whitecollar
02-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Before I got the charging pod I bought another cradle which allowed me to charge a battery at the same time and to sync if I wanted to. But it forced me to slide the bold in a slot at the bottom in just the right way to fit the usb connected built into the cradle in the side of the bold. It was very annoying. I like the charging pod much better.

I too worried about leaving it plugged in all the time. But I'm only now beginning to think perhaps I use to much ghost electricity in my house.

davemack
02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
monkeypaw, I think you are right and I wouldn't like having to unplug it if I needed to answer it. I rarely need the features that require the cable like adding videos or songs to my media card. For the most part, I just use the "sync" and "backup" features of the Desktop software and they work wonderfully via BlueTooth while it sits in the pod charging. And it's so handy to grab it from the pod when I need it.

So the only thing I think might be important is keeping an extra charged battery so the mini-external battery charger and a couple of those cheap batteries might be the way to go. The only thing I need to consider is whether or not those "Extended-Life" batteries are worth the little extra cost. I don't want one of the more extreme power ones that require the oversize battery cover that makes the BB too big to fit in my present case but they have a couple of Extended life batteries that are the same size as the original battery.

verwoodspring
03-01-2009, 03:15 AM
I got the Blackberry one in the end.
I got it becuase I don't like the idea of plugging things into the side every day (wear and tear). It's just a shame that the cradle DOES NOT sync at the same time - although their misleading advert lead me to think it would!

davemack
03-01-2009, 09:31 AM
I like the BB charging pod because of its simplicity. Syncing via BT makes it perfect but my pod is still acting a little weird. That white LED on the front still flashes occasionally just like a data light on a router would. But it will do it without the BB sitting in the pod as well. Makes me think I might have a faulty charger or a faulty pod.