PDA

View Full Version : international calling

pwyllie
10-21-2005, 11:18 AM
I have searched for this issue and didn't find anything so I wondered if anybody has any info on this.

One of my employees went to Mexico City and took a 7920 (cingular). When he got there he was able to send and receive emails and receive phone calls however he could not place a phone call. I triple checked to make sure that all the correct plans were on the phone (internatiol dialing, roaming, etc). Also made sure he was using the correct country code. I had tried everything possible to get him working but with no success. My question is, is there a setting that you have to turn on in order to dial internationally, or am I missing something???

Thanks

joginder
10-21-2005, 12:28 PM
The only thing I can think of is the country code under Phon--Options and country code: in US it is set to 001 and for mexico it should be ??? whatever mexico's country code is. I took my T-Mo BB7730 to Mexico back in Aug and it worked fine. this was the only change I had to make.
Data service did not work that good though but the calls were coming and going

YIPPEE1999
10-21-2005, 12:55 PM
The code to dial IN to the US is GENERALLY 001, but not always. It depends on the country from WHERE you are dialing. In the case of a call from Mexico to the US, then yes, it would indeed be "001" followed by the area code and seven-digit phone number.

pwyllie
10-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks Ya'll, that is what I thought too, and that is what he was trying along with other things like +001, 00152, etc.

paulsalem
10-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Newbie here,

Can someone explain the whole plus sign when dialing internationally?

I have to put together a guide for our pilots that travel internationally and I want to make sure the following is correct. (US based Cingular, Nextel, and Verizon blackberrys mostly 7290s)

•For calls to a foreign country, dial "+" then the country code, city code, and local number.
•For calls back to the US, dial "+" then 1, the area code, and the local number.
•For a call within a foreign country dial “+” country code, city code (if needed) and the local number.

Thanks

crisambo
10-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Newbie here,

Can someone explain the whole plus sign when dialing internationally?

I have to put together a guide for our pilots that travel internationally and I want to make sure the following is correct. (US based Cingular, Nextel, and Verizon blackberrys mostly 7290s)

•For calls to a foreign country, dial "+" then the country code, city code, and local number.
•For calls back to the US, dial "+" then 1, the area code, and the local number.
•For a call within a foreign country dial “+” country code, city code (if needed) and the local number.

Thanks

The + sign lets the phone by-pass the particular country's international calling access code. By adding the + sign, you only need to add the country/city code and phone number of the party you are trying to call. For example, if I was to call Hongkong from the U.S., I would have to dial 011 as the international long distance access code before the actual country/city code & phone number (i.e. 011-852-####-####) or simply +852-####-####. This way you don't have to memorize, each countries international long distance access code.

paulsalem
10-31-2005, 08:47 AM
crisambo,

Thanks for the info.

can you tell me if the 3 bulleted items in my previous post are correct then?

I think they are, just want to make sure.

Thanks

crisambo
10-31-2005, 10:09 AM
crisambo,

Thanks for the info.

can you tell me if the 3 bulleted items in my previous post are correct then?

I think they are, just want to make sure.

Thanks

I'm not particularly certain about the third bullet.. . . but the other 2 are ok. Once in the foreign country, one can always ask hotel staff what the customary way of dialing locally.

guinda35
10-31-2005, 10:19 AM
The + sign lets the phone by-pass the particular country's international calling access code. By adding the + sign, you only need to add the country/city code and phone number of the party you are trying to call. For example, if I was to call Hongkong from the U.S., I would have to dial 011 as the international long distance access code before the actual country/city code & phone number (i.e. 011-852-####-####) or simply +852-####-####. This way you don't have to memorize, each countries international long distance access code.
I don't see that you have to memorize much, though. Calling the US from a foreign country always starts with 001. Calling a foreign country from the US always starts with 011. Maybe I'm wrong, but that has always been my experience.
Thanks for explaining about the + use.

crisambo
10-31-2005, 10:30 AM
I don't see that you have to memorize much, though. Calling the US from a foreign country always starts with 001. Calling a foreign country from the US always starts with 011. Maybe I'm wrong, but that has always been my experience.
Thanks for explaining about the + use.

It's not so much of the memorizing the international access code alone, but the way numbers are stored in your device phonebook. You can simply store the numbers in the +####.... format and forget about dialing the access code prefix, simply look up your contact and send. . . you're connected without needing to edit the phonebook entry to add access code then reverting back when you return.