PDA

View Full Version : Data on bluetooth

liv2wrshp
10-21-2005, 12:04 PM
So I know that my 7100t doesn't have data over bluetooth. What I'm wondering is if this is a software limitation that a new os can fix or if it's hardware limited.

corey@12mile
10-21-2005, 12:25 PM
software... word has it that handheld OS 4.1 will do BT data sync. I would guess with DM only though.

cd.

goaliemn
10-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Its software, but I'd be shocked if they ever allow any data over bluetooth. Its a security requirement for some government customers.

penguin3107
10-21-2005, 01:43 PM
but I'd be shocked if they ever allow any data over bluetooth

All I can say is... prepare to be shocked.

On another note... do you live in a cave?

liv2wrshp
10-21-2005, 02:00 PM
I'd love simple things like people to be able to send pics over bluetooth or contacts. It'd also be cool if Rim added voice dialing. It's on the cheap phones now. I don't see it being an engineering feat to put it on a $300 phone.

KonTiki
10-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Its Called SECURITY, that is what Blackberries are all about and they are not phones they are e-mail devices that have been kind enough to allow you a phone to use. You dont like it fine no problem go find a phone that does what you want and maybe even give you e-mail on the side.

liv2wrshp
10-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Kind enough? You act like they are a non-profit. Unless I'm mistaken, they are a for profit business that actually likes to keep share prices up. They didn't add phone support to be kind. They did because otherwise they'd be yesterdays tech news.

jibi
10-21-2005, 05:05 PM
RIM is in the business for corporations and government agencies. Lucky for them, their device became popular over time and is now one of the 'in' things to have, thus consumer demands are sometimes granted.

as for security, the feature can be disabled by IT Policy. here are some of the policies, which may give you a bit of light on what can be done over BT, as well.

Disable Desktop Connectivity

Prevents the handheld from connecting to the Desktop Manager over Bluetooth.

In the absence of this rule, a default value of "TRUE" will be used.

This rule applies only to Java-enabled handhelds versioned 4.1.0 and higher.

Disable Wireless Bypass

Prevents the handheld from performing Wireless Bypass over Bluetooth.

In the absence of this rule, a default value of "TRUE" will be used.

Disable Address Book Transfer

Prevents the handheld from exchanging address book data with compatible Bluetooth devices.

In the absence of this rule, a default value of "FALSE" will be used.

HaTaX
10-23-2005, 04:04 AM
jibi, are these options available in BES 4.0? Or just 4.1? I don't see these in my IT Policy... And noticed that the 7100 lost all of the bluetooth data exchange settings once married to our BES...

DSS597
10-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Hey HaTaX! I noticed the exact same thing. When I took my 7100i out of the box I had 4 Bluetooth services on it two of which lead me to believe I'd be able to hot sync over Bluetooth. After I did the first BES sync it took 2 away and now I only have the "Headset" and "Handsfree". I read that I have to be using BES 4.0 with the Service Pack 3. Even if the company I'm with has that current version of BES I would still think that they'd turn those data services off just for safety. So my question is, and we'll have to stay in touch on this one, if I pull my company's "Desktop" service books off the BlackBerry will those two Bluetooth services come back or do I have to reinstall the O.S. in order to get them back? It's pretty safe to say that BES is the primary service even over Web Client.

jibi
10-23-2005, 06:28 PM
jibi, are these options available in BES 4.0? Or just 4.1? I don't see these in my IT Policy... And noticed that the 7100 lost all of the bluetooth data exchange settings once married to our BES...
available starting with BES 4.0 SP3... the policy likely applied its defaults from 4.0 SP2 (or less) to your handheld, thus removing some of the functionality included in OS 4.1. in order to get back the functionality, you'll have to go through that entire process about the policy.bin stuff, or you could just wait for you company to upgrade to BES 4.0.3, which should be available publically within the next 1-2 weeks.

liv2wrshp
10-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

What if I don't go through me business? Just bought it from t mobile for personal use. If love to be able to connect to it from my laptop via Bluetooth.

DSS597
10-23-2005, 07:10 PM
jibi,

If I wanted to get ALL of my Bluetooth services back before my company upgrades it's BES is there a way other than reinstalling the O.S. to do that?

jibi
10-23-2005, 07:23 PM
liv2wrshp, when they release OS 4.1, you will have the functionality.

DSS597, not even reinstalling the OS would help your case. if you choose to be on the BES, then they'll have to upgrade to 4.0.3 -and- have those policies disabled (or not selected).

DSS597
10-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Thank's jibi!

So does that mean there's no way for me to get those Bluetooth services back even if I decide right at this moment to ditch my BES and just go with Web Client. Have I done something that's irreversible for those Bluetooth data profiles?

jibi
10-23-2005, 07:43 PM
its not irreversible, just most likely for now. if you decided to remove yourself from the BES, you'd have to run through the policy.bin process in order to enable them. and even then, it may be questionable. this is the first time that i've heard of someone being added to a BES and it removing a future functional feature (per BES revision), so these are semi-educated guesses as to what's going on. i would imagine that for you to be able to get rid of those functions, it'd require someone with BES 4.0.3 to send you the policy.bin file. that part is just a hunch, though.

personally speaking, i'd keep an eye on blackberry.com for when BES 4.0 SP3 is released (link below; select the BlackBerry Enterprise Server). i'm not sure how well you know the persons in charge of your BES, but you could request that they install the latest SP when its available. you could run the chance of tipping them off to functions that they would not want enabled, thus prompting them to disable the BT functions. i'm only for certain that these are included with the latest BES 4.0 SP3 for Exchange, so if you're on another mail solution (Domino or Groupwise), then i cannot speak on behalf of them. the latest SP for BESX is VERY important for those on Exchange 2003, as it has to be applied before the latest SP for Exchange is applied, as there are major functional design changes for the calendar within Exchange.

here's the link for the download:
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

...then again, i could be just guessing wrong, as well. makes sense to me, though. :-)

harryzuluberries
10-23-2005, 07:56 PM
But i think DSS's question was, if he goes with the web client, would he be able to get those services back? this is assuming that he re-installs the os via app loader. my guess is that he lost some "core" components and reinstalling the core components via reloading the os via the app loader would fix that problem. then he'd just need to stay away from BES until his IT dudes did the update.

what say you jibi?

jibi
10-23-2005, 10:14 PM
if it was caused by the IT Policy, then no. the only way to get rid of the IT Policy is by replacing it with another policy that has those options enabled. unfortunately, i can just about say with absolute certaintly that, outside of RIM and carriers, probably less than handful of persons in the world have a BES 4.0.3 policy available that would enable these options.

...either the 4.0.3 policy.bin or a new handheld/replacement.