PDA

View Full Version : turning off bb 7290 screen without holster?

Nick DC
10-22-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't use a holster, I'd rather carry the BB in my pockets, the screen never turns off like it would in a holster, I'm currious wether or not that saves a lot of battery life. I get really good battery life so far but I'm assuming it would be more if the entire screen was turned off after a while. Is there a way todo this without a holster?

kable133
10-23-2005, 12:13 AM
Not unless you built some kind of very interesting contraption!

Take a look at the back of your OEM BB holster, see that circular metal piece on the bottom rear? That's the "magnet" that comes in indirect contact with the BB once you place it in the holster. To be honest, I don't know how much the battery life would change if you were in fact somehow able to turn off the LCD. If you think of some older cell phones, their screens always stayed on...

Hope this helps!

TheBerryGuru
10-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Why dont you purchase a BB pocket pouch which is like a holster but with out the belt clip and it will fit in your pocket

Nick DC
10-23-2005, 10:44 AM
yeah I knew about the little metalic clip, I was thinking maybe there was an override in software.

BerryGuru: do you mean the skintight pouches? I'm looking for a pocket pouch actually because the screen will probably start getting scratched / etc in my pocket.

mrogers
10-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Don't worry about it. It shouldn't make a measurable difference in your battery life. Just having an LCD display something takes almost zero power; it's the backlight that actually consumes the battery.

TheBerryGuru
10-23-2005, 12:25 PM
BerryGuru: do you mean the skintight pouches? I'm looking for a pocket pouch actually because the screen will probably start getting scratched / etc in my pocket.

I'm referring to something like this:

http://www.buywirelessnow.com/earthlink/shop/13/accessory/224461/cat/144

You won't notice a huge battery life extension, but it will protect your screen.

KonTiki
10-23-2005, 12:54 PM
This is what I use though after a tip from Dawg I removed the Flexi-Clip it brings because He cracked his screen with it, and after that i just slip it through the belt loop it brought. THe belt holds it up nicely, and it has the sleeper magnet so you do both.

http://www.holsterguy.com/NI-Blackberry%20Holster.htm

takeshi
10-24-2005, 07:51 AM
You definitely need to use some kind of holster in your pocket or keep the Blackberry pocket completely empty. We have an exec who insists on carrying his Blackberry in his pocket without the holster. This basically means that we have to periodically replace his Blackberry due to screen gouges (yes, gouges, not just scratches).