PDA

View Full Version : Password Problem on a locked BB

junior1790
02-19-2009, 10:22 AM
First let me say that my question does not pertain to a "stolen Blackberry", I have seen questions like mine before and everyone always assumes the person stole or found a locked blackberry. I have a coworker who has an 8310 on at&t, her password is 4 numbers, yesterday her bb would not accept her code any longer, she called at&t customer service who, with all their wisdom told her to keep entering what she thought it was until she had one attempt left and it would ask her for a "special code" that he could give her. Now we all know that is not true but needless to say she went all the way to the ninth attempt. She has one attempt left, i had her check if caps were on or num lock, alt... None of those are on it just wont work. it had been working all day and then just stopped. I'm sure i know the answer but is there anyway to backup any info prior to making the last password attempt, or any reason you guys can think og that this would have happend??

skyman84
02-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Pearl 8100)

Nope,
Sorry but your friend has lost her data.
The network probably thout it was her si card pin which was locked,

Sorry

takeshi
02-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Nope. You need the password to access the data -- even to make backups.

The "Type 'blackberry'" prompt should have come up at least a couple of times. The point of this is to verify that there aren't any keyboard issues. If blackberry appears properly on the screen it's best to stop at that point and assume that the password isn't what it was thought to be.

Also, definitely remind your coworker to regularly backup/sync. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

junior1790
02-19-2009, 10:17 PM
I knew that was the case but thought maybe one or two tricks may have slipped by me! Thanks again..

NJBourne23
02-20-2009, 07:04 AM
maybe they have fat fingers or maybe a bad memory thinking it was one thing when it was really soemthing else. Back the phone up and then just go until the system is wiped out, then just reinstall the backed up data

skyman84
02-20-2009, 07:26 AM
maybe they have fat fingers or maybe a bad memory thinking it was one thing when it was really soemthing else. Back the phone up and then just go until the system is wiped out, then just reinstall the backed up data

NJ, you can't back up a BlackBerry unless you know the password my friend.....

Jadey
02-20-2009, 07:26 AM
IF your colleagues device is on a BES, have the BES Admin wirelessly reset the password. They can do that. Make sure the colleague does not put in the password the tenth time, because once BB is wiped it is too late.

IF your colleagues device is not on a BES, sorry.... Wipe away.

junior1790
02-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Here's the real bizarre thing now, she put in the 10th attempt, she got the message that info was being wiped or whatever it says when that happens. When it re-booted all her contacts were there as well as bb mess sontacts but all her previous messages were gone! WTF

JSanders
02-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Was the user only attempting to enter Password Keeper?

That would not wipe the messages, it would leave everything intact, but wipe the data in PK.

junior1790
02-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Was the user only attempting to enter Password Keeper?

That would not wipe the messages, it would leave everything intact, but wipe the data in PK.
No It was def a device password, i had helped her set it up a few months back the password was 1395 which equates to wrcd, after the 6th attempt it shows you what you are typing so i had her do both on the keyboard. She was in my office for the final attempt. The only thing I can think of is the contacts being saved to the sim card but that seem unlikely as well, even if that were the case I don't understand the bb mess contacts!!