PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth day-to-day usage

Jonathan_M
10-28-2004, 02:41 PM
I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and finally have a question after trying out 2 BT headsets, a Sony/Ericsson HBH-35 and a Motorola HS810.

With the HBH-35 in standby mode, it seems to stay "in contact" with the 7100t for awhile (indicated with a blue status led on the 7100) but then loses contact with it. I have turn the HBH-35 off then on again for things to work properly.

With the HS810 in standby mode, it seems to do a better job of staying in contact through longer periods of time.

Here's my question, how do the rest of you use your BT headsets? Do you leave them in standby mode all the time then use it everytime you use the phone or do you turn the headset off when you're not using it then turn it on when you need it?

Thanks!

Fireproof
10-28-2004, 03:00 PM
I have an HS810. During the normal course of the day, I keep it folded up (off) in my pocket. If I get a call, I just answer the phone without it - if it looks like it's going to be a long conversation, I tell them to hang on a sec, I open the HS810 and start using it seamlessly.

Otherwise, when I'm making outbound calls, I then turn it on and use it.

Also, I always like to have it on my ear when driving because I can barely feel it's on and since I play my music loudly, I can hear the phone ringing through the HS810, but without it, would miss calls (because sometimes I don't feel the vibrate).

Inphektion
10-28-2004, 03:07 PM
I have an HS810. During the normal course of the day, I keep it folded up (off) in my pocket. If I get a call, I just answer the phone without it - if it looks like it's going to be a long conversation, I tell them to hang on a sec, I open the HS810 and start using it seamlessly.

Otherwise, when I'm making outbound calls, I then turn it on and use it.

Also, I always like to have it on my ear when driving because I can barely feel it's on and since I play my music loudly, I can hear the phone ringing through the HS810, but without it, would miss calls (because sometimes I don't feel the vibrate).

wow, I use the exact same way.

Belfast
10-28-2004, 03:55 PM

me too...

ladrummer
10-28-2004, 04:02 PM
I have the HS 810 as well and I normally keep it off until I need it. It actually connects really fast so I can use it to answer a call as well. I do have problems leaving it on for long periods of time. It will eventually lose conection and if I try to turn bluetooh off and on again it resets the phone. Which is a bummer casue I too like to keep it on my ear while driving. But this was something discussed in another thread on here.

canesfins
10-28-2004, 04:12 PM
I have the same issue with my HBH-65 headset losing contact.

Jonathan_M
10-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies. This is my first BT enabled device and I wasn't sure what to expect. The documentation that comes with the headsets doesn't describe day to day use or typical applications so I was just feeling around in the dark as to how to get the best use out of it.

Gothalyptic
10-28-2004, 04:39 PM
I can't speak for the 7100, so might be just a bit off topic. I use the BT250 by Jabra, and a V600. I rarely loose connection if I leave the headset turned on, unless it goes out of range.

My use consists of: headset always on ear, phone always on hip, voicedial to make a call, answer via headset to receive one. I have (literally) never used my V600 normally, always used it via bluetooth.

ladrummer
10-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah I think this has been isolated to the 7100t. At least that's the phone I'm using. For me it doesn't completely lose connection at first. First what will happen is that I lose audio connection. I can still use the headset to place and end a call but get no audio. I'll then shut off the headset, turn it back on and then it won't regain connection. But I'm now getting off topic.

swilcox
10-28-2004, 07:39 PM

me too...

I use my 810 exactly the same way. I find that it connects very fast when opened, and I get use of the phone again very fast when I close it. So I answer on the phone and then switch to the headset if I think it's going to last long, or if I need to write. Very efficient!

swilcox
10-28-2004, 07:39 PM

me too...

I use my 810 exactly the same way. I find that it connects very fast when opened, and I get use of the phone again very fast when I close it. So I answer on the phone and then switch to the headset if I think it's going to last long, or if I need to write. Very efficient!

Kimo
10-28-2004, 09:52 PM
My Sony HBH-660 has the same problem...

It loses connection if left on standby for long periods. turing the unit off and on works better but is a longer process.

When I lose connection the phone will do a hard reset sometimes (very annoying).

Volfan
10-29-2004, 10:29 AM
I just started using the HS810 this week. Is it normal behavior for it to redial the last number when you press the multifunction button?

roccitman
10-29-2004, 10:30 AM
I agree with the usage tendencies. Does anyone know if there's a way to have the phone automatically pickup the device (BT headset) without having to accept it?

Maybe it's a security thing?

ladrummer
10-29-2004, 11:36 AM
In answer to Volfan....yes this is normal. I'm pretty sure all headsets will redial the last number.

In answer to roccitman go into your settings, select blutooth, then select the paired device, then click the thumbwheel to get a menu, select device properties, where it says trusted switch the setting to "yes" and it will now automatically connect to the device without having to verify it.

dallasbbry
10-29-2004, 07:58 PM
I picked up the HS810 today. Still getting used to it but I like it so far. I like the fact it rings in my ear for an incoming call. Very nice. So far I like it.

guinda35
11-26-2004, 02:09 AM

El Chino
12-28-2004, 05:00 PM
I have an HS810 and under settings i switched it to "trusted"

When I open the boom it is automatically recognized by the phone without me having to say "yes"

It works well so you can quickly get it on your ear and answer a call wihtout having to fumble with the trackwheel.

sempai
12-31-2004, 10:15 AM
I am trying a Jabra BT110.

It works very well with the 7100, you merely press a button to answer a call, or migrate the call from handset to headset.

And they're dirt cheap, you can find them for around 50 bucks.

texnick
01-04-2005, 01:52 AM
I agree with the usage tendencies. Does anyone know if there's a way to have the phone automatically pickup the device (BT headset) without having to accept it?

Maybe it's a security thing?

Yes, just go to settings, bluetooth, choose your headset, click, go to properties and set it to a "trusted" device.
Next time you initiate a connection from your headset, it won't ask.

jsuwandi
01-04-2005, 12:18 PM
I have the HBH-660 and also lose connection from time to time. I can't figure out when it will lose the connection, but I don't have to shut the 660. All I did was to do a connect from my 7290. I also don't get any resets on my 7290. The only thing that I have to do that requires a reset is when I'm using IM+ Messenger program. Sometimes the program does not display the incoming messages.

cdd543
01-05-2005, 09:21 PM
I am having a ton of problems with my 660 and 7100t disconnecting and rebooting. I am about to dump the 7100 and try the 7290.

deniska
03-15-2005, 11:33 AM
I am having a ton of problems with my 660 and 7100t disconnecting and rebooting. I am about to dump the 7100 and try the 7290.

I've been having the same rebooting problem, a lot more so since I upgraded my 7100 to 4.0. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

sactoroy
03-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Yes, just go to settings, bluetooth, choose your headset, click, go to properties and set it to a "trusted" device.
Next time you initiate a connection from your headset, it won't ask.

Sweeet...thanks I did not know this!!

sbagdan
03-15-2005, 12:54 PM
I have the HS850 and the 7290. I have to say that I have ZERO issues with them. The 7290 sounds GREAT, the HS850 lasts all day (and then some!) I keep it folded up in my pocket, and put it on when I receive or make a call. When I am driving, I leave the HS850 on my ear, and keep the 7290 tucked away in the center console.

david_mald
04-17-2005, 03:50 PM
My HS-810 just stopped charging, so I brought it back and they upgraded me to the new model-HS-850. Looks identical with a dark blue transluscent exterior instead of black and the button has been reprogrammed.

I experienced accidental "call-backs" whenever I would attempt to hangup the call, using the HS-810. The 850 is pretty nice and I have no complaints about this one. I recommend it to all.

Dave

Azeke
04-18-2005, 02:16 PM
I am using the Jabra BT800 with the 7100g, with setting as a trusted device. Thus far I am enjoying the BT toy, with minimal issues. Seems a little loose at times, however.

I am still on a learning curve, but have not experienced any major issues thusfar, i.e. click vs. one second hold vs. 5 second hold, each of these time intervals perform different functions.

MSRP: 149.95
Cost: 97.95 + 4.95 shipping cost.

Regards,

Azeke
7100g BES

seagull
04-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Re. previous threads: no, it is not a normal behavior to redial the last number when pressing the headset multi-function button.

I have 7100t and Jabra BT250 (also tried with BT200). I've used Bluetooth for nearly 2 years with much success with my previous phone, SonyEricsson T616, and was extremely happy with that combo. Since the phone supported voice tags, I could press the headset button, and the phone would beep. I could say "Redial" to redial teh last number, or say the name of the person who I wanted to dial (and had their voice tags programmed). The phone would beep again to prompt me whether I wanted to call their "Home", "Work" or "Mobile" numbers (again programmed voice tags).

I WANT THIS ON MY 7100T!! Since the phone does not support voice tags, I am out of luck. In any case, I had a lot of trouble getting the 7100t to work with my headset. With OS 3.8, the phone would reboot after every call. After 4.0 upgrade, at least, the phone does not reboot. But, even then, every 3rd or 4th call, I lose the connection between the two. (I could replicate the same problems with BT200 also, and since the Jabra's are the world's largest selling BT headsets, at the least RIM could have done proper testing with them.)

This is one area where RIM has really screwed up. They do need to fix these bugs in their next rev.

Ranged27
05-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Jabra BT800 is the only way to go. It makes the Caller ID propogate to the headset so you never even need to look at your BB to see who is calling. Also you are able to redial any number in the headset's call list. AWESOME!