PDA

View Full Version : Sprint vs Cingular and the 8700

tcugrilla
10-22-2005, 04:41 PM
I am with Sprint, and really want the 8700. I was considering switching to Cingular just for this phone. I did not know the difference until today of the huge difference in price for unlimited data plans between the two carriers. Sprint is only $20 a month, Cingular is $44. What the heck is up with that? I want the phone, but for now I will wait.

Aroc
10-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Sprint has an unlimited BB data plan for $20? I think T-Mobile's is the cheapest data around, but they aren't that cheap. Can you really get BB data for $20, or is this just some version of Sprint Vision for regular phones (non-blackberry). I'm thinking this may be an apples to oranges comparison. Please reply.

Yeah, BlackBerry service is a rip (read: expensive for non-businesses). But you get what you pay for.

KMK
10-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Sprint is $45/month for blackberry data service. $20 is for the regular "vision" service. You may have to call Sprint several times before you get a rep who understands the difference.

KMK

CyberJack
10-25-2005, 07:34 PM
AROC:
Why do you say Blackberry is a rip? I can think of a variety of different options, work arounds and hacks that would save you money, but the reliability, security, timeliness of receiving my messages has a price tag to. I pay for my own Blackberry and BES account out of pocket and I do not feel it is a rip off. Do I wish it were cheaper, absolutely but there is a difference between that and terming something a rip off.
Not trying to start an argument just share a different perspective.

Mark Rejhon
10-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Sprint is only $20 a month, Cingular is $44. What the heck is up with that? I want the phone, but for now I will wait.You are mistaken -- There is no such thing as a Sprint $20 BlackBerry plan. You must be referring to VISION, which is not used for BlackBerry.

Aroc
10-26-2005, 07:26 AM
AROC:
Why do you say Blackberry is a rip? .

My post was tongue-in-cheek if you could not tell (it may not be obvious, this is why I am telling you this). This was a just a matter of fact comparision to "other" (but not comparable) data plans that run $2-20 for regular cell phones and $20-40 for other PDA phones. $50 just for a data is a bit to swallow for personal (non-business) use, that's all I was saying. but let me tell you this. I have a work issued BB (Nextel 7510), and when my sprint contract is up, I'm ditching my POS flip phone and getting a personal BlackBerry. Why? Because I actually like the device. I do like the quality as a phone and as an organizer. I do not care for regular phones one bit. So I will be double-barreled blackberry.

I can think of a variety of different options, work arounds and hacks that would save you money, but the reliability, security, timeliness of receiving my messages has a price tag to.

I agree and I will gladly pay for relability.

I do not feel it is a rip off. Do I wish it were cheaper, absolutely but there is a difference between that and terming something a rip off.

We do see eye to eye. I, too, with it were cheaper, at least for non-business use. Since I only get about 10 personal emails a day, I have to think long and hard about spending $50 month on a data plan. But in the end piece of mind and sanity are going to win out and I'll cough up the dough.

WE also have a BES at work and we wouldn't be without it.