PDA

View Full Version : blocking gps signal

vallee
10-22-2005, 05:00 PM
I there a way to stop or block the gsp signal from a blackberry with any device of object?

Dusty Saddle
10-22-2005, 05:12 PM
I there a way to stop or block the gsp signal from a blackberry with any device of object?
You can't turn it off completely without turning off your unit but on most units you can go to Options, Location Based Services and enable it only for 911 calls rather than having it on all of the time.

vallee
10-22-2005, 07:39 PM
My blackberry is giving out by the company I work for and that option is block out on mine. My boss informed me that he use the gps function with a company called VORTEX to track company personnel movement on the road. This is way I'm looking for a hardware or something to block the out going gps signal.

kable133
10-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Wow, I don't how how much I would like that.

Dawg
10-22-2005, 09:57 PM
So you come here to ask us to help you hide from your boss on a phone he pays for. I hope he reads this forum and fires you for trying to circumvent the system.

vallee
10-22-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't want to hide from my boss, I would like to have privacy when I'm off the clock.

KonTiki
10-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Then leave your phone in the office.

Dawg
10-23-2005, 10:22 AM
if its his phone and hes paying the bill he has the right to track it at anytime he wants 24/7 365 IF you want privacy turn the phone off and get your own private service.

jboogie
10-23-2005, 05:23 PM
maybe you could find a lead hip holster to block the signal...

i think i saw one on ebay.

fliedlice
10-23-2005, 06:20 PM
lol.....this thread is gonna go downhill real fast.....BTW for the first time, I agree with dawg...turn the phone off if you dont want him tracking you...but it still remains that he pays the bill and you do not

lraed74
10-23-2005, 08:41 PM
hmm, what are you doing that you dont want him to know about? If its a work device, leave it at home if your not working.

Concept
10-23-2005, 09:51 PM
I was agreeing with you for a whole minute when you were saying that you had a phone that you didn't want to track your location. But like everyone else said, if its a work paid for phone than leave it at work when you go home. I'd be pretty pissed if I was the boss and I found out that you were blocking the gps signal. I'd give you two options on the spot. Either get rid of the tracking block or get fired. If I didn't like you that much to begin with I'd fire you on the spot for tampering with products that I owned.

jscully
10-23-2005, 10:25 PM
In defence of the guy, if he is required to utilize the device for work purposes during off-hours, ie. turning it off or leaving at the office isn't an option, then the tracker would be a violation of his privacy.
But if he's not required to use the device outside of work hours, Concept is on the mark!

DougFNJ
10-23-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't know, I would never be comfortable with a boss constantly tracking where I am. I have been in field sales for 11 years, and have had sales managers that had a first time in the business that loved to harass because of a power trip (and my production was always top of the company).....add the ability to see my location at all times, and at that point having to consistently justify my whereabouts......just not right. If you do not trust who you hire get rid of them.....I think tracking people to where they are at all times goes a little too far. Just my opinion.....you could all justify how ok it is being tracked, I say when Big Brother is watching, and Big Brother happens to be the company you work for, look out, it is only used to work against you.....it is not productive.

southwestcomm
10-23-2005, 11:52 PM
I sell plenty of GPS solutions as a Nextel, err Sprint, dealer. Law states that employees who carry a company issued phone can only be tracked during work hours only.
As for those who complain about it or complain about the "Big Brother" aspect I have found, typically, it is because they have something to hide. If you are doing your job as needed why would you complain?

Soapm
10-24-2005, 12:47 AM
You could get a cat to slip the device on during off hours.

TheWastedYears
10-24-2005, 12:53 AM
If it's Nextel, just leave it inside of a building. Mine never seems to get a GPS signal unless I can see the sky.

MooseBerry
10-24-2005, 01:18 AM
And usually the antennae needs to be out for GPS to work. The tracking software is generally for delivery companies, I think.

But what does he hafta hide, especially when he's off duty? I doubt the boss checks his GPS page to see where his employees are from his house at night. But if your really worried Bro, just turn it off when you want your privacy...and if you're on call 24/7, just tell your boss you must not have had a signal. Now you just need an excuse for the police :razz: .

bclopez
06-27-2006, 05:18 PM
nned to be out side

southwestcomm
06-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Wrong. Nextel units switch to cell site triangulation if the GPS chip can't see the sky....

greggebhardt
06-28-2006, 05:41 AM
Why do you think your boss could give a cr^p where you are in your off hours? I agree with the others, turn your phone off and pay for your own service after hours.

We sue a simular service in our company and it has prove very valuable in saving my employees time and gas, they love it. I did have one employee that thought like you and I told him to turn his phone off when off duty and he complained about not having a phone! The GPS feature can not be turned off without a password! Ha!

After hours, there is not even anyone looking at where everyone is. Except for when a phone was lost!

jbairdjr
06-28-2006, 07:40 AM
The fact of the matter is, if the employer pays the bill, he owns the phone.
There is no privacy issue. We have policies that cover this, as I imagine most companies do. If you choose to use and carry their phone, you are subject to their monitoring.
That being said, I also doubt that his boss is checking in the off time. Most managers have much better things to do (they are also probably not working and could care less).