PDA

View Full Version : Cost of GPS on BOLD

shabazz5th
02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey Guys,

Just a question.

I Have minimonitor installed on my Bold to monitor data usage. No matter how hard I try, I can never use 500MB :).

Anyways, my question is about the GPS. What does it use? I monitor the data usage and it's next to null.

Is it being charged against my phone plan? ie. Some hidden "GPS," charge? I'm with Rogers btw.

And final quesiton...does this GPS have voice to say "turn left at x street"?

thx,

John Clark
02-22-2009, 04:28 PM
There is no charge for the GPS signal. There is a charge for data that is used in mapping applications that use the free GPS signal.

The voice prompted applications usually have a monthly cost associated with them.

MidnightDraven
02-22-2009, 04:29 PM
GPS used with a map application i.e. google maps is using the data connection to retrieve the map data. it is not a hidden charge, it is merely data off your data plan.
GPS when used under options->advanced->GPS->refresh location uses nothing, it is an internal part that locates the device's location (as far as i am aware anyway).

Some map applications, or rather sat nav applications for the Bold allow the voice navigation, but I am unaware which ones.

shabazz5th
02-22-2009, 04:30 PM
great guys, thanks for your help. Voice nav isn't mandatory for me. It works just fine as is. Great little feature.

Now if there is an app out there that has voice nav then I'm all ears ;)

John Clark
02-22-2009, 04:31 PM
GPS=Global Positioning System

The GPS system is made up of an array of satelites. Your device has a receiver in it that picks up the signals of these satelites. There is no cost to pick up the signal. Some devices can augment this GPS signal with other signals like cell tower triangulation, etc.

John Clark
02-22-2009, 04:32 PM
TeleNav is what I use. Great app!

Voice directions on your GPS phone: TeleNav (http://www.telenav.com)

BBFanboy
02-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Can't vouche for it, but Amaze GPS offers a free GPS app with voice directions.

raynicolini
02-22-2009, 09:34 PM
i use garmin mobile, great gps with traffic alerts, yes even in canada. have voice directions. only downfall is the cost of $99.00, but it is a lifetime product that is transgerable to another bb as long as its the same model

shabazz5th
02-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks again guys, I was hoping for something "free," but I may pony up the cash to get one of these.

Thx,

dwella
02-22-2009, 10:13 PM
i use garmin mobile, great gps with traffic alerts, yes even in canada. have voice directions. only downfall is the cost of $99.00, but it is a lifetime product that is transgerable to another bb as long as its the same model

I also use Garmin and really like it. I did not know that you could transfer it though so that is a real benefit.

d

Dubdub
02-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks again guys, I was hoping for something "free," but I may pony up the cash to get one of these.

Thx,

Check out the GPS section in the forums. There is a sticky at the top that has reviews of the known map applications. Pretty thorough list from what I can tell.

Enaytch
03-06-2009, 04:02 AM
There ia another GPS mapping system with voice prompts called Nav4All