PDA

View Full Version : Nextels response to 7100i and ringtones - FWIW

BlueP
10-23-2005, 05:47 PM
After going around and around with people on the phone, I emailed Nextel this afternoon. I recieved this response back within an hour.

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Sprint Together with Nextel Online.

I do apologize for the problems you have recently experienced with your
BlackBerry phone.

Nextel has set up a special group to support all BlackBerry requests, and
your request has been sent to this group.

Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not
hesitate to contact us at: https://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/care/WCCustomerCareServlet/

Thank you for using Sprint Together with Nextel Online.

XXXX
E-CARE
Sprint Together with Nextel

Heh. We'll see.

jibi
10-23-2005, 05:53 PM
edited your link so it would actually link, in case anyone else wanted to email them.

BlueP
10-23-2005, 05:58 PM
edited your link so it would actually link, in case anyone else wanted to email them.

Thank you. I hadn't noticed it didn't come out right.

Cheers.

JDWallace
10-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Oh they are SOOOO getting an email from me about some ringtones!!

My_Blackberry
10-24-2005, 09:58 AM
i have called nextel and they didnt even understand what i was talking about. i hate them. it says it can do ringtones then why cant it? do i have to put the old 711 series software in to get the .adp ringtones?

jibi
10-24-2005, 10:30 AM
no other version of software will work on your 7100i. it will not play .adp ringtones. as soon as NXTL and RIM give you the .wav file support functionality, it will be better than the .adp ringtones.

Geo81
10-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Hopefully they will reveal the answer to this.....
It would be nice to hear music tones again.....

My_Blackberry
10-24-2005, 01:02 PM
yes i hear ya. i hope nextel and rim get on the ball. why release a phone and not release how to get ringtones onto it?

purephase
10-24-2005, 03:14 PM
As I've said in another forum, I seriously doubt that ringtones are top on RIM's priority list when they work on software and hardware. Most of their customer base are business users and could care less about these features (personally, my BB is always in vibrate so ringtones do not mean a thing to me -- as is most of my co-workers).

BB's, even the 7100 series, are not really geared towards personal use (which is why they are not marketed that way) and yes, while it is a nuisance, I wouldn't really expect this "issue" to be resolved anytime soon.

Good luck though. The email to Nextel is definitely the way to start (instead of the numerous threads on the subject) and hopefully something will come of it. I just wouldn't hold my breath.

fliedlice
10-24-2005, 03:32 PM
BB's, even the 7100 series, are not really geared towards personal use (which is why they are not marketed that way) and yes, while it is a nuisance, I wouldn't really expect this "issue" to be resolved anytime soon.

dont even get me started on that.....im not sure how you can come to the conclusion that that is 100% true....I will admit that yes the blackberry still isnt fully marketed to your average user but there also not just for execs and buisness people....

jibi
10-24-2005, 03:50 PM
fliedlice, ATTWS was testing the waters on the 7100 by watching other vendors. The 7100t became surprisingly popular for TMO, accounting for 25% of all their 2004 BlackBerry hardware sales within a couple of months. The biggest concern for all of the carriers was the costs involved with the added support of a consumer-directed smartphone. Its an understood concern as their support costs have increased quite substantially, to my knowledge.

purephase
10-24-2005, 07:55 PM
dont even get me started on that.....im not sure how you can come to the conclusion that that is 100% true....I will admit that yes the blackberry still isnt fully marketed to your average user but there also not just for execs and buisness people....
It's not 100% true, as they are making inroads into the consumer market (clearly), however, I would estimate that over 80% of their market is comprised of business users.

In larger organizations you typically have RIM certified engineers that support the devices internally. RIM also focuses heavily on integration with existing enterprise email systems (Exchange in particular) and you will most likely never see a camera/mp3 player on a BlackBerry. Why? These are business devices. They are used by the military, police, and politicians. Corporations order them by the 100's (in some cases, probably 1000's) so yes, you could say that they are not necessarily for business people, but the vast majority of their user base is and that is why features like ringtones etc. are probably not a major concern for RIM or Nextel.

BlueP
10-24-2005, 08:30 PM
As I've said in another forum, I seriously doubt that ringtones are top on RIM's priority list when they work on software and hardware. Most of their customer base are business users and could care less about these features (personally, my BB is always in vibrate so ringtones do not mean a thing to me -- as is most of my co-workers).

Good luck though. The email to Nextel is definitely the way to start (instead of the numerous threads on the subject) and hopefully something will come of it. I just wouldn't hold my breath.

I can see your point (and I don't agree at all with it) but the biggest gripe I have with the situation is the BB was sold to me and I was shown a Nextel salesperson pitch sheet which specifically listed ringtones as a feature. It even had a side by side comaprison of the 7520 and the ringtone column had a check mark under 7100i.

I upgraded from i275 because I needed the BB for work. I used the i275 as my personal and business phone. The ringtones are a great way for me to tell which call are business and which are personal. (Or who I want to talk to and who I don't) I don't care that you don't use it or your co-workers don't use it. I do.

Nextel and RIMs lack of response (Yes, I emailed RIM also) is disappointing. RIM, I haven't even gotten a canned response from. Nextel only the above email. Considering the monthly cost of the BB over the 1275 with data plan, I guess I expected more of a response from both Nextel and RIM.

It shouldn't matter who or what specific group the product is geared toward or who is using it. I'm paying for it and I expect it to work as advertised. Or maybe I'm just old and remember when companies were more customer serviced oriented.

Heh. I'm probably just old.

purephase
10-24-2005, 08:58 PM
I agree that you should get what you paid for which is why I recommended emailing Nextel. They are your service provider, they are the ones that decided that ringtones should be feature in their sales brochures, and they (supposedly) trained their sales/support representatives to deal with customer service. BlackBerry's are expensive devices, yes. The data plans are extremely expensive (in comparison with other devices) because the support costs are (as jibi mentioned) very high for business oriented devices when they are moved into the regular consumer market.

I hope you find a solution, I do. I even helped some people both here and HoFo (before things got out of hand) with what I picked-up browsing through these threads. Unfortunately, there is no known solution to the ringtones issue (that I've seen) for the 7100i BlackBerry. Creating these threads, and continually arguing about the lack of support from either RIM or Nextel just wastes peoples time.

If it is a big enough issue for RIM or Nextel to work out, then it will. However, my point earlier is that I do not believe that this is a feature that the majority of BlackBerry users care about and although, yes, it will probably be fixed (or a solution will be found) just don't expect it soon. Just my two cents. I hope I'm wrong since I don't like anyone not getting what they paid for.

bigolyt
10-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Not sure what everyone is talking about... my BB has ringtones... granted they are lame, still ringtones. Im surr we could go about using any Midi file for a ringtone on this phone, but who wants that. FYI a Midi is still a ringtone as well...

chris5h
10-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Interesting note:
I have tried MANY variations on ADP, WAV, AMR, and MP3 formats, and all give me the same error (unable to open in this browser blah blah blah)...

Now for laughs, I renamed the extension on my server of a .wav file to .mid, and opened it. It downloaded the file (all 4.7kb) and tried to open it, and this time gave me an error saying "UNable top Open File" so it appears that the problem is not a specific bit rate of a WAV (or something to that effect) but rather the format is wrong. It looks like it needs to be something different than AMR, ADP, WAV, or MP3.

If anybody has something they would like to try, I hosting I can use to help try it.

hi-tech
10-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Interesting note:
Now for laughs, I renamed the extension on my server of a .wav file to .mid, and opened it. It downloaded the file (all 4.7kb) and tried to open it, and this time gave me an error saying "UNable top Open File"

That was the first thing I tried when i read the other posts last week....lol... We either need an upgrade to the browser to support .wav files for download... or some other method to xfer the files to the BB.

jibi
10-26-2005, 12:14 AM
chris, perhaps you are right, however...

if you open net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes7100i.cod in a text editor, you will see the following:

$Řaudio/midi $Řaudio/x-wav

it also has filenames such as Notifier_Sonar.wav and Notifier_UFO.wav. now, from previous experience with the Oki ADPCM ringtones, the above MIME types are what is supported by the built-in Media Player.

from net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_midiadpcm2.cod:

$Řaudio/midi  $Řaudio/x-oki-adpcm2

from the 4.0 net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_builtintunes.cod:

$Řaudio/adpcm  $Řaudio/midi

hope that makes sense. it appears that it only supports audio/x-wav, which is the MIME type for a standard .wav file...

jibi
10-26-2005, 12:26 AM
to add, i put up quite a few .wav files in another thread. here's the legible part of packet from downloading one of those files:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 04:10:44 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:11:41 GMT
ETag: "dff9f0f9-5e38-43594b7d"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 24120
Connection: close
Content-Type: audio/x-wav

RIFF0^..WAVEfmt ........@<hidden>€>......dataČ]..€€€€€€€€€€€€€

You will notice the 'Content-Type' is the MIME type which is audio/x-wav. The RIFF, WAVEfmt and data parts are all required tags within a standard wave file header (in this case, its the start of the wave file).

I think you are correct - the browser doesn't recognize the audio/x-wav MIME type. My hunch is that the browser is only configured to accept the audio/midi MIME type, thus why your test with the renaming to .mid worked just fine. I'm sure you could rename it as .jpg and have the same thing happen. The issue is the fact that the Media Player supports .mid and .wav only, so even if it was another extension and MIME type that was supported by the browser, the media player would not know how to load it up, thus it wouldn't work.

To be honest, I think this is simply an oversight on RIM's part in the early code of the software. I would start logging daily calls and emails to NXTL and RIM about the issue until it becomes too much of a burden that they either address the problem or issue a statement/SDR for it. The carriers have a LOT more influence on having issues fixed than RIM, but you all will have to log enough calls to NXTL before they'll even bother submitting a ticket request over to RIM for this issue, imo.

sonnyboy
10-26-2005, 02:41 PM
does anyone have a direct # to the bb 7100i manufact so i can ask how in the hell can real tones get put on the bb for nextel?? i feel left out, only the 7100i cant get em, but everybody else can, thats bull!!!!!!!

jibi
10-26-2005, 02:56 PM
www.blackberry.com - look around and you'll find a support number on there - it starts with 877.

BlueP
10-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Updated response from Nextel. I did get a voice mail also. In the voice mail he did say that BB only have ever supported midis and never any other kind.

Dear XXXXXXX,

My name is XXXX from SPRINT-NEXTEL ONLINE SUPPORT. I have attempted to
contact you using the number you provided in regards to your inquiry
posted to Nextel.com.

I greatly apologize for any misinformation provided to you regarding
ring tones. The ring tones on the Sprint-Nextel website are polyphonic
and BlackBerry 7100i supports only midi ring tones or ring tones in .wav
format. You can find an endless number of these online and at sites like
<http://www.handango.com>.

In addition, I am including information below that will guide you to
user guides and tutorials for the 7100i. I am certain you will find this
information helpful.

Again, apologies extended for any misinformation that might have been
provided. Your BlackBerry 7100i is a truly versatile device providing
phone, wireless email, and data access for mobile professionals on the
go and gives you more ways to stay in touch with friends, family, and
work.

If you like, you can reply to this email with a convenient time that you
can be reached. Please include a contact number in your response. If
possible, include a number that is not the blackberry so that, if
necessary, we can trouble shoot the device while on the line.
Additionally, you can call 800-XXXXX for immediate assistance. Please
call from a line other than the BlackBerry so troubleshooting can be
performed on that unit if necessary.

Please refer to the following case number in all replies: XXXXXXX

Thank you for choosing Sprint together with Nextel!

XXX
SPRINT NEXTEL ONLINE SUPPORT

kessomatt
10-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Funny response. I wonder if they even read your email. Only midis and wav? Then why doesnt wav work?

Updated response from Nextel. I did get a voice mail also. In the voice mail he did say that BB only have ever supported midis and never any other kind.

Dear XXXXXXX,

My name is XXXX from SPRINT-NEXTEL ONLINE SUPPORT. I have attempted to
contact you using the number you provided in regards to your inquiry
posted to Nextel.com.

I greatly apologize for any misinformation provided to you regarding
ring tones. The ring tones on the Sprint-Nextel website are polyphonic
and BlackBerry 7100i supports only midi ring tones or ring tones in .wav
format. You can find an endless number of these online and at sites like
<http://www.handango.com>.

In addition, I am including information below that will guide you to
user guides and tutorials for the 7100i. I am certain you will find this
information helpful.

Again, apologies extended for any misinformation that might have been
provided. Your BlackBerry 7100i is a truly versatile device providing
phone, wireless email, and data access for mobile professionals on the
go and gives you more ways to stay in touch with friends, family, and
work.

If you like, you can reply to this email with a convenient time that you
can be reached. Please include a contact number in your response. If
possible, include a number that is not the blackberry so that, if
necessary, we can trouble shoot the device while on the line.
Additionally, you can call 800-XXXXX for immediate assistance. Please
call from a line other than the BlackBerry so troubleshooting can be
performed on that unit if necessary.

Please refer to the following case number in all replies: XXXXXXX

Thank you for choosing Sprint together with Nextel!

XXX
SPRINT NEXTEL ONLINE SUPPORT

splacko
10-27-2005, 03:27 PM
And if it accepts wav, then why won't they furnish what TYPE of wav that it accepts? I can be ok with the midi's (If they're good and they sound nice) but if you can have a wav, then I'd rather wait until one of you geniuses figure it out. (y)

AlwaysOnPoint
10-30-2005, 02:54 PM
One thing that I have found is you are able to get the .wav files to your phone via email. You can send them in a zip file and then unzip it. However, I still have yet to find a format that will actually bring up the media player for listening and saving.

thewizard
11-10-2005, 11:08 PM
The Truth on ringtones - The Nextel 7100i can support polyphonic midi ringtones. Per the user guide, these can be downloaded thru the html browser. The 7100i can not support polyphonic mp3 files, no Nextel BB will.

The 7100i can support wav files as ring tones. Unfortunately, due to an unforseen or un-addressed error (I don't know which), the 7100i browser can NOT download wav files. No known fix yet. The above user is correct, if you email them, I think you can use them. I don't know yet, haven't tried. But that's how it is now.

The Wizard

Nextel User
11-11-2005, 01:55 PM
The Truth on ringtones - The Nextel 7100i can support polyphonic midi ringtones. Per the user guide, these can be downloaded thru the html browser. The 7100i can not support polyphonic mp3 files, no Nextel BB will.

The 7100i can support wav files as ring tones. Unfortunately, due to an unforseen or un-addressed error (I don't know which), the 7100i browser can NOT download wav files. No known fix yet. The above user is correct, if you email them, I think you can use them. I don't know yet, haven't tried. But that's how it is now.

The Wizard

UM which NON-Nextel BB supports Mp3? ADP-yes
Wav file support is coming soon. software error.

splacko
11-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Wav file support is coming soon. software error.

So are you saying...

that once another software upgrade comes out, that we'll be in business? As in, Real Voice tones that we can create again?? :smile:

Nextel User
11-11-2005, 02:44 PM
i will say yes, BUT since productivity is obviously a higher concern. so its possible they may not have fixed it by then.

splacko
11-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Yea, you do have a point there. Well, let's all keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. I'm sure it will all randomly work out.

kt2223
11-12-2005, 02:36 PM
i found that if u go 2 www.3gupload.com and tell them u have a sprint phone and it is a treo 650 and sign up that way, u can get the ringtones in your locker and download them that way. i found they are the best quality of ringtones that can go on the phone tight now. but only polyphonic

splacko
11-13-2005, 01:38 PM
i found that if u go 2 www.3gupload.com and tell them u have a sprint phone and it is a treo 650 and sign up that way, u can get the ringtones in your locker and download them that way. i found they are the best quality of ringtones that can go on the phone tight now. but only polyphonic

Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try and leave feedback later on today as to if it worked for the 7100i or not. (y)

gbrudy16
11-15-2005, 02:10 AM
I currently work for a by company that does the customer service side of "sprint" they contract out to vendor sites, USA though go figure and I apologize to anyone who has sprint for that... but anyway I have a number to the "blackberry" people in Ft. Worth callcenter I will grab tomorrow if you want, maybe being able to explain it over the phone to a person who speaks BB would help.

J.R.

siralston
11-16-2005, 06:18 PM
The Blackberry 7100i can play .wav files, the problem comes in the fact that the browser for the phone is unable to open wav files, regardless of format. The Internet Browser for the 7100i is the same as that of the 7520 and 7510, and has not been updated in that manner. Until an update comes, there will be no option to get anything but a .midi file. You cannot email the file to yourself either, as it is not an attachment the blackberry can open. I’m sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.

Bill

Please include the following line in all replies.

Tracking number: NT20051113_0000000544

MiamiE
11-16-2005, 06:44 PM
whats the word finally? can we dload ringtones into our 7100i's or not?

siralston
11-16-2005, 07:15 PM
do you not know how to read the browers does not support wavs they have to update the browser read next time

Nextel User
11-16-2005, 08:05 PM
LOL

kurrupt_1
11-16-2005, 11:02 PM
the suspense is killing me

Nextel User
11-17-2005, 04:26 PM
The Blackberry 7100i can play .wav files, the problem comes in the fact that the browser for the phone is unable to open wav files, regardless of format. The Internet Browser for the 7100i is the same as that of the 7520 and 7510, and has not been updated in that manner. Until an update comes, there will be no option to get anything but a .midi file. You cannot email the file to yourself either, as it is not an attachment the blackberry can open. I’m sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.

Bill

Please include the following line in all replies.

Tracking number: NT20051113_0000000544

can we use one of the other java browsers? has anyone tried this? maybe one of the third party browsers can handle it?

Roxy_21
11-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Just waiting like everyone else, but I dont think I can wait any longer
I tried to use a third party, but was denied, maybe Im doing something wrong
The 7100 series over at cingular are lookin good to me now

Drop Me A Line
PIN: 400DEEBA

MiamiE
11-17-2005, 04:49 PM
so you guys are going to switch over because you cant dload ringtones onto your phone? give it some time, someone will eventually figure it out

Nextel User
11-17-2005, 04:51 PM
you would RollOver to cingular because the ringtones dont work the way you want!! the 7100i has customizable ringtones per contact... the others dont...they might soon...and the 7100i will soon have an update also.....

splacko
11-17-2005, 10:22 PM
I would suggest a bit more patience. As many times as we all have been wanting better ringtones, it's just a matter of time before the update is available...and we can all email wav's to our BB's til our fingers fall off.

kurrupt_1
11-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Well I for one am waiting. I can't give up the 7100i for anything! It's just too relaible to give up because of ringtones.

MiamiE
11-18-2005, 12:04 AM
yea man this phone is to sweet!

splacko
11-18-2005, 04:37 PM
I agree with you chaps 200% - I wasn't too up on the Blackberry experience until I saw this 7100i - now, I'm on it for as long as I have cell service...with anyone from now on! It's too handy!

Nextel User
11-24-2005, 06:14 PM
any chance we can email Nextel and get the specs of what format the wav file needs to be in, so that when the browser/OS upgrade comes we will have our tunes ready?

kurrupt_1
11-24-2005, 07:01 PM
This would be nice. It would be nice to get the info prior to the upgrade just to be prepared!

Kwik TSi
11-25-2005, 08:29 AM
I dont know about you guys but all I want right now is the normal Nextel Alert ringtone on my 7100i.. All these other Notifier_*** tones that are used for a DC/GC Call alert are wayyyyy too low.. Anyone know how I can put this onto my phone? As far as the other ringtones.. Ehhh just pretend its an i95 for now until a software update is available.. Patience People!! Patience!!

Nextel User
11-25-2005, 01:10 PM
you can get the normal one. i once deleted it on my old nextel phone and found it on hofo forums or ideninsider forums

BlueP
11-25-2005, 08:06 PM
any chance we can email Nextel and get the specs of what format the wav file needs to be in, so that when the browser/OS upgrade comes we will have our tunes ready?

I spoke with Nextel BB tech support Monday about an unrelated issue and asked this question. He wasn't sure and would ask around. Haven't heard from him since.

europamo
11-25-2005, 08:11 PM
I spoke with Nextel BB tech support Monday about an unrelated issue and asked this question. He wasn't sure and would ask around. Haven't heard from him since.

LoL. I can never get that same answer twice from anyone there.

I will agree, my DC tone sounds way lower then a normal MOTO phone.

splacko
12-06-2005, 04:22 PM
It's been a while, so I guess it's my turn to add to this ever growing topic. I've talked to a couple of people who can't give me a straight answer as to when the new software is coming out for the 7100i - has anyone out there heard anything new?

Nextel User
12-06-2005, 08:31 PM
nope not yet... But i set up my boss' new i870 today and its a pretty cool phone. mp3, video, and 1.3 megapixel camera and much more...

quiznap
12-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Is no one else having trouble converting adpcm or adp files into ali and alx files?
I'm only finding add ins in adp and I have no Idea how to convert them. My system thinks that they are Microsoft Access files. Can anyone advise me?

Also, I just downloaded the Plazmic theme editor! So far it's a lot of fun.

rmccamman
12-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Post them answers

NewBee Wins
12-17-2005, 07:06 AM
Keep everyone posted as to the status of ringtones. I'm interested also.

Nextel User
12-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Does anyone have any more info? We all want Wav files....

this is my voicemail notification from my iden series phone. I miss it.

Xetox
12-22-2005, 01:03 PM
I take it there is still no answer to this?

On another note, someone said on the 7100i that I could assign certian rings to contacts, how is this done?

JaxDreamFunding
12-26-2005, 09:23 AM
I take it there is still no answer to this?

On another note, someone said on the 7100i that I could assign certian rings to contacts, how is this done?

In the PROFILES section, you set up call exceptions. You can select one or several contacts to be set to a certain ring tone. Works most of the time.

Xetox
12-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks....I will check it out.

Any update on the rings?

gavs
12-30-2005, 01:08 AM
:bb: We want Wav to play in BB 6230 ,7100,7230,7290,7730 .
BB server BES 4.0 and all HH upgrdae to 4.0
To play wav file from voicemail notification from cisco unity server .
Anyone having idea?

Ranjan

liroi
12-30-2005, 04:39 AM
no other version of software will work on your 7100i. it will not play .adp ringtones. as soon as NXTL and RIM give you the .wav file support functionality, it will be better than the .adp ringtones.
Do you have any solution on real music ring tones for the 7100i

fliedlice
12-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Do you have any solution on real music ring tones for the 7100i

everyone will know at the same time....were waiting on Nextel and RIM

kurrupt_1
12-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Despite on how many of us BB owners want true ring tones on our 7100i, it all depends on what kind of priority RIM has on the feature.

liroi
12-31-2005, 02:00 AM
Oh they are SOOOO getting an email from me about some ringtones!!
do you have real music ringtones for the 7100i

kurrupt_1
12-31-2005, 02:39 AM
do you have real music ringtones for the 7100i

I know I have plenty of ringtones for the 7100i......as sson as I know the secret that is.

Mr Pink57
12-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Despite on how many of us BB owners want true ring tones on our 7100i, it all depends on what kind of priority RIM has on the feature.

Its not even so much a priority of it, its more the question on why the hell would they even think of blocking ringtones in that sense. Why can the 7130e get mp3 ringtones, while the 7100i can only get midi tones?

I am not stressing over the issue at all, since mine is on vib most of the day, but we should have never even needed to start this thread in the first place.

pink

LatinaThatsMe
01-01-2006, 11:49 PM
I just want someone to chat with someone

pin 400E6BAD

kurrupt_1
01-02-2006, 12:07 AM
I just want someone to chat with someone

pin 400E6BAD

Lonely or bored?

01-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Ok, so blackberries are marketed as a business device. This is a no brainer. SprintNextel, Nextel Partners, nor RIM has any plans on marketing the 7100i as a personal phone. It never has been from Nextel's POV. If it was sold to you by an indirect dealer (i.e. X Wireless Comm, an Authorized Nextel Agent) as a personal entertainment devise type of phone, then it is your fault for not being smart enough to check with the SOURCE (i.e. Nextel or Nextel Partners), RIM does not really supply customer support unless you PAY for it. Even Nextel pays to call them. THey are COMPLETELY geared for businesses. They don't care about Fu-Fu features. If you want a good phone for Voice Ringtones from Nextel, get an i870. If you want a stable Mobile Email solution, buy a Blackberry. I prefer a 7520 due to the single key qwerty keyboard, but like the louder ringtones on the 7100i. RIM (as far as the prodocts they supply for Nextel) is so completely geared towards business that when Nextel and Nextel Partners gets updates regarding new software, any periphrial features such as ringtones and contact copying abilities are not even mentioned in documentation. I know this as I am in a position to recieve these updates although confidentiality agreements require that I give no details. The fact that you don't get a straight answer about ringtones from the Nextel support channels isn't due to them not caring enough to help you, it just isn't available to them to give you the detailed answers you are looking for because RIM and Nextel are not looking for a private consumer base for these products and therefore the documentation isn't concerned with these "issues." Emailing bbsuggetions@<hidden> may be another way to let the programmers that matter now that enough people are interested to make the effort worthwhile, but just complaining repeatedly to Nextel can't get the issue solved. Have fun.

GoblueNextel
01-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Ok, so blackberries are marketed as a business device. This is a no brainer. SprintNextel, Nextel Partners, nor RIM has any plans on marketing the 7100i as a personal phone. It never has been from Nextel's POV. If it was sold to you by an indirect dealer (i.e. X Wireless Comm, an Authorized Nextel Agent) as a personal entertainment devise type of phone, then it is your fault for not being smart enough to check with the SOURCE (i.e. Nextel or Nextel Partners), RIM does not really supply customer support unless you PAY for it. Even Nextel pays to call them. THey are COMPLETELY geared for businesses. They don't care about Fu-Fu features. If you want a good phone for Voice Ringtones from Nextel, get an i870. If you want a stable Mobile Email solution, buy a Blackberry. I prefer a 7520 due to the single key qwerty keyboard, but like the louder ringtones on the 7100i. RIM (as far as the prodocts they supply for Nextel) is so completely geared towards business that when Nextel and Nextel Partners gets updates regarding new software, any periphrial features such as ringtones and contact copying abilities are not even mentioned in documentation. I know this as I am in a position to recieve these updates although confidentiality agreements require that I give no details. The fact that you don't get a straight answer about ringtones from the Nextel support channels isn't due to them not caring enough to help you, it just isn't available to them to give you the detailed answers you are looking for because RIM and Nextel are not looking for a private consumer base for these products and therefore the documentation isn't concerned with these "issues." Emailing bbsuggetions@<hidden> may be another way to let the programmers that matter now that enough people are interested to make the effort worthwhile, but just complaining repeatedly to Nextel can't get the issue solved. Have fun.

You are wrong on so many levels it is not even funny.

First have you seen the New Blackberry.com. I believe the first page is dived up into 2 sections - PERSONAL and BUSINESS.

Second - How many professionals have PINK leather cases? Ya that is totaly just business SEE BB'S Site for this PROFESSIONAL ACCESSORY.

Thirdly my phone was purchased for BUSINESS under MY NAME and my COMPANY flips the bill. I had a problem that Nextel COULD NOT handle so I called RIM and they help me and did not ask me any questions if it was a business account nor would they know becasue again it is under my name.

FORTHLY - I hear you screaming NEXTEL support. Where are you from? NEXTEL SUPPORT SUCKS, HAS SUCKED AND WILL CONTINUE TO SUCK. Even thier BB support has no clue.

Fithly - If NEXTEL was not here for the "small business" owners and individuals why are they selling one at a time. If what you say is true, then you should only be able to buy BB's in quantities.

Sixly (are these even words?- LOL) There should ne no reason what so ever for a phone to have the capability to play any type of ringtones...For crying out loud Dick Cheney has a frickin Ipod....Are you telling me DC would not want to hear 50 cent on his BB when it rings.... :razz:

Serioulsy why does it matter to you - If I am not mistaken the NEXTEL and BB welcome documents even say the BB will play wav files. (even though it does not).

Calm down a little and let people vent. I am a Engineer and would like to have my "You've Got Mail" for my mail notification - Does that make me a PUNK - Do not think so...I would have no problem having a "current" wav for when my 14 year old daughter calls me....I hope you are eating all your words when the new OS comes out and plays wavs or even MP3's.

GOBLUE

OH YA - Google Talk is just so professional - RIM added that so professionals can IM each other during meetings securely.

Nextel User
01-14-2006, 10:06 PM
actually Nextel BB support in my opinion from dealing with most of the other major carriers support teams, is one of the better ones..

and i believe the Entire 7100 series was to entice the personal/consumer end of the cellular market..

are we getting off topic????

splacko
01-16-2006, 11:19 AM
And to further add to this ongoing argument...there are TONS of other BlackBerry devices that other carriers have (T-MO especially) that have REAL/WAV ringtones. So, while you did look smart for a moment, you may want to sit back for a moment and read up again. But I'm not trying to start nothing. I respect what you had to say/type...but...as in space, there were holes.

Nsupporter
01-16-2006, 11:33 AM
good luck

Bradhar911
01-17-2006, 10:29 AM
This might be a dumb post but when I look for ring tones in the browser extras page on my 7100i they all say plasmic... does that new plasmic SDK have the ability to make custom ring tones... I know not as easy as everyone wants and certainly not mp3s but a band-aid for now?

liroi
01-18-2006, 07:02 PM
if so give me a holla back at liroik@<hidden>

ROBBYROB
04-30-2006, 07:38 PM
funny how this thread started in 10/2005 and we are now in 04/30/2006 and still no new OS..

sucks

koleary19067
04-30-2006, 08:34 PM
They sure are not SPRINTing