PDA

View Full Version : nOOb with 7100G OS questions

Stag
10-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey all, I have my BB (Cingular, 7100G) about a week know and have been reading through the boards here, after comparing what I read here to what my BB says, I believe I have an outdated/older OS on the device. But I want to be sure.

From what I can tell it has:
Wireless Handheld: v4.0.0.219
But there is also a line which reads:cryptographic kernel v3.8.0.24

If I understand this correctly, my OS is 4.0 (but an older version). What is the cryptographic kernel?

Where do I download updated versions? Is it all that complicated? Can I do it through my BB or use my Desktop manager?

Sorry about the newbie questions, just trying to get up to speed...thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also, I see that the software platform is 1.8.0.129, does this need to be upgraded before I update anything else. Or does this get upgraded automatically?

Thanks

John Clark
10-24-2005, 11:36 AM
All you have to do is log in to your cingular account, download and install the latest version of the desktop manager, then download and install the latest handheld software offered by Cingular. That's all there is. There should be instructions too, but here's what I've found to work best. I've not downloaded anything for Cingular so am guessing that's where to get the software. It should be 4.0.2.49. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. After both are installed, connect your handheld an run your desktop manager. (If you are connected to a Blackberry Enterprise Server through your company's IT dept. I've found it best to connect to your email server first so that the Enterprise Activation takes place smoothly.) It should recognize that your software needs updating. Continue through, it should give you an opportunity to verify what's going to be changed. I recommend doing the backup just in case something happens and you need to reload all your data. It will then erase everything and reload the new software. The worrying part is when it gets to the "connecting to handheld" portion of the upgrade when your BB sits with a spinning hourglass for like 10-15 minutes. Don't worry (but I always do), just let it take it's time. It will work. Good luck.

Stag
10-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks, I will try it and post my results...

John Clark
10-25-2005, 12:46 AM
Stag
After a search I found this...Good luck.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00E7D4