PDA

View Full Version : Need help using basic Word to go features

rdawood
02-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I have tried searching endless forums on help using the basic features of Doc to go. everyone seems to be having a PDF problem, attachment problem, or some other advanced feature problem, I simply cant transfer my Word documents to my blackberry and view them. Dataviz website didn't have any answers for me.

I have a BB storm, with VZW, using the newest OS 4.7 it's a personal phone so dont think it's a BES problem.

I'm not very BB Savy, this is my first phone that does more then call and text message, and am sure I missed a step somewhere, it can't be this complicated to get a word doc to my Storm and view it.

I used Desktop manager to transfer word documents to my storm, I transfered them to the default documents folder.

I also tried to drag and drop from folder to my blackberry just using my PC.

furthermore I tried to Email myself and download attachment.

I can get the files to my storm, when i go to media and 'explore' i can see the files, but i cant open them, depending on the extension it says either, it is not an RTF file or unable to display file /media card/blackberry/documents/"""""""".wps

And when i try to access it directly from Word to go, it doesn't even show up.

Am i missing something?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm thinking I'm missing something, or missed a step somwhere,

If someone can share with me a step by step on how to send a word document (what to save it as) to my blackberry (where to put it) and actually view it (where to access it) would be great.

also am i missing anything from permissions? I set all on Documents to go to "allow" and reset firewalls.

FF2
02-27-2009, 10:56 PM
I am new to Word-to-go, etc but recently upgraded to Vista and Word/Office 2007. I know it uses a different format that prior versions of Word. So I wonder if the file's format is now different? Maybe Word-to-go is limited to one or the other format - either the older or newer? Just speculating since I have not played much with features yet.

SteveO86
02-27-2009, 11:56 PM
The .wps files is from Microsoft Works NOT microsoft Office. Docs To Go does NOT support Microsoft Works ONLY office.

Hope this helps

And getting the latest version of Docs To Go Supports Office 2007/2008 and prior.

Docs To Go will only open .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx.. .pdf for the premium version. I honestly don't know if DTG will open .rtf files, never tried it.

Froghair
02-28-2009, 01:32 AM
With Microsoft Works, you can save a file in *.doc format. So I'd guess one could then send the *.doc file to yourself and open it with DTG if necessary.

SteveO86
02-28-2009, 10:18 AM
If MS Works does support .doc files then open all you .wps files and perform a "Save As" and save it as .doc file.

I haven't messed with MS Works in forever.

FF2
02-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I use wordpad and accidently shipped a rtf file to the BB - it would NOT open. But I did not follow up, so I don't know the details.