PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Media Manager & Windows Vista - A Problem

Mavbender
02-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I am running a brand new HP laptop with Windows Vista and I am unable to properly install *any* version of Blackberry's Desktop Media Manager.
The program will download and save to my hard drive, but then "aborts" when it is in the process of trying to install.

After 7+ hours on the phone with the highest level of blackberry and verizon tech support, their advice was to completely "reload" Windows Vista on my laptop (which, of course, I'd like to avoid).

So now I am desparately searching for a 3rd party software that will sync my blackberry and my mail and contacts from Outlook.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.:?

MarcusT
02-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Hmm...

First suggestion: do you have Roxio Media Manager installed as a stand alone application? If so, uninstall it and then try it again.

Second suggestion: Attempt to install in Selective Startup mode on your PC.
Done by going into Start>type in "msconfig" into the search bar and hit enter>Select "Selective Startup" under the General tab. Then select the "start up" tab and click the button for "Disable All". Once you click ok it will prompt to restart the PC, and once powered back on select ok to the pop up and hit cancel when the startup utility windows comes back on. This will prevent any possible conflicts with other programs.

Third suggestion: attempt to install in Safe Mode. Turn your PC off. Then turn it back on, during the boot up process hit "F8" and it will prompt for how you want to run Windows. Select "safe mode" and if it asks say you want to run as administrator.

Good luck!

SteveO86
02-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Desktop Manager is the only program that will sync PIM information on a PC.

Can you go over some steps they had you go over?

Disabling UAC is usually a good place to with on Vista, Do you have Service Pack 1 installed?

Mavbender
03-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Desktop Manager is the only program that will sync PIM information on a PC.

Can you go over some steps they had you go over?

Disabling UAC is usually a good place to with on Vista, Do you have Service Pack 1 installed?
thanks for your information.
What does "UAC" stand for?
Yes, I do have Service Pack 1 installed.

Mavbender
03-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Hmm...

First suggestion: do you have Roxio Media Manager installed as a stand alone application? If so, uninstall it and then try it again.

Done by going into Start>type in "msconfig" into the search bar and hit enter>Select "Selective Startup" under the General tab. Then select the "start up" tab and click the button for "Disable All". Once you click ok it will prompt to restart the PC, and once powered back on select ok to the pop up and hit cancel when the startup utility windows comes back on. This will prevent any possible conflicts with other programs.

Third suggestion: attempt to install in Safe Mode. Turn your PC off. Then turn it back on, during the boot up process hit "F8" and it will prompt for how you want to run Windows. Select "safe mode" and if it asks say you want to run as administrator.

Good luck!
Thanks Marcus.
I will give these all a try and let ya know how it works out.
mb

ohad_129
03-06-2009, 04:13 AM
i try every thing was written here but none
i have 41 conntacts when i sync them i after 26 i get the error sign
what im going to do please help
p.s
i pull the battary
i delete my conntacts
i delete my calander
so please somthing else to solve it
i have 4.5 dm last version
thx8-):smile::cry:

SteveO86
03-06-2009, 09:25 AM
thanks for your information.
What does "UAC" stand for?
Yes, I do have Service Pack 1 installed.

UAC = User Account Control, it's that annoying pop-up box in Vista that's asks are you sure?

SteveO86
03-06-2009, 09:26 AM
i try every thing was written here but none
i have 41 conntacts when i sync them i after 26 i get the error sign
what im going to do please help
p.s
i pull the battary
i delete my conntacts
i delete my calander
so please somthing else to solve it
i have 4.5 dm last version
thx8-):smile::cry:

Bit more info..

What version of Outlook, What OS on you computer..

And 4.5 is not the latest version of the desktop manager anymore.

After you deleted everything where do you stand?

Mavbender
03-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks for stickin' with me on this Steve.

Roxio Media Manager is uninstalled - same problem
I selected "disable all" in my msconfig settings - same problem
I started the computer in SAFE MODE and rebooted - same problem
I've made sure my UAC is "OFF" - same problem

I've tried installing every version there is of Desktop Magner 4.2 - 4.7, English, multilanguage, with and without "Media Manager" - you name it.- same problem

The exact message I get when InstallWizard tries to install the software is as follows:
"The wizard was interrupted before Blackberry Desktop Software could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified."

Anything else worth trying?
Thanks!
mav

Mavbender
03-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Hmm...

Good luck!
Thank for your help with this Marcus.

I have tried the following troubleshooting...

Roxio Media Manager is uninstalled - same problem
I selected "disable all" in my msconfig settings - same problem
I started the computer in SAFE MODE and rebooted - same problem
I've made sure my UAC is "OFF" - same problem

I've tried installing every version there is of Desktop Magner 4.2 - 4.7, English, multilanguage, with and without "Media Manager" - you name it.- same problem

The exact message I get when InstallWizard tries to install the software is as follows:
"The wizard was interrupted before Blackberry Desktop Software could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified."

Anything else worth trying?
Thanks!
mav

VIOLATOR
03-10-2009, 11:25 PM
That really is unusual? I am running Vista and have had every version from 4.3 to 4.7 installed with no problems at all?

Have you tried turning off your anti-virus program and/or any spyware programs you may be running such as Spybot or WinPatrol?

Possibly something with the Windows Installer Package...have you updated Windows and rebooted?

David

MarcusT
03-10-2009, 11:32 PM
A helpful error message is always good:

Found a link on BB Supp site for 6 more resolutions:

View Document (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04384&sliceId=2&docTypeID=DT_SUPPORTISSUE_1_1&dialogID=53812141&stateId=0%200%2053808881)

We already did Resolution 5, and Resolution 1 is unlikely if this is a brand new PC. I would say #4 is not relevant either. I would say to follow Resolution 6 first and do a clean uninstall. Then look in to steps 2 and 3.

If still f'ng up, I would think about reinstalling Windows Installer. It is currently on version 5.0.

What service pack is installed on Vista? Found by right clicking on My Computer>Properties. There is Service Pack 1 out, and Service Pack 2 is not far behind.

If still not working...

...call a priest...?

Maybe you may need to reload the OS like they originally stated. This is getting absurd.

VIOLATOR
03-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Marcus T seems to be on the right track and it does sound like the Installer is the culprit.

Here is the information from the BB Technical Solution Center:

View Document (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02797&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_SUPPORTISSUE_1_1&dialogID=53816078&stateId=0%200%2053814520)

David

Mavbender
03-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks guys!

I will try resolution #2 and #3 - but I do have over 150GB free on my C:Drive...so lack of space doesn't seem like it would be the problem.

I am running Service Pack 1.

And yes, the Blackberry techs (and my own "MAKE IT WORK" computer techs (they are the equilivant to the "GEEK SQUAD" here in southern calil) both had me uninstall and reinstall "Windows Installer."

...Thinking I need a priest for sure now!
(or maybe a fairy god mother!)
mav

Mavbender
03-11-2009, 12:22 AM
sorry to be a pain in the b_tt, but can you walk me through how to clear my TEMP directory.
I've searched through all the windows help menus and there isn't anything specific about this.
Thanks
mav

MarcusT
03-11-2009, 02:25 AM
The TEMP directory is found easiest by going in to Start and type in the search bar %temp% and hit enter. This will open the TEMP directory. I have never had an issue, but did check mine and it is rather full of crap. I can see why it may have a conflict.

VIOLATER's link seemed to have some promising solutions as well.

Good luck and keep us updated!
If fixed I would love to know what did it.

Oditius
03-11-2009, 05:02 AM
First off, you done so much install and uninstall your registry has to look like crap and be a waste. Go to CCleaner - Home (http://www.ccleaner.com) and download the registry cleaner. Install it and run the cleaner till you get no more errors. Then you can start fresh, this is not a cure, but at least you will be able to clean up the mess you are creating trying different things.

TBAsko
06-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I am running a brand new HP laptop with Windows Vista and I am unable to properly install *any* version of Blackberry's Desktop Media Manager.
The program will download and save to my hard drive, but then "aborts" when it is in the process of trying to install.

After 7+ hours on the phone with the highest level of blackberry and verizon tech support, their advice was to completely "reload" Windows Vista on my laptop (which, of course, I'd like to avoid).

So now I am desparately searching for a 3rd party software that will sync my blackberry and my mail and contacts from Outlook.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.:?

I use Companion Link Express to sync my data from my Blackberry, but you still have to have the BB desktop install to run the sync. The CompanionLink.com has very clear instructions on how to do everything. One thing they did say is to be sure your desktop version of software is the same as your phone. ie.. don't upgrade to the 4.7 desktop if your phone is running 4.5.

Hope this helps.