PDA

View Full Version : using a new BlackBerry in Japan - need advice

DaveDog
02-28-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't even have a BlackBerry yet, so please excuse extreme newbie questions.

I'm living in Japan, and I'd like to get a BlackBerry for data use only (no voice).

If I buy an unlocked BlackBerry from a place like horizonwirelessonline.com, will I be able to get a reasonably priced data plan from a Japanese carrier?
Is DoCoMo the only choice of carrier here?
Will I be able to use BIS?

If anyone out there living in Japan has done this (gotten a data plan from a Japanese carrier for a new BlackBerry bought overseas), I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer. And I'd like to hear how you set up your BlackBerry here.

Thanks.

stewsan
03-01-2009, 12:02 AM
DD, you're going to need to run over to DoCoMo and have a chat with them. I use a Storm in Japan with a T-mo sim card from the states and normally use Softbank for the provider. The last time I checked at DoCoMo about a BB, they told me it was only for corp clients but..... well you know how it is since you live there.

dc/dc
03-01-2009, 09:27 AM
DD, you're going to need to run over to DoCoMo and have a chat with them. I use a Storm in Japan with a T-mo sim card from the states and normally use Softbank for the provider. The last time I checked at DoCoMo about a BB, they told me it was only for corp clients but..... well you know how it is since you live there.

This is still correct.

Your cheapest option is to get an unlocked Bold, Storm or 8707g, sign up for data only service from T-Mobile USA and add the unlimited international data option. It will run you ~$50/mo.

stewsan
03-02-2009, 08:05 AM
I agree with dc, that would still probably be cheaper than having a plan with DoCoMo even if it was available. If you want to try that and are near Tokyo or or Osaka, let me know and I'll give you a great deal on a 8707. You can try it and if it doesn't work for you T-mo has a 30 day out, and I'll give you the same.

DaveDog
03-07-2009, 05:38 AM
thanks for the info, guys.
I went over to a DoCoMo shop, and here's what I found out:
1) the Bold is the only phone in their lineup right now, and sales have been halted (indefinitely, it seems) due to overheating problems.
2) DoCoMo doesn't have a data only plan, so one has to buy a voice plan no matter what.

Here are the costs:

the cheapest voice plan: JPY1890/month (roughly $19)
BlackBerry internet service: JPY1575month (roughly $16)
unlimited data package: JPY5985/month (roughly $60)

which comes to roughly $95 a month!
so that's no deal there.

Is there anyway I can sign up with T-Mobil over the internet?
That is, from Japan?

Stewsan,

what can you tell me about the 8707 you're willing to part with?
and do you know how I can sign up with T-mobile from here?

Thanks again, guys.

Dubdub
03-07-2009, 08:54 AM
If you live in Japan and plan on staying there for awhile, why would you not want to buy a BB and service from one of the Japanese carriers? If a non-Japanese device doesn't work when and where you need it, then what good is it?

rambo47
03-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Voice is the cheap part. Why no voice on the BB? They're pretty good phones, and carrying around a second device is not the ideal situation when one device will do.

Here's the 8707 (http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_8707v-1575.php), offered by Vodafone but usable on any GSM network unlocked. It's got UMTS 2100 MHz which no other Blackberry has had until the Bold.

stewsan
03-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Stewsan,

what can you tell me about the 8707 you're willing to part with?
and do you know how I can sign up with T-mobile from here?

Thanks again, guys.[/QUOTE]

The 8707 is unlocked and works fine. I picked it up from Vodaphone in Australia. I think you would be better off getting the plan in Japan, you aren't going to save a heck of a lot from t-mobile but check on it and let me know.

You can sign up on the web and I'll bring the sim card over for you if you decide to go that route. You can always cancel online. I'll give you the 8707 for 10k, I'm going to be in tokyo this coming week.

DaveDog
03-13-2009, 10:01 AM
stewsan,

thanks for your kind offer, but I'm going to hold off for now.

about a month ago a friend of mine had pretty much talked me into getting a BlackBerry, but I didn't think it would be such an ordeal.
The Bold really does look cool, but unfortunately sales here are still suspended.

I may even look into other smartphones....

thanks again.

Klotar
03-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Perhaps as a side note, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the DoMoCo Bolds use a different 3G frequency (at least for one of the bands) than the US Bolds (one that is not one of the band used by ATT or T-Mobile).

Might be a factor in the decision.

DaveDog
03-13-2009, 10:18 AM
yeah, as I understand it, DoCoMo used two different frequencies here in Japan. One for the dense urban areas, and another for rural areas. A Bold bought outside Japan will work as long you're in or near a decent size city in Japan (or so I've been told).

Unfortunately there are no BlackBerries even being sold in Japan right now...

stewsan
03-13-2009, 10:19 AM
DD, yes, it is a bit of a hassle, I agree. I'm using the storm and it's probably the only one in town for now. I'm in and out of Japan quite a bit so if you change your mind, drop me a note.

jcv35
03-30-2009, 10:13 AM
i currently use an iphone on AT&T here in the states but I'm planning on getting a blackberry since it hasn't been working well at all recently...I'll be in Tokyo working for the entire summer and while data is not an issue for me I want to make sure that I'll be able to make and receive calls and texts. What is the best way to go about this? I also currently have a Softbank phone in Japan that is prepaid and may or may not have a SIM card, so if I were to get an 8300 or 8800 series blackberry here in the U.S. would I be able to switch the prepaid SIM card into that phone for calls? Thanks for the help

dc/dc
03-30-2009, 11:26 AM
i currently use an iphone on AT&T here in the states but I'm planning on getting a blackberry since it hasn't been working well at all recently...I'll be in Tokyo working for the entire summer and while data is not an issue for me I want to make sure that I'll be able to make and receive calls and texts. What is the best way to go about this? I also currently have a Softbank phone in Japan that is prepaid and may or may not have a SIM card, so if I were to get an 8300 or 8800 series blackberry here in the U.S. would I be able to switch the prepaid SIM card into that phone for calls? Thanks for the help

The 8300 and 8800 models will not work in Japan as there is no GSM there. Only a Bold or 8707 will work in Japan.

stewsan
03-30-2009, 10:20 PM
You can add the Storm to that list of BB's that will work in Japan and if it's unlocked, like mine is, yes you can switch and use the prepaid card from Japan in it, only for voice calls....

dc/dc
03-31-2009, 06:41 AM
You can add the Storm to that list of BB's that will work in Japan and if it's unlocked, like mine is, yes you can switch and use the prepaid card from Japan in it, only for voice calls....

Right! Forgot about the Storm.

DaveDog
04-08-2009, 10:19 AM
if anyone is still following this thread:

it looks like RIM figured out how to fix whatever was causing the Japan-specific Bolds to overheat, and NTT Docomo's website is now saying that sales of the Bold will resume from April 10.