PDA

View Full Version : RIM's manufacturing quality

newsphotog45
03-01-2009, 09:16 AM
For ages, I had the older model BB's....7290, 7520, etc. I loved them because of how durable they were. I'm finding the newer BB's just aren't built as well.

I've had the new 8350i for just over a week and already its scratched up. The audio quality also isn't as good as it used to be on the older phones.

Any thoughts?

ndub33
03-01-2009, 09:22 AM
This is one guy's opinion, so take it as such.

You are probably right to a point, but I don't think RIM is any worse that any other device manufacturer. Manufacturers have to produce more phones to meet customer demand than they did five years ago, especially for the more popular models. More phones going out the factory door=more chances for a clunker to be in mix somewhere.

I'm not saying that if you get one, you should tolerate it, but that does seem to be the reality.

SteveO86
03-01-2009, 10:17 AM
This is one guy's opinion, so take it as such.

You are probably right to a point, but I don't think RIM is any worse that any other device manufacturer. Manufacturers have to produce more phones to meet customer demand than they did five years ago, especially for the more popular models. More phones going out the factory door=more chances for a clunker to be in mix somewhere.

I'm not saying that if you get one, you should tolerate it, but that does seem to be the reality.

Agreed, it's more of a less a fact of life nowadays, almost everything today is kind of a made of a lesser quality then years before. It's all about money/substitution for cheaper materials.

I think RIM is doing ok, I mean I've dropped my phones plenty of times to the point where the battery and the battery door go across the room, and I just put it back together and it works just fine.

takeshi
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Any thoughts?
Yeah, comments like this pop up every time a new model comes out. I will agree that current models aren't as tank like as the 72xx/75xx, 62xx and so on. The cases these days are painted. If you're OCD about scratches then get a BSE or IS full body kit.