PDA

View Full Version : BBM Roaming Charges

louman226
03-02-2009, 02:48 PM
I am an AT&T blackberry user and I am traveling to Mexico next week. I am aware that the roaming charge for a text message is 50 cents, and for data it is $0.02/kb.

Does anyone know approximately (on average) how many kb are in a BBM? I am trying to figure out the average cost per BBM to determine how frequently/sparingly I should use this feature while I am away.

Thanks.

dc/dc
03-02-2009, 04:12 PM
A BBM is probably a small fraction of a KB, but there isn't really a way to break it out from other data usage. I would use it sparingly if at all whilst roaming.

louman226
03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
if it's only a fraction of a kb, then using them while roaming wont be a problem because they will only cost <2 cents each. correct?

dc/dc
03-02-2009, 06:21 PM
if it's only a fraction of a kb, then using them while roaming wont be a problem because they will only cost <2 cents each. correct?

Correct, but bear in mind that your device is constantly sending and receiving data, so even if you're not actively using BBM, e-mail, or the web, you are incurring charges. You can disable data services, but then your BBM won't work. Even if you disable it, then only enable it to use BBM, your device will send you all of the data was queued whilst it was powered off, resulting in no real savings.

stufried
03-02-2009, 08:35 PM
You can add international roaming for $20 for a BB device and I've heard other people say that it is prorated and that you only need to add it for one month.

dc/dc
03-03-2009, 07:05 AM
You can add international roaming for $20 for a BB device and I've heard other people say that it is prorated and that you only need to add it for one month.

Not on at&t, who is the OP's provider. Their international plan costs significantly more, and requires a one-year contract.

scaevola
03-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (8300)

69.99 to activate ... One year required otherwise you pay the 250 early termintation fee. Tmobiles I believe is activatable as needed. This roaming fee is inaddition to your currently existing plan

dc/dc
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (8300)

69.99 to activate ... One year required otherwise you pay the 250 early termintation fee. Tmobiles I believe is activatable as needed. This roaming fee is inaddition to your currently existing plan

Thanks for confirming. I knew it was significantly more.