PDA

View Full Version : disable BB from checking mail?

mmreed
10-25-2005, 09:15 PM
I am wondering how to disable my blackberry 7100g from downloading/checking my email? Is there an on/off toggle?

There are times where I want the BB on and functional - phone, tasks, calendar, etc... but NOT downloading mail... there are times when I woudl rather check it at home on my PC rather than the BB.

Currently, mail gets downloaded to my BB and I have to delete it all.

any ideas?

blistered thumbs
10-25-2005, 11:47 PM
If you go into the phone mode >options>push to talk>then turn phone only to yes. this will turn off your PTT as well as your email messages.

mmreed
10-26-2005, 07:15 AM
If you go into the phone mode >options>push to talk>then turn phone only to yes. this will turn off your PTT as well as your email messages.

I have the 7100g from Cingular - it doesnt have a PTT option

John Clark
10-26-2005, 10:52 AM
If you are on Blackberry Enterprise Server you can go to Messages>Options>Email Settings>Send Email to Handheld-change it to "No". If you use Redirector just turn it off there. As far as your blackberry email address (user@<hidden>), if you use that, I'm not sure how to turn that off. You may be able to do it in Messages>Options>Email Filters> "If no filters apply, send email to handheld" set to "no." But I've not tried that. I don't know if that applies to just the BES mail or all mail.

Don't know if this helps or not but may give you something to try.

mmreed
10-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Im not on a BES... and I have my personal ISP email addresses setup too... I need a way just to turn off email. It seems very stupid they do not have this as an easy option... suppose im out and just dont want email deleivered to the bb?!?!?!?!?!?

John Clark
10-26-2005, 08:30 PM
If you can't turn email off completely, just select "phone only" in your profiles. Then at least you don't have to be notified when email comes in. Why would you pay $20-$40 for a data plan just to turn off all your email?

KonTiki
10-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Go to your BWC and set up a filter that you can turn on nd off as you wish or need.

John Clark
10-26-2005, 08:44 PM
don't know about cingular's site but the new tmobile site has a filter area with an option to "when no filters apply do not send email to handheld". You'd have to turn that off and on each time...and for each email address. I didn't see it in the handheld email setup website. (at least for tmobile)

mmreed
10-26-2005, 08:49 PM
I think phone only profile will do it... testing now...

mmreed
10-26-2005, 08:55 PM
nope phone only doesnt do it... emails still arrive... why the heck wouldnt they offer this option?

I have my personal ISP email setup at home and at work... when at work, it keeps them on the server so I can download them to my home pc... yet still check mail at work. So when I am at work and getting my mail, it is also going to the BB mail center and getting sent to my BB... that just stinks! I should be able to shut it off without having to delete mail accounts, or setup a filter and needing to log into the mail center each time... it should be an option on the phone "Do not collect email" simple as that. UHHGG

sinanju
10-26-2005, 09:05 PM
"Why would you pay $20-$40 for a data plan just to turn off all your email?"

Because you pay by the byte when you roam internationally.

John Clark
10-26-2005, 09:17 PM
"Why would you pay $20-$40 for a data plan just to turn off all your email?"

Because you pay by the byte when you roam internationally.

OK....I'll give you that. I didn't think about that since my company pays for all that and I don't think about it.

If you're going international then it would be worth taking a few minutes on your pc to disable it before you go. But I can see his point of not wanting them all coming in during work when he answers them there. I don't have any other answers. Sorry...

PS..."phone only" just turns off the notifications (ie vibrate or tones)....email will still arrive.

TXBBUSER
10-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Roaming internationally, at least to Canada, is not that expensive. I checked before I went. If you are not on BES, I don't think you can turn off email, but it doesn't matter, since it leaves your POP3 email on the server anyway, so the only inconvenience is that you have to delete the email from your BB. Not that big of a deal.

sinanju
10-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Roaming internationally, at least to Canada, is not that expensive. I checked before I went. If you are not on BES, I don't think you can turn off email, but it doesn't matter, since it leaves your POP3 email on the server anyway, so the only inconvenience is that you have to delete the email from your BB. Not that big of a deal.

Canada is the least of my problems... This year I've been to Malaysia, Singapore, New Zealand, UK, Spain, Hungary, Germany, Turkey, and Italy. In most places, data roaming is $1.50/kilobyte.

The device needs a GPRS on/off switch. My Nokia 6310i had one...

Edit: Oops... forgot Ireland, but that was vacation. Come to think of it.... all the more reason to be able to switch off GPRS.

John Clark
10-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Canada is the least of my problems... This year I've been to Malaysia, Singapore, New Zealand, UK, Spain, Hungary, Germany, Turkey, and Italy. In most places, data roaming is $1.50/kilobyte.

The device needs a GPRS on/off switch. My Nokia 6310i had one...

GPRS on/off would be nice....