PDA

View Full Version : What is a keystore

WTO
03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi,

What is a keystore? How does it work and why do we have to assign password to it? Kindly advice.

Regards.

Jadey
03-03-2009, 11:32 AM
In broad terms, the BB keystore securely stores and protects access to a set of cryptographic keys and certificates.

The keystore password is a password that is set on the device itself during setup. The first time your device asks for this password, you should see a space to enter a new password and then a space to confirm that password. This will be when the password is set and you will need to remember this for the future if and when it prompts for it again. This is a password set on the Blackberry device itself.

I will see what other hard info I can find for you.

WTO
03-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks. At least you gave me some ideas about it. But what are certificates?

Regards.

Jadey
03-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Certificates on BBs are based on the same general principle of trusted authorities as used on the web (in case of web, for example, Verisign etc. have top-level certs, and browsers decide whether to trust other sites/service certificates depending on their signed authority.)

Is your device on a BES and/or are you a BES admin?

SteveO86
03-03-2009, 09:29 PM
If you do a custom install on the Desktop Manager and install the Certificate Manager when you plug the BB into you computer and run the desktop manager it will prompt you to enter your BB password and then your keystore password (If you never setup your keystore password it will ask you to create at that point)

Certificates have many many functions, they can be used to encrypt/decrypt data, allow certain people access to certain websites, sign/encrypt email, and as Jadey mentioned it can verify and website really is who they say they are.

Bottom line it's just a way for computer to verify what/who is it is talking to securely.

Jadey
03-04-2009, 04:58 AM
I asked RIM for a documented explanation of the keystore, they don't really have one as far as they could get hold of yesterday.
They sent me this though, read through it especially from Page 15 onwards, might shed some more light on things