PDA

View Full Version : Does AT&T require data plan for the Bold?

sabrewulf
03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Or is it pointless to have a Bold w/o data plan? I'm just surprised that they charge more for data than the iPhone.

fonejunkie
03-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Or is it pointless to have a Bold w/o data plan? I'm just surprised that they charge more for data than the iPhone.

They don't require it... and only you can determine whether or not it's "pointless" to go without a data plan. Wifi gives you some access to data applications (provided the app works over wifi, and provided you are near a wifi network to which you can connect). But the 3G data makes web access fairly ubiquitous, and therefore is generally recommended.

dc/dc
03-03-2009, 02:02 PM

I believe it to be pointless to use a data-centric device like the BlackBerry without the proper plan.

Further, it does not cost any more per month than the iPhone.

The data plan for iPhone 3G costs $30/mo., BlackBerry Personal costs $30/mo.

sabrewulf
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I believe it to be pointless to use a data-centric device like the BlackBerry without the proper plan.

Further, it does not cost any more per month than the iPhone.

The data plan for iPhone 3G costs $30/mo., BlackBerry Personal costs $30/mo.

I thought I had seen $35/mo somewhere on their site. Maybe it was for business? I guess you make some good points being that it is data driven.

dc/dc
03-03-2009, 02:20 PM
I thought I had seen $35/mo somewhere on their site. Maybe it was for business? I guess you make some good points being that it is data driven.

The BlackBerry Enterprise plan is $45/mo. I believe, but I know that Personal is $30/mo.

Thatzmister2u
03-03-2009, 02:29 PM

Not to mention with a BB Data Plan you can drop any existing data plan and text package that you have because you can use IM or BB Messenger instead. I had a huge package for text a long time ago now I just have a small one for my non-BB friends (which aren't many!) :)

takeshi
03-04-2009, 09:28 AM
They don't require it... and only you can determine whether or not it's "pointless" to go without a data plan.
x2. You'll get plenty of replies telling you its pointless when the person saying so has no idea what your intentions are for the device. Know the limitations and make an educated decision. There's no one-size-fits-all answer.

thatboiwes
03-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I believe the data plan is actually $35. But if you have a voice plan with it, they give it to you for $30.

My 1st BlackBerry was the 7280 and shortly later got the 8700. When I switched to the 8700, I had the data plan added and it really brought my BlackBerry to life. In my opinion, if you're not going to add the data plan, I would go with a device a little more basic. To me, paying $300+ for a "hardcore" device and to only use its most basic functions would be a waste of money.

As previously stated, only you can decide if it's "pointless" or not, but I would definately recomend the data plan.