PDA

View Full Version : Nextel/Iden 8700

teamcrn
10-26-2005, 09:29 AM
anyone have any info on the 8700 coming out on nextel..i have the 7520 and was looking to get the 7100..but i will wait if the 8700 is in my future..

whsbuss
10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
A CDMA-8700 is not likely until June-06. Cingular has exclusive U.S. distribution for six months.

teamcrn
10-26-2005, 11:39 AM
nextel is iden not cdma

NJBlackBerry
10-26-2005, 11:49 AM
And since they almost have the 7100i out, I don't think we will see an iDen based 8700 (which has even been released officially by ANYONE) any time soon.

holywarrior74
10-26-2005, 11:55 AM
I would like to know if the 8700 will be available to nextel, I have a 7520 now and i'm tempted by the 7100...but i've seen pics of the 8700 and it looks great

whsbuss
10-26-2005, 12:06 PM
A CDMA-8700 is not likely until June-06. Cingular has exclusive U.S. distribution for six months.

Sorry about that.... Nextel is not CDMA. But I agree with others the 8700 won't be available on Nextel for at least six months.

teamcrn
10-26-2005, 12:24 PM
so i guess i should just get the 7100 and wait for the 8700

doggnutz
10-26-2005, 01:48 PM
so i guess i should just get the 7100 and wait for the 8700
teamcrn I would wait, nobody really knows for sure. The 7100 has been available for 2 weeks at nextel and some still think it's not available yet. I live in Texas and salesman showed me the 7100 the beginning of this month. It was not out on display he pulled two boxes from the back. So IMO i would wait man. I'm thinking it's coming earlier than most think. Also Nextel had the 7520 onsale for the last couple of weeks for 169.00 up until Oct 24th. Now they have a 100.00 rebate on the phone so I think it's coming sooner.

purephase
10-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Q2 2006 is the latest rumour I've heard for the iDEN 8700. I think 6 months sounds like a reasonable guess.

I'm going to pick-up the 7100i when it's available (I'm in Canada, so I still have to wait) and then most likely move the 8700 upon release. We'll see though.

Milkman
10-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Remember guys, Nextel and Sprint have merged. I don't think we necessarilly will require IDEN in the future... What do you think?

NJBlackBerry
10-30-2005, 10:05 AM
In 5 years, maybe. But for the next several years you will see both iDen and CDMA devices. It is going to be a huge effort to get those loyal Nextel customer to move to a "Sprint phone" unless the PTT is damn near identical and will work between both systems.

Dawg
10-30-2005, 12:43 PM
It is going to be a huge effort to get those loyal Nextel customer to move to a "Sprint phone" unless the PTT is damn near identical and will work between both systems.

Amen on that

stonent
10-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Sprint has PTT but I haven't seen it.

If they make a 8700, it will probably have to be CDMA with iDEN for DC.

Nextel does not have a high-speed network in place yet. Not like UMTS/EDGE/EVDO

If they could somehow tunnel DC transparently over 1xRTT or EVDO they could get around it I guess. DC runs on a very low bandwidth so as long as you're on an "always on" data network it could be relatively transparent.

ptzchris
10-30-2005, 03:24 PM
in my opinion i have WAS a nextel loyal customer up until they joined with sprint.....since the joining nextel has gone down the drain each day there are people switching to other carriers and leaving nextel....if sprint does manage to switch nextel customers over to a sprint phone i see there customers leaving quicker than doughnuts in a police station......my two cents.......their reliability as iden has gone down drastically....hell i even started working for tmobile.....and i have all my neighbors that had nextel coming to me to switch over......

but yeah sorry for the off topic just had to say saw some posts on sprint converting nextel customers

Dawg
10-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Sounds like you have had a bad experience I have not seen any of the issues you mention I actually think they have gotten better since the switch alot more features offered to us such as nights and weekends before 9 pm. mobile to mobile and others. So take the non nextel crap else where it dont fly here..in my opinion i have WAS a nextel loyal customer up until they joined with sprint.....since the joining nextel has gone down the drain each day there are people switching to other carriers and leaving nextel....if sprint does manage to switch nextel customers over to a sprint phone i see there customers leaving quicker than doughnuts in a police station......my two cents.......their reliability as iden has gone down drastically....hell i even started working for tmobile.....and i have all my neighbors that had nextel coming to me to switch over......

but yeah sorry for the off topic just had to say saw some posts on sprint converting nextel customers

ptzchris
10-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Sounds like you have had a bad experience I have not seen any of the issues you mention I actually think they have gotten better since the switch alot more features offered to us such as nights and weekends before 9 pm. mobile to mobile and others. So take the non nextel crap else where it dont fly here..

take it easy dawg i was just saying my opinion i had nextel for the past 3 years man i loved nextel always will but down here in florida its gotten bad everyone is letting nextel go.......but then again if you dont like my opinion thats your opinion to i know you ahve nextel....just putting my two cents in

stonent
10-30-2005, 04:22 PM
take it easy dawg i was just saying my opinion i had nextel for the past 3 years man i loved nextel always will but down here in florida its gotten bad everyone is letting nextel go.......but then again if you dont like my opinion thats your opinion to i know you ahve nextel....just putting my two cents in

I wonder where this leaves Southern Linc which operates in parts of Florida? Especially with the rumors of Sprint phasing out iDEN in the coming years.

JDWallace
10-30-2005, 04:47 PM
I don't know about any of the phasing out by sprint. But I do know that I have had zero problems from Nextel, and I have hated Sprint for a long time before having Nextel. I have not had any issues yet, but if the do away with the Nextel part or Iden...YUP...I'm taking my business else where. I was a little disappointed with the merger, but someone saw a profit I am sure! But to the topic at hand..8700...I am thinking of holding out on the 7100i for a little to see if the 8700 come out for Nextel. Plus I want everyone else to work out any bugs the 7100i has before getting it.

ptzchris
10-30-2005, 04:49 PM
I am thinking of holding out on the 7100i for a little to see if the 8700 come out for Nextel. Plus I want everyone else to work out any bugs the 7100i has before getting it.

good idea always give it time before you go buy the new product something new brings new problems til tested and worked out in everyday life situations...

Jack T. Chance
10-31-2005, 02:29 AM
Please stop sounding the death knell for iDen! Nextel is REQUIRED by various contracts they have in place to keep the iDen network up & running until at least 2010. I discovered that fact with fairly minimal research online. It's amazing what one can learn when one actually does a little research! ;-)

As for issues post-merger... This spring, just after I reached my 1-year point with Nextel, upgraded to the BB 7520, and renewed for 2 years... Service in the Washington D.C./Baltimore market took a turn for the worst. I've been experiencing wildly fluctuating signal strength in my neighborhood, DC problems (dropped calls, calls that can't connect, etc.), dead zones where there didn't used to be dead zones... Lots of crap. I've spent the summer complaining to Nextel tech support and getting NOWHERE. No one ever follows up on my calls! >=(

But what can I do? I don't have the money to pay the ETF and buy a BlackBerry with a different provider. Even if I did, I'd have to choose the lesser of 3 very evil evils... T-Mobile (low prices + weakest coverage = you get what you pay for), Verizon Wireless (largest, "most reliable" network + high prices + poor customer service + overly controlling carrier = frustration), or Cingular (Good coverage + highest prices + poor customer service = more frustration). :-(

I think I'm going to start writing snail-mail letters to Nextel and see if that gets me anywhere. :-(

And yes, I still say Nextel. I signed up with NEXTEL, not Sprint! I HATE Sprint and all they stand for. I am NOT a "Sprint customer" by choice. This merger sucks! The best carrier I've ever used is slowly but surely getting flushed down the crapper thanks to this merger! >=(

deficitism
10-31-2005, 06:44 AM
Doesnt the contract (in fine print) mention that service may be changed in the case of a merger? All nextel has to do is notify customers.

Aroc
10-31-2005, 10:24 AM
Remember guys, Nextel and Sprint have merged. I don't think we necessarilly will require IDEN in the future... What do you think?

In the short tern, yes. I get much better building pentration and reception in rural areas with a 7510 BB than I do with my Sprint PCS flip phone. That may be more to do with the differences between a BB and a flip phone, but still I think it is worth noting.

Jack T. Chance
10-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Doesnt the contract (in fine print) mention that service may be changed in the case of a merger? All nextel has to do is notify customers.I don't know, it might. But you're thinking only of the 1 or 2-year contract for individual customers. What I'm referring to with the 2010 timeframe is LONG-TERM contracts Nextel has in place with government and business clients. You know, the clients that may have THOUSANDS of phones on one account! Nextel has agreements with some of those clients that REQUIRE Nextel to keep the iDen network up & running until at least 2010. So the iDen network isn't going away anytime soon! ;-)In the short tern, yes. I get much better building pentration and reception in rural areas with a 7510 BB than I do with my Sprint PCS flip phone. That may be more to do with the differences between a BB and a flip phone, but still I think it is worth noting.
Partly, that's due to the fact that the Blackberries are the best phones Nextel has, reception wise. But it's also due to the nature of radio waves and how frequency determines range and penetration capability. Basically, lower frequency radio waves, such as Nextel's 800 mhz signal, carry farther from their transmitter than higher frequency waves, such as the 1800 and 1900 mhz signals used on most GSM carriers. This is why Nextel's coverage has been so good with a relatively small number of towers. When you use 800 or 900 mhz as your frequency range, you can cover a larger area, with fewer towers, than if you were operating on 1800 or 1900 mhz. 8-)

There are advantages to using the higher frequencies, though. Range just isn't as good as with 800 and 900 mhz. So, it's a tradeoff. Carriers like T-Mobile and Cingular get certain advantages from the high frequencies, but they have to put-up more towers than they would if they were using the lower frequencies.

tf1962
10-31-2005, 10:40 AM
I will second a lot of the above coverage issues. Our companies Florida operations have a lot more trouble with coverage than the Virginia/Maryland ones do (always have). Northern Virginia/Washington DC issues the last 6 months or so have been really bad. I loose more calls in a day than I used to lose in a month. I wish they would fix whatever they messed up.

Our Florida operations have switched over to Verizon in some cases. They have all turned off the DC (or whatever Verizon calls it) from their phones, it is so slow as to be unusable.

bbieber
10-31-2005, 11:50 AM
I would not be too sure that the iDen network will be around forever.

From:http://www.dailywireless.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4861

Broadband Reports says the US government may buy Nextel's iDEN network and use it for national security communications. It would put federal agencies, the military, and local authorities on the same encrypted network.

In exchange for the iDEN network, Sprint may get to reclaim spectrum in the 700 and 800 mHz bands as needed so they can build out a nationwide mobile WiMAX network.

Reportedly, an announcement won't come until 2007 or 2008, with the iDEN network being shut down for public use in 2010.

Many police officers are now equipped with Nextel cellphones as well as police radios. That gives them interoperability. Project 25 two-way radios ($2500) are designed for interoperability from the get-go.

DSS597
10-31-2005, 12:32 PM
The question is: Do you REALLY stand behind T-Mobile's service or do you just hook people up because you work there? I'm an RF engineer and I can tell you that T-Mobile has the worst transceivers (phones) and the worst overall coverage. I can't understand how they got all of those accolades from J.D. Powers & Associates. (Paid for them!)

Kinda' off subject I know, but I'm really lookin' for a candid answer. Just curious.

-597-

JDWallace
10-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Yeah I read something about that from a different source:

http://pcsintel.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1100

Don't know all the ends and outs for what that means for all of us, but I do know one thing. JUST KEEP MY FREAKING BB UP AND RUNNING.....OR I'LL DIE!!!!!!

Jack T. Chance
10-31-2005, 01:03 PM
The question is: Do you REALLY stand behind T-Mobile's service or do you just hook people up because you work there? I'm an RF engineer and I can tell you that T-Mobile has the worst transceivers (phones) and the worst overall coverage. I can't understand how they got all of those accolades from J.D. Powers & Associates. (Paid for them!)

Kinda' off subject I know, but I'm really lookin' for a candid answer. Just curious.

-597-If that's directed at me (I think it is), I do what I've been trained to do... I offer to use T-Mobile's Personal Coverage Check (an interactive coverage map) here at the store to show the customer the coverage at the addresses they'll use the phone the most. If coverage sucks where they plan to use it, they can see that clearly with their own 2 eyes. ;-)

If they don't want to take the time to do it at the store, I mention to them that they can go to T-Mobile.Com (http://www.t-mobile.com) at any time, click "coverage", and use the PCC themselves, to check out as many locations as they want.

That's how T-Mobile wants every dealer to do things. T-Mobile's policy is that the customer should have reasonable knowledge beforehand of what the coverage will be like where they plan to use the phone the most. For some people (my mother, for example), the coverage meets their needs. For others (myself when I had a Sidekick), it does not. And T-Mo encourages us to be upfront about that.

As for J.D. Power & Associates, I'm convinced they only interview stupid people that are easily pleased, because they've never interviewed me or anyone in my family. If they had, I'd tell them how lousy the coverage was where I used my Sidekick, and how unknowledgeable the customer service reps were when I had to call them. :-P

Dawg
10-31-2005, 03:03 PM
JD powers dont mean crap I worked for a company that won the JD Powers award for home builders and that company sucked balls But won all the time.

DSS597
10-31-2005, 09:34 PM
JD powers dont mean crap I worked for a company that won the JD Powers award for home builders and that company sucked balls But won all the time.
LOL!!! That's funny!! I hear ya' both man. Thanks for that.

corey@12mile
11-01-2005, 08:17 AM

-597-

I don't understand how you can say that, being that it's the handheld manufacturer's that decide which chips go in the phone. Are you saying that all GSM chipsets suck? Do you work for Qualcomm?

I highly doubt you are an RF engineer, because a statement like that is truely ignorant of how RF works with cellular systems. Even the towers themselves... You have several providers of equipment, although most GSM towers in North America are SE products, which I wouldn't say suck.

To critisize a provider saying that they have the worst chips in the phone is really a flamebait worthy statement. The providers have input on the firmware side of the handsets, but don't have any more input other than yes we will buy, or no we will pass on the hardware.

Talking about worst trancievers... if you are an RF engineer let's talk about the true role of the antenna on CDMA2000 handsets... how much power does a CDMA handset have to push out to get descent signal strength and quality?

I think maybe your idea of RF engineer is a guinea pig to see if RF will cause brain tumors... how's your head?

cd/

Milkman
11-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Just my two cents on this thread.

It is funny that Florida was brought up in this thread as having a lot of Nextel problems. In the past 10-12 months, everyone I know with Nextel has had horrible, horrible problems with their service, specifically dropped calls, "USER BUSY IN DATA" (this one due to floating in and out of range, not because of BB), "CALL FAILED, PLEASE TRY AGAIN". Nextel recently called me and I gave them an ear full about it. They referred me to the NETWORK TROUBLES part of their website, and I posted that link in the general forums. It seems that Florida as a whole has a lot of Nextel problems. The GOOD news (?) is that when Nextel surveyed me, they looked up my area and said that network expansion is planned at the end of this month. What that entails, I don't know, and could just simply be a smoke screen. Just FYI nonetheless.

SmurfBerry
01-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Please stop sounding the death knell for iDen! Nextel is REQUIRED by various contracts they have in place to keep the iDen network up & running until at least 2010. I discovered that fact with fairly minimal research online. It's amazing what one can learn when one actually does a little research! ;-)

As for issues post-merger... This spring, just after I reached my 1-year point with Nextel, upgraded to the BB 7520, and renewed for 2 years... Service in the Washington D.C./Baltimore market took a turn for the worst. I've been experiencing wildly fluctuating signal strength in my neighborhood, DC problems (dropped calls, calls that can't connect, etc.), dead zones where there didn't used to be dead zones... Lots of crap. I've spent the summer complaining to Nextel tech support and getting NOWHERE. No one ever follows up on my calls! >=(

But what can I do? I don't have the money to pay the ETF and buy a BlackBerry with a different provider. Even if I did, I'd have to choose the lesser of 3 very evil evils... T-Mobile (low prices + weakest coverage = you get what you pay for), Verizon Wireless (largest, "most reliable" network + high prices + poor customer service + overly controlling carrier = frustration), or Cingular (Good coverage + highest prices + poor customer service = more frustration). :-(

I think I'm going to start writing snail-mail letters to Nextel and see if that gets me anywhere. :-(

And yes, I still say Nextel. I signed up with NEXTEL, not Sprint! I HATE Sprint and all they stand for. I am NOT a "Sprint customer" by choice. This merger sucks! The best carrier I've ever used is slowly but surely getting flushed down the crapper thanks to this merger! >=(

I hate to ruin your pitty party, but I live just outside of Baltimore and my office is in D.C., and I also travel a tremendous amount throughout the country. I am having limited issues with my BB 7520 right now. I am having no issues in the Home Network. Baltimore and Washington are working great for me.

The most trouble I have is when I am south in Georgia and Flordia.

SmurfBerry
01-21-2006, 12:39 PM
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I am not technologically specific when it comes to certain carriers. Why is surfing the internet on my BB 7520 so slow and if I get the 7100i is it the same?

To get faster service we need to wait until Nextel makes a phone off of the IDEN network I assume?