PDA

View Full Version : What is your ideal BlackBerry?

duane534
03-04-2009, 08:25 PM
I recently sold my BlackBerry 8320 for an 8900, but while I was shopping around, I found that, to be honest, the phone I wanted wasn't there. My primary goal was to get GPS and turn-by-turn navigation, as Google Maps w/o GPS left me high and dry a while back. However, I am less-than-enthused about the sheer size of many of the BlackBerries. I'm really interested in the Pearl Flip form factor, but the specs. Pathetic processor, no GPS, blah. I even looked at other manufacturers and found myself in a similar state.

What I would really like is something with a form factor like the T-Mobile G1. Maybe, a bit smaller, but keeping the front touch screen and the slide out QWERTY keyboard. Give it the best of the specs from the Bold, Curve II, and Storm where applicable. I really wouldn't mind a slightly-higher price tag or the fact that it might look like a Zun... G1.

I really have no problem with BB OS 4.7, just that the screen and the accelerometer are unresponsive. Behavior is fine. Performance is not. That's why I got rid of my 8320. If I streamed audio, it would almost lock up the phone.

What would you guys consider to be your ideal BlackBerry?

aingaran
03-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Quite frankly, I think the Bold is a pretty neat device. Has everything I need.

koleary19067
03-04-2009, 08:43 PM
The bold is great

duane534
03-04-2009, 08:48 PM
It's so huge, though. And, a lower-res camera than the 8900. WTF?

duane534
03-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Also, I much prefer the "chiclette" keys of the Curve over the Bold's flat ones. How can you type on that??

SteveO86
03-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Also, I much prefer the "chiclette" keys of the Curve over the Bold's flat ones. How can you type on that??

All personal preference I actually prefer the keybaord on my old 8830 then the one on my 8330.

Bold has the ability to make phone calls while being able to search the web, send/receive emails which in my book is a huge plus.

duane534
03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I understand that. I think I could get used to the 9000's keyboard. I actually think I could eventually acclimate to the 95xx's. I just think my thumbs would eventually fall off with all that.

Do you really search the web or email while you're on a call? WTF?

jsconyers
03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I agree with Steve. I liked my 8830's keys better than my 8330's. Yes, the Bold is 3G. With 3G you can get voice and data simultaneously. This is a nice feature to have. Imagine you're talking to someone and they need to send you directions somewhere, you can get it while still talking to them. Or if you need to look something up for them, you can use your browser while still on the phone with them. This is the benefit of 3G, not to mention speed.

duane534
03-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I understand. I think I never noticed that issue because I primarily use HotSpot@<hidden>, which yields the same capability.

SteveO86
03-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Do you really search the web or email while you're on a call? WTF?

I've got a BlueTooth headset (JawBone 2 )so I typically go threw my BB (checking calendar events, taking notes, etc) and their have been a handful of events were it would have been great to send an email to while talking to someone.

Instead of saying you will get it when we hang up.

duane534
03-04-2009, 10:34 PM
I've got a BlueTooth headset (JawBone 2 )so I typically go threw my BB (checking calendar events, taking notes, etc) and their have been a handful of events were it would have been great to send an email to while talking to someone.

Instead of saying you will get it when we hang up.

Apparently, the spell check does not work when you're on a call. :razz:

monkeypaw
03-04-2009, 10:43 PM
I want a touchscreen model with a sliding full keyboard. Can't beat the full keyboard, but 90% of the times I pick up the phone, I could get away with a touchscreen.

duane534
03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I want a touchscreen model with a sliding full keyboard. Can't beat the full keyboard, but 90% of the times I pick up the phone, I could get away with a touchscreen.

Same here. Perhaps, a Storm with a QWERTY that slides from beneath, like on a G1.

piester
03-05-2009, 08:51 AM
3g, wifi, gps, basic physical setup as the g1. but a bit slimmer like the iphone. bold qwerty keypad. games of the iphone but os of the bb. and might as well throw in a battery that will last a month or so. a higher res camera. 32 gigs of internal memory for apps and dual micro sd slots. flash player. i think thats enough

duane534
03-06-2009, 04:40 AM
3g, wifi, gps, basic physical setup as the g1. but a bit slimmer like the iphone. bold qwerty keypad. games of the iphone but os of the bb. and might as well throw in a battery that will last a month or so. a higher res camera. 32 gigs of internal memory for apps and dual micro sd slots. flash player. i think thats enough

Demanding much? LOL... Especially with that kind of battery life with 3G.

Why would you need WiFi along with 3G, though?

zocster
03-06-2009, 04:44 AM
the pearl with 3G, video call, wifi, GPS, ... if i wanted a brick I would have gone back to the 90s ...

btdown
03-06-2009, 06:38 AM
It's so huge, though.

My Bold isnt big enough. They need to drop a full screen slider with keyboard underneath. Any while they're at it, make a bit wider and taller. And make it fatter too, to accommodate a huge ass battery that will last a long time.

Pearl is waay too small...it's a chick phone for gods sake!

xkylar
03-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Wirelessly posted

If my Bold's screen is the touch type like iPhone and that would be awesome.

piester
03-06-2009, 06:59 AM
wifi and 3g because where i live theres no 3g. but right over the hill there is. so when im at work or out and about i have 3g but in my house i have 1 or 2 bars on EDGE

arcurlyq
03-06-2009, 08:00 AM
I have been very happy with the Bold, although I also really liked my Curve 8310 (which had GPS). However, the screen on the bold is astonishing and I love the fact that it has a video camera too. It's a little bulkier than I would have liked and there are definitely some features RIM could work on, but overall it's a powerful little gadget.

Shaif
03-06-2009, 08:55 AM
At this moment i am ussing the Bold before that i was ussing the 8300.

I LOVE THE BOLD IT IS SUPER!!!!!!!!!

ndub33
03-06-2009, 09:04 AM
My ideal BlackBerry would have the dimensions of a Pearl, a Qwerty keyboard, wifi, 3G, an 1GB of onboard memory.

jeremyckitching
03-06-2009, 09:09 AM
My ideal BlackBerry would have the dimensions of a Pearl, a Qwerty keyboard, wifi, 3G, an 1GB of onboard memory.

No need of GPS???

ndub33
03-06-2009, 09:20 AM
LOL! I actually don't use GPS a lot, although I prorbably should. Go ahead, throw that in too.(y)