PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Calendar Sync Issues

northface202
03-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I work in the IT Deparment and I deal with Blackberry issues all the time but the most annoying and reoccuring issue is syncing the Outlook Calendar. The sync will work fine on some days then it will persistently stop on a specific record. It is also pretty annoying to have to delete calendar events that are conflicting with the Desktop manager to allow it to sync properly. What is also annoying about Blackberries is that they don't show you a scope of what calendar events might be causing this sync error, if a user has over 3,000 calendar records then you can spend the whole day trying to pick a needle out of a hackstack. Any solutions or ideas to this common Blackberry issue?

Info:

Running: Outlook 2003
Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5
Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330
Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.5.0.16
No BES Server

Trimix
03-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Are you able to see what the conflicts are (changes/additions/deletions) etc?

When I have issues with Calendar sync I hit refresh on BB DM, or if it's really bad, I just do a one-way sync with the data that's most recent and just start from there again. Fresh start you know?

northface202
03-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Are you able to see what the conflicts are (changes/additions/deletions) etc?

When I have issues with Calendar sync I hit refresh on BB DM, or if it's really bad, I just do a one-way sync with the data that's most recent and just start from there again. Fresh start you know?

Whenever I get a conflict, I look at the conflict log on BB DM and it just point to the conflict but it doesn't provide me with an answer as to why this event conflicts with the sync. I then go to Outlook and delete the event and resync then the next conflict will be the next record number and so on.

I'm interested in learning more about the refresh or BB DM, I have sync'ed one way to eliminate duplicate events and then I have changed the setting back to two way and it worked ok. Is it me or are Blackberries in the work place real sensitive when it comes to syncing with Outlook (NO BES)?

Trimix
03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't remember this exactly, but here's what you can do, next time you see a conflict, click on DETAILS. New window will open up showing you whether it was a change/delete/add. Scroll to the OPERATION (change/delete/add part) and double click. It should then open up another window (maximize if you have to) showing you what field was editted (look for red exclaimation point).

I wish I could give you a better explanation of what the refresh actually does. I came across it when I was first learning to use Outlook/BB DM. I think it does a more complete "look" at all your data to see what needs to be synched or not.

I came from Palm and I found their syncs to be more seamless and more straightforward. But once I got used to BB and Outlook, I haven't had too many more problems.