PDA

View Full Version : Domino / BES / WAN and Latency?

john_rowland
03-05-2009, 01:02 PM
A search for hits on "latency" returns mostly threads involving Exchange and MAPI and BES and location of the BES relative to the Exchange server.

Do the same issues apply for Domino 6.x or 7.x? Our 4.1.4 BES is in the US. Our EU and Asian users are increasingly experiencing delays of up to 8 hours between a message send in Notes and a receipt on the BB device. We have had similar "delay" or failure issues with EA for these sites.

I randomly pinged from the BES to the Malaysia Domino server and got an average 250ms roundtrip.

Any advice on how to pinpoint the root cause of issues like this?

Thanks,

John Rowland

knottyrope
03-05-2009, 01:11 PM
latency kills.

m4ilm4n
03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
How are they connected - private line, VPN tunnel, et al? You could run a message trace from one Domino to the other and compare log entry timestamps. I remember reading somewhere that it's recommended to run the two servers "as close as possible" network-wise, although that's not always feasible. Big pipes, big money...

john_rowland
03-05-2009, 03:24 PM
We use LAN to LAN connection over VPN tunnels. Approx 3-4 mbps according to the cisco ASA guy.

If I understand my boss, the mail messages route from here to there fairly normal, (or in the case of two Malaysian users their mailboxes are on the same server) but the message doesn't show up on the Malaysia handheld for hours sometimes. What would I look for in the logs etc. to see if polling from the BES to the remote mail files is being derailed?

m4ilm4n
03-06-2009, 07:07 AM
You could start by looking at Replication Events in the server logs; check that the events are occurring pretty much according to the schedule set up in the replication config documents.

hwallinger
03-06-2009, 08:26 AM
we had a similar situation in our environment,
central BES in EU, domino servers in Asia,
we tried several things
the final solution was now to place a regional BES in Asia

noname
03-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Slowness in your environment can be validated by examing your BES MAGT log. See if there are "No Response" threads, chances are something in your environment is slow.

Sample
{
MAGT log:
[20315] (03/04 12:08:09):{0x1A2} Thread: *** No Response *** Thread Id=0x36, Handle=0x3E0, WaitCount=1, Last Activity: New Message for user CN=User Name/O=Company.
}

RIM Reference: View Document (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB03124)

john_rowland
03-10-2009, 04:45 PM
I will look at the logs and see what I can find. Also posted a service request with RIM to help diagnose before throwing more BES hardware at it. I have users in Perth and Jakarta who report no problems with delays. Only my Kauala Lumpur users.