PDA

View Full Version : Internet w/o BIS free?

Michael.Bauer.127
03-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I used anworm's method of activating my browser without any BIS. I was wondering if I would still get charged for data transfers and if so, is it pay as you go (like every KB downloaded or something).

fonejunkie
03-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I can't say for sure, as I don't know what "anworm's method" is... but be guaranteed that if you are "beating the system", eventually your provider will catch up and yes, at that point you will be charged a la carte data rates ($0.01/kb)...

There is no free lunch... and if you aren't paying, other customers of that carrier will be...

zocster
03-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I used it for a while, decided to go the BIS way to get the most out of my bb, if you don't go the BIS way, ..... it's like buying a V8 car but can't afford the petrol, you know pretty well when you got your BB, you will want to use it to it's potential.

Trimix
03-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I used it for a while, decided to go the BIS way to get the most out of my bb, if you don't go the BIS way, ..... it's like buying a V8 car but can't afford the petrol, you know pretty well when you got your BB, you will want to use it to it's potential.

When you were using it, did you get charged for data?

(This is what the OP was referring to: Home ‎(BlackBerry Without BIS)‎ (http://bb.anworm.com/))

zocster
03-06-2009, 07:50 PM
yes that's the one i tried out, it uses the generic data plan, over here it's $1.00 a day 10 mb so for 40 a month i get 200 mb on BIS so ... decided to go the BIS way as it shapes the traffic well. Just a little note you can't use BB messenger with this trick, there is no service book for it.

Trimix
03-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Oh okay I thought it was a completely free "hack/mod/work-around"

zocster
03-06-2009, 08:14 PM
you can try it on a prepay, when i did i could only use opera mini without getting charged, but on account it will use it so i figured no point

takeshi
03-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I used anworm's method of activating my browser without any BIS. I was wondering if I would still get charged for data transfers and if so, is it pay as you go (like every KB downloaded or something).
Depends specifically on your carrier and how you configured your TCP settings. It's entirely possible to configure it and get billed at the pay-per-use rate. It's also possible to configure it and not get billed at all. Details would really help.

Best bet, of course, is just to get the BB data plan. From what I've seen at&t does periodically review things and then bill people for historical use in some cases.

That's a tired analogy that just won't die on any of the BB discussion sites. I mean, if you're not using BES it's like buying a V8 and disabling several cylinders and removing a lot of the fancy features from your car. However, I don't harp on people about it because not everyone needs BES. Similarly, not everyone needs BIS. Plenty of people use BB's without a data plan at all. Just be aware of all the limitation and implications and make sure that you're ok with them.

If you're trying to weasel your way around paying for a BB data plan be aware that there's a risk that your carrier will stick it to you when they find out.

rambo47
03-09-2009, 10:01 AM
AT&T is pretty serious about monitoring users' data consumption, so I'd bet you're going to get charged on a per kb basis. That will make the cost of a data plan look miniscule. :)