PDA

View Full Version : New to the Blackberry

Dave
10-29-2004, 06:11 AM
Hello everybody, I’m new to the Blackberry, just upgraded from the Motorola P935 which I have been using for about three years now to the Blackberry 7290. The basic features are great, but I’m finding that the advanced features IM, web browsing and others are not a given and require extra setup and in some cases money. So, I have arrived here for some insight.

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with everybody and sharing anything I learn.

Thanks

Dave

Inphektion
10-29-2004, 08:13 AM
Welcome. Keep reading, you'll learn a lot.

ronan675
10-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Welcome to bb forums. Are you on BWC or BES as you will have problems with Instant messaging on BWC only setups.

Dave
10-29-2004, 12:17 PM
I’m with Cingular and I’m assuming that it’s BES. But it’s funny that you mentioned it, I just installed VeriChat and it does not work it gives me a “could not open tunnel - failed.” I sent a message to their support, but have not heard anything yet.

Dave

Fireproof
10-29-2004, 03:56 PM
If you haven't specifically installed BB Enterprise Server yourself, or coordinated with your company to get you configured with BES, then you most likely have BWC, not BES.

As a result, VeriChat won't work without BES.

Dave
10-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Is there a chat package that will work with the BWC? Cingular is not real clear about their configuration. When I look at the browser push settings it has MDS, WAP and Push on and process service load MDS Hosts, SMSC Host and IP Host Allow all. I can't tell if this means that the service are available or it will accept the if I add them.

I’m amazed how little information Cingular provides, but maybe they simply don’t provide any of these services.

Gothalyptic
10-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Cingular is BWC (Blackberry Web Client), at least for now. Cingular isn't looking to roll out a public BES/MDS until 4.0 is released officially (last I heard). Your best bet to get everything working is to check out myblackberry.us, $10USD a month, I use them, and it's well worth it, opens the blackberry up 100% to use verichat, blackchat and many other chat, ssh, telnet, IM, and many other IP protocal based applications.

WorldIRC
10-29-2004, 05:12 PM
I vouch for myblackberry.us as well...

Dave
10-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the advice I’m going to give “myblackberry.us” a try. The PDA world is new to me and didn’t realize how little I new. On the other hand as a programmer, I see a lot of opportunity for developing and providing solutions. Anyway, I appreciate everybody’s help if it wasn’t for this forum I would be using my Blackberry for bait tomorrow morning.

Gothalyptic
10-29-2004, 05:14 PM
lol Dave. No worries man, that's why Guess designed this place! :) There is a lot of ops for programmers to write things for the BB, without a doubt, there's a lot of untapped potential on this thing that noone has written anything to assist. Check out some of the other forums around here, there's a lot of demand for a lot of program types without doubt you'll see something you could try your hand at! Developer forum here on BBF has a wealth of information as well.

again welcome to the blackberry world my friend!

WorldIRC
10-29-2004, 05:19 PM
welcome!