PDA

View Full Version : Truth or Crap? The CSR said....

TXLady
03-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Okay, I've been stewing over this one for several days. Last week I called customer support about problems my Mom was having with her 8220. The rep was very cheerful and tried to be helpful but I'm pretty sure that she was just reading her script. I think we did finally solve the problem, but one thing she said while I was on the phone is, IMO, pure BS, crap, whatever you want to call it.

She said that you absolutely must turn your BB off and reboot it every few days, at least once per week. I, of course, proceeded to tell her that, while I knew she was only repeating what she was supposed to, that it was total crap. I've had several blackberries, both personal and work, and on NONE of them, have I ever rebooted on a regular basis. Turning the phone off is something I just don't do. She proceeded to argue with me that not only BBs, but all phones should be turned off once per week.

So, I bring it to you guys. What do you think.

jsconyers
03-09-2009, 09:39 PM
If a CSR said it, it must be true :razz:

No, you don't have to reboot the device weekly. I recommend doing it as it clears up some memory, but it is NOT a must.

Ohh, and you forgot the beer and vodka options in your poll :smile:

MarcusT
03-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Yea, AT&T customer service is trained to say the same thing. The exact timing to "once a week". Eh, I don't think its total crap. What? Taking 3 minutes out of your week to pull the battery and reinsert it is such a huge inconvenience? Not to attack you, but I have had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with people who think restarting the phone is a huge pain the butt and yell at me over it.

JSanders
03-09-2009, 10:15 PM
A must? No.

Wise? Yes.

You choose.

There are thousands of posts here advising 1-2x/week a powered-on, battery pull reboot. It's brushing your teeth. It's not required, but great maintenance.

alb123
03-09-2009, 11:17 PM
I tend to do a battery pull once every few days just for the heck of it. As mentioned before, it will clear up the tiniest of memory issues and it can be done handily while one goes to the bathroom to shave/shower etc..

I also have a docking station that keeps my 2nd battery trickle charged and I'll occasionally switch the battery out as well - just to keep the two batteries as balanced as I can, in terms of usage....

Chris

markhutchison
03-09-2009, 11:36 PM
You don't have to ... but the device will most likely perform better if you do.

ndub33
03-10-2009, 12:37 AM
It's just good due dilligence. I reboot mine regularly.

Oditius
03-10-2009, 04:38 AM
I set mine to shut off and turn on 15 minutes later in the middle of the night. Keeps the phone clean and crisp. Do I have to do it? Nope. But I did notice after a few days. (4 or 5) the phone slows down. Even my memory manager doesn't help. But now after rebooting every night, no problems. Just remember, people who argue with tech support, get accidentally disconnected 80% of the time. :x

SteveO86
03-10-2009, 07:02 AM
As stated already it's not a must, but it should be done sometimes.. Some of my users run their phone for 40+ days striaght at which I advise them to do a battery pull lol.

I typically add/remove apps so frequently I end up rebooting maybe 2-3 times a week.

TXLady
03-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Okay, I am duely chastised and now regret telling the young CSR that I thought this was crap. Although I have not in the past rebooted any of my phones unless there was a problem (in which case battery pull has been one of the first measures to take), I'll think about it in the futre.....and, knowing me, probably still not reboot unless there is a problem. But I will not longer tell people this is crap.

Too many people whose opinions I respect here have pointed out the error of my ways.

Thanks guys. Glad I asked.

JeepJen
03-10-2009, 08:33 AM
It's amazing how often a reboot can fix an issue with just about anything. I think it's a good idea to reboot on somewhat of a regular basis of most electronics, even computers. I don't know how many times my husband has complained about some strange issue he's having on his PC and the first words out of my mouth are always "Have you re-booted yet?" And after he fiddles and fusses he gives in and it's fixed. Being proactive with your re-boots will reduce the likelihood of bizarre issues, though not eliminate it.
Just my 2 cents.

pshift
03-10-2009, 10:28 AM
As a rule, it's crap. As a good operating practice to do this from time-to-time, recommended. It's amazing how a bad device or faulty OS can be 'made whole' with workarounds nowadays.

I guess quality no longer counts for anything today.

dc/dc
03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
I am protesting this poll as beer is not an option.

Serkle K
03-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Wirelessly posted

I must say I was never big on relying on power cycling and rebooting phones untill I got to my WinMo device and now my Bold. I have never before seen such a big impact and difference a simple battery pull and reboot can make. Though the fact that it has to be done is almost annoying, it still amazing on how much it helps

TXLady
03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I am protesting this poll as beer is not an option.

Sorry. Here you go.
http://thumb5.webshots.net/t/74/74/6/5/71/2360605710101587385UbLuwo_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2360605710101587385UbLuwo)

takeshi
03-11-2009, 08:58 AM
She said that you absolutely must turn your BB off and reboot it every few days, at least once per week.
If you're having unresolved issues this may help to alleviate the symptoms. However, for a properly functioning BB that's certainly not true.

benf13
03-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I reboot my Bold weekly or so, it just seems to make it run better and often will resolve some small (or large) problem I have, if it resolves nothing it's not a big deal, it only takes a few minutes to do.

knottyrope
03-11-2009, 12:58 PM
It is crap, my BlackJack goes days on end with no reboot or battery pull!

TXLady
03-11-2009, 12:59 PM
If you're having unresolved issues this may help to alleviate the symptoms. However, for a properly functioning BB that's certainly not true.

Well, the 8220 in question was certainly not functioning properly....the problem was that it was randomly rebooting itself. Of course, I had tried the battery re-boot more than once before calling. The battery reboot appeared to have to impact on the random self rebooting.

I know that's one of the first lines of resolution in solving problems....I guess I was more ticked than anything by being told that you HAVE to do this and that it applies to ALL phones (not just BBs).