PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail does not sync?

Ozark
03-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Just got the 8330 Curve this weekend. I like the phone but email does not sync with my Hotmail or my work email.

Any ideas? All of the email information for both Hotmail and my work email is entered correctly under the "edit email" function.

No, I don't have a Blackberry Enterprise server and I am using internet service through my carrier (Alltel). My work email uses an internal server (internal as in company owned and operated, not a second or third party).

rambo47
03-10-2009, 02:16 PM
You can set up email accounts via pc at Alltel's BIS page. Of course you need a genuine Blackberry data plan to use the built-in mail client. Log into your account and set up the email accounts there, then send the service books to your Blackberry.

Hotmail is hit-or-miss with Blackberrys. Mine works but it doesn't sync cancelled/not cancelled. Usually read/unread works. And I'm getting my inbox mail almost instantaneously.

Your corporate mail should be the same unless they restrict access to BES-only. Unfortunately that is the norm nowadays.

jsconyers
03-10-2009, 02:18 PM
In addition, you will need a BlackBerry Data Plan.

takeshi
03-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Just got the 8330 Curve this weekend. I like the phone but email does not sync with my Hotmail or my work email.

Just to clarify, email doesn't sync on any BB. All BB email is pushed and (in some cases) reconciled. The level of reconciliation you can expect depends on whether you're on BES or BIS and the type of email account you're integrating with BIS. Reconciliation isn't the same thing as sync though it offers many of the same features. The key difference from a practical standpoint is that reconciliation will never push old email to your device (where sync would).

I can't specifically answer for Hotmail, unfortunately. What type of email account do you have for work? Do they use Exchange or some other corporate email system? Is it an IMAP or POP server? Or something else entirely?