PDA

View Full Version : 8830 signal issues?

wadecool
03-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Lately, my Sprint 8830 has had a low signal or no signal in places it used to have a full signal, or it will have all signal bars but no signal type beside them, i.e. 1XEV. Anyone else have similar issues or know what's going on? Thanks.

SteveO86
03-10-2009, 06:55 PM
What OS are you running on your device?

(might want to update your profile when you get a chance)
Has anything changed around you?

VZW lets me dial *228 to find the nearest cell tower does sprint have anything similiar?

wadecool
03-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I think my OS is 4.2. How do I find the newest OS for the Sprint 8830?

jsconyers
03-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Here is the latest OS for the 8830.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/178471-latest-os-8830-4-5-0-201-4-5-0-135-multilanguage.html

To update your PRL, you will need to contact Sprint. Verizon allows you to dial *228 and select option 2, as SteveO stated.

Also, you should update your profile to reflect your current device. It will help with future questions.

wadecool
03-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Sorry, I didn't even notice that my profile wasn't current, fixed it though. My OS is 4.2.2.123 which is the latest version I suppose.

jsconyers
03-12-2009, 02:38 PM
The latest version for your 8830 is 4.5.0.135.

phantomtech
03-17-2009, 07:31 AM
For the last two days, I have been switching between 1XEV and 1xev. Signal strength is good. The weird thing is, I still get my emails and other items when I am on 1xev. I thought 1xev was voice only.

When I first noticed this, I called Sprint and waited forever to talk to someone. We went with the PRL update. The PRL update took place about an hour later. Yet I still have the same issue last night and today.

All other BB's in the house are not experiencing this issue. So as the OP said, is anyone else experiencing this type of issue? or some other issue relating to service.

(My profile should be up to date.)

phantomtech
03-18-2009, 08:37 AM
I spent a few minutes on the phone with Sprint yesterday. Once I got to the Advanced Tech Support, we got my problem fixed. The Rep I talked to said that there seems to be an issue with some 8830's and 4.5.xxx.xxx

What he had to do was remove my phone from the network and then re-add my phone to the network. Then he forced a Service Book copy to my BB.

Now, my 1XEV issue is fixed and my signal strength doesn't jump all over the place.

He didn't explain anymore than that, and I didn't care at the time because I was late leaving for a meeting.

You may want to give Sprint a call and ask for Advanced Tech Support for BlackBerry.

SteveO86
03-18-2009, 06:45 PM
You can re-send you service books by logging into your BIS account or using the email setup icon on your BlackBerry no need to call tech support :)

Janir
03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
I've had similar issues with Sprint on some upgrades. A call to Sprint to re-register the phone on the Sprint network generally took care of it.

I spent a few minutes on the phone with Sprint yesterday. Once I got to the Advanced Tech Support, we got my problem fixed. The Rep I talked to said that there seems to be an issue with some 8830's and 4.5.xxx.xxx

What he had to do was remove my phone from the network and then re-add my phone to the network. Then he forced a Service Book copy to my BB.

Now, my 1XEV issue is fixed and my signal strength doesn't jump all over the place.

He didn't explain anymore than that, and I didn't care at the time because I was late leaving for a meeting.

You may want to give Sprint a call and ask for Advanced Tech Support for BlackBerry.

phantomtech
03-19-2009, 04:17 PM
You can re-send you service books by logging into your BIS account or using the email setup icon on your BlackBerry no need to call tech support :)

They didn't just send my mail service books. They sent everything, provisioning, mms, etc. service books.

SteveO86
03-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Provisioning, MMS, and much much more is all controlled by Service Books.

So Re-sending service books will actually resend all that.