PDA

View Full Version : BBRY 8830 from Verizon to use in Guatemala

rdstoll
03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Hello all - I've found various info on this forum regarding my question but just want to double-check with the good folks here to make sure.

I have an old 8830 Red from Verizon that I no longer use (ditched it for the iPhone last year). However, I am going to be spending some time in Guatemala and want to see if I can use it with one of the providers down there by swapping out the SIM card so that I can make/receive calls locally and avoid the outrageous call charges I'd otherwise incur if I try to use my iPhone down there.

My question is this: is it as easy as just swapping out the SIM cards or do I have to do some specific 'unlocking' of the device as well? I know Guatemala does not use CDMA but figure the 8830 will work down there since other posters on here seem to have used it there without any issues (GSM).

Any help or guidance as to where to look is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

dc/dc
03-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Hello all - I've found various info on this forum regarding my question but just want to double-check with the good folks here to make sure.

I have an old 8830 Red from Verizon that I no longer use (ditched it for the iPhone last year). However, I am going to be spending some time in Guatemala and want to see if I can use it with one of the providers down there by swapping out the SIM card so that I can make/receive calls locally and avoid the outrageous call charges I'd otherwise incur if I try to use my iPhone down there.

My question is this: is it as easy as just swapping out the SIM cards or do I have to do some specific 'unlocking' of the device as well? I know Guatemala does not use CDMA but figure the 8830 will work down there since other posters on here seem to have used it there without any issues (GSM).

Any help or guidance as to where to look is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

You will only have limited service from Claro.

The 8830 only has GSM 900/1800 in it, and Claro is the only provider with service in the 900 band. The other two carriers are in the 1900 band.